1. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Teenage Reactions?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Corgz, Apr 12, 2012.

Okay... so i need some help... If you were a teenager... and you had just been kidnapped by people with guns and forced onto a plane with a heap of other teenagers... how would you react?

And then have a man wih a gun walks in tells you that you must all fight to the death?

Also, how would you portray your feelings in a book?

I would only imagine fear... shock and sadness...

2. Sam M

Sam M Member

Terrified. That feeling of "there is no hope of surviving". Helplessness. Shocked, maybe a bit. Hate, hate towards the guy with the gun. Also feeling sorry for the people who had absolutely no hope.

Judging by stuff from Holocaust etc, all the emotions would be so overwhelming, I would be unable to describe them. That phrase is a bit cliché though.

3. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Uh... I guess I would roll around on the floor in fear or just completely shut down or something like that... I'm afraid I'm not much help.

4. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Sam M: Thats exactly right, its too much to describe! thats why i need help! Thankyou!

Cassiopeia Phoenix: Thats a great help! I have one girl who has completely shut down already though!

There are 20 kids, the main charachter, Jasper, is stricken with fear and sorrow although he is trying to act brave. Another main called Salem who is trying to act tough and brave and be the boss but finally starts to break down after being told that they have tyo kill eachother, and also another boy named Sanjo who is taking it as an adventure. Oh, and another girl that really couldn't give a flying shit about any of it and jsut see's it as an innconvieniance.... 4 down, 16 to go -_-

5. Sam M

Sam M Member

Have you got the overconfident buff guy who treats this as a warm up to his boxing match later that day? ;)

6. Corgz

Corgz New Member

That's Salem. He ends up dying a pre' gruesome death. Hes the bossy self centered 'jock' kind of guy from america.. :p yeah :p

7. Erato

Erato New Member

If it was me... first I'd be surreptitiously looking for a weakness or a way out. Depending on what my life had been like beforehand I might do any number of things, from banging on a door, to huddling in a corner, to attacking the guys with the guns... but that last would take a lot, very few teens would actually do that. If it came down to the fight, I'd be hiding and protecting myself and my friends. Assuming I had friends. Other than that, what Sam M said.

It sounds a bit like the Hunger Games, though. Teens are made to fight to the death?

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That, and I'd likely be thinking about all the horrific things I'd do to my kidnappers' families and use that rage to keep me sane.

I know, not a picture of perfect mental health to focus rage on people who weren't responsible for my situation, but hey, you told me to imagine what I'd do there.

9. Erato

Erato New Member

Grrr.

10. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

As a teenager myself, I can honestly say that my reaction would be to be like:"Is this a joke? Is this some sort of Just For Laughs gag?"

Then, upon realizing it is serious,"Screw this. I'm going to find a way out."

There will probably be a mass escape before a week has passed.

11. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Thanks guys!
    The hunger games is what it was loosely based off except it is comepletly different! There are two teams, not 12, and there is 18 people (Originally 20 but the kidnappers kill the 2 that speak no english). It is set in the present, and normal kids are kidnapped from around the world and then placed on an island fileld with cameras. The cameras broadcast to yachts jsut off the island where rich people bet on who will win/die first and so on. So yeah.. its really different...

And they can't escape. The cameras are on them all the time, and if they even try to escape, the kidnappers shoot them down before they make it 100 meters from the tropical island.

12. EAGLE

EAGLE New Member

In your case I would have the MC trying to act brave and fearless, but then also show behind the scenes he is terrified as all hell.

May I also make a suggestion try not to base your story off of an already published novel/series. I did mine on Halo was a long time and realized it just seemed very unoriginal. So I scrapped a 30,000 word story and started fresh.

13. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Trust me, its hardly like the Hunger Games, other then the facts that the kids kill eachother, thats it.
    Also, i have already planned a sequel... or a prequel... of a previous game... The MC of this books comes across the skeleton remains of a previous fighter, and the prrequl is the story of that fighter and how he died...

14. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

It's perfectly okay to draw inspiration from another story; the Hunger Games trilogy is itself inspired by Battle Royal.

As for the reaction, it would be pretty extreme. Most people will be extremely anxious and have racing thoughts. People are likely to be in denial about the reality of the situation at first, at least until the man with the gun starts to kill some of them.

15. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Make sure you are careful to pick the right particular high school, the correct social demographic and the believable teenager to make the dominoes fall for the purposes of your story.

At my high school there was so much machismo and the halls rife with so many switchblades that we would have sliced up the kidnapper for fun, or taken him prisoner to gladiator fight his own mother with baseball bats.

Don't pick an inner city American school, for example. They have better handguns than you do, they are merciless, they have long memories, and not fighting is an example of "weakness."

16. Corgz

Corgz New Member

It isn't in a highschool, none of the kids no eachother because they are all from different parts of the world! And they are on a plane and are comepletely defenceless to the kidnappers! So yeah...

17. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Even that premise has limits. The kids have to be taken from areas where the act of kidnapping is possible.

For example, I've seen a picture of three teenage girls laughing and going to a mall in Israel. One of the girls had a micro-Uzi over her shoulder.

To the contrary, many upscale gated communities have wealthy powder-puff students, but their parents have body guards.

Mafia children make lousy choices.

Those are examples I thought of in mere moments.

18. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

The reaction would vary according to the back ground of the kid. Most average kids would be in shock not sure if it was real or not. They wouldn't know what to do. A street kid or some other personality may fight back. You would assume if the kids were those few would miss then they might have some street smarts or survival instincts. The age of the kids would also play a roll. You get a bunch of kids at the age they're rebelling against adults they may also try something if there is a leader among them to get things moving.

19. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I agree. Now, the OP has to complete that thought.

The OP must find children who are easy to find, identitfy and snatch with some ease. However he would also have to locate a kid(s) willing to kill some one else, but not the kidnapper. The kid would have to be schooled in weapons or martial arts, just not able to employ those tools and skills during the kidnapping.

As for 'street kids,' beware a character like me. I'd form a circle, much like Spartacus.

I'd tell my fellow captives, "Hey, if we're going to die, let's take as many of these fools with us as we can."

If that analogy jumps a generation, then cite the modern Starbuck in BSG. She said, "We'll fight 'em till we can't."

I saw a plot device on TV a few years ago where a "Saw" wannabee put three girls into a locked room with two hammers. Had that been me, we would have drawn straws to see who gets the privilege to kill our jailer.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

much depends on the teenager... girl or boy?... outgoing, or shy?... brave or bold?... a physically fit jock, or a weakling nice-nelly?... has some survival skills, or can't survive without all the comforts of home?

'fear, shock and sadness' won't be the reaction of all teens, as they're not clones... it's your story, so it's up to you, as the writer, to create a character who feels and reacts the way you need him/her to, for the story to go how you want it to...

21. Dubya

Dubya New Member

Never assume all people react in the same way. Just watched a news report where a young couple behind a shop counter fought off an armed gunman by shouting and poking him with a stick. I am a long way from being a teenager, and usually quite mild-mannered but on an occasion when I thought someone was breaking into my house, my overwhelming emotion was anger, rather than fear. (B****y nerve of some low-life s**t invading my personal space!) So I would expect a wide variety of reactions from your teenagers.

22. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Soooooo, it was easy to kidnap most of them, most of the time no one was around or it was reall dark. And the fact that they aren't trained in mrtial arts is what makes it better because its just NORMAL kids fighting...

23. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

You know if you put this story in the right direction this could be pretty mindblowingly splendid. Kinda like Hunger Games, but it's a good similarity. Not a rip-off, as long as you mix and spice it up with cool new ideas this could be a great story. Traumatizing, agonizing, pain, fear, aggression, hope , remorseful, guiltiness, pride, courage.. all of those for me. If you can build up all those themes and set your stones in the right place this story could unfold with a powerful message. Please, continue this story and don't give up on this idea. Your one of the many people on here with good ideas, don't give up on it.

24. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Thankyou :3 it started as sort of a fan fiction but then i thought, hell with this and changed it around completely!

25. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Ah, the special writers to me urge to create something great, expanding into a rapid cycle of creativity and amazing ideas. Fanfictions adapted into full original novels is a really good thing.