1. Defender

Defender New Member

now what????????

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Defender, Feb 9, 2016.

okay so with all of your guys brilliant help, I've come up with a rough story concept, but dont know where to take the plot from here, heres what i have so far :
    1. Overpopulation brings about the emergence of two parties, the Ascendant and Dominion.
    2. Terraformation is discovered in Russia under the auspices of the Ascendant.
    3. Multiple planets are settled during the period known as the Age of Eden.
    4. The colonies eventually enter into war with each other over a technology struggle.
    5. During the war a device once dormant is reactivated, resulting in the arrival of a robot alien race.
    6. humanity is nearly obliterated and retreats to Earth where the Ascendant are still present.
    7. The Ascendant manage to unite the scattered and broken remnants of humanity, establishing the last bastion of civilization.
    8. The Ascendant use old technology to establish a defensive aura over the city known as the Dome.
    9. Perverted take over abandon human planets and begin to encroach through the desolate lands of Earth.
    10. Defenders are created to combat the Perverted effectively
    now this would become the fictional base, and the story im writing will be after all of this has already happened, the story will follow the journey of one of the Defenders, enhanced humans created to defende the last bastion of human civilization, while he finds a way to stop the alien progression? any ideas anyone? thanks :) !

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

So far, so good. You've now got a plausible back-story. This IS your starting point.

You're going to follow the story of one of the Defenders. In what way is he enhanced? Is he a cyborg, with superhuman abilities (speed, firepower, damage resistance?)? Is he arrogant because he is superior to the race that he is designed to protect? (Read Asimov's three laws of robotics) Or subservient to the superior beings who created him? (Read The Bicentennial Man by Asimov - not the film!) Or just "I love my planet, sir!" jingoistic? And how do his experiences while protecting Earth change him? THAT'S what the story's about.

Having decided that, you need to set up a series of encounters with the aliens, each of which presents him with a dilemma that will move him along his emotional journey. He can fight and sacrifice loved ones to win, he can lose the fight in order to save loved ones, he can give his life. He can discover compassion for, and comradeship with, his adversary.

Juggle all these, and lots more. It's your story, we can't write it by committee.

3. Defender

Defender New Member

yes he is supposed to be a cyborg, kinda like a robot with human consciousness, in terms of abilities i wanted something on the side of almost magic, but accessible only because he is robotic, where can he draw his powers from, he is humble, extremely silent, he is equal to humans he is human, just one that is stronger, and more apt at fighting off the other aliens. what i was thinking in terms of a starting point, maybe would be... the story starts with his revival after his consciousness was transferred, he has no memory of his past self, and before he can sort things out he is immediately put to work, as there is an attack on the city, and afterwards, he has to find a missing class of Defenders that went dark in alien territory for an unknown reason and he must find them, but in the course of doing so begins to uncover the truth about our fall and that the arrival of the Perverted, is just the beginning. But how would i begin this type of story? what would he do first?

4. Defender

Defender New Member

ps he will find and rescue a girl named Lina, as she is a member of the class he was trying to find but se was kidnapped by the aliens, but that is later and i dont know how to establish the path that leads there

5. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

With his lack of memory/history would he perhaps cling to identifying his fellow Defenders as 'family'? Develop strong emotional ties and drives associated with Defender causes - therefore when he hears information about a group that 'went dark' he would take that on as a personal agenda.

You can start with building reader empathy with his emotional state ( the complete loss of relation to anything, understanding that you can identify with this other group, working through understanding that his cohort has positives and negatives but that they are his 'family' anyway ) and through this process little tid-bits can be inserted to begin leading him towards taking on the goal of finding this lost group.

If I woke up with no memories I would think figuring out myself would be first, but if I was immediately thrown into battle it would be figuring out my head at the least and then moving on from there. Identifying a group of peers, setting up 'ties' through experiences and interactions.

6. Defender

Defender New Member

With his lack of memory/history would he perhaps cling to identifying his fellow Defenders as 'family'?
    Well first those are some good tips, thanks , and we'll in the beginning of the story, it kinda. Starts off with his strange awakening, he remembers nothing, not even that he was human, just that he is alive, and is needed, he might eventually develop a sense of brother hood but when he goes looking for them, its more of a task he was given, because up to this point no one still knows the lost class still exist, and mysteriously their records and symbols have been removed from the city archive, but not sure how to develop that part, because after he finds the group that is when he begins to learn things from the past that no one knows but will shape the category our race for ever

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

When he woke, it was to find his body was no longer his body. Different. It didn't answer his commands. It always used to. Or did it? He tried to think back to the last time he'd used those arms. He'd been canoeing. The power with which he could drive through the water, the feeling of skill as he broke into that eddy and the rear of the canoe had whipped around; using the current, not being at its mercy. Now he flexed his muscles, and they didn't respond. It was as if they'd forgotten how.

Or however you like.

Once you've written part of the story, you'll start to see what you need to keep, what you need to lose, what's the REAL starting point, what's THE END. You don't know any of that now. All that you know are some of the mountains in your story, the high points that you really must include. How you get there is up to you.

There's a story about a driver who's got lost, and stops to ask a local the way to Birmingham. The local stops and thinks for a moment, before saying (in a country bumpkin accent). "Well, if you want to get to Birmingham, I wouldn't start from here."

Writing's a bit like that; you can get there from anywhere, but nobody else would start from the same place as you.

8. Defender

Defender New Member

That is pretty sound and safe advice to take, and I will thanks! :)
    I'll be sure to post some of it when it's finished

9. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

So what if it becomes a task for him due to some of the 'older' Defenders seeking to safeguard their group from control/ownership/secondary citizen situations - the older Defenders ( or just one, maybe coming back from some hardware mishap - an older model that everyone thought was shutdown reawakens and knows stuff that the current group doesn't ) get some kind of hint that maybe the Ascendents or even the Dominion tried this kind of thing before ( cyborgs / superhumans / etc ) but when the results were too independent of their control the group 'disappeared'.

If you want to keep the lost group a complete and utter surprise maybe he's given direction to look for other situations out in the universe ( maybe other species tried similar things ) and the Defenders are looking for a way to control their own lives without any more blessings or restrictions than other beings.

10. Defender

Defender New Member

MelFyre likes this.
  11. Defender

Defender New Member

plus, that could be why the newer Defenders are without past memory, the Ascendant are dead, the Dominion have secretly taken over and are trying to wrest control, by making the mindless Defenders their enforcers, but they cannot because the Perverted are still a threat and they need the support and trust of the people?

MelFyre likes this.