1. chaoserver

chaoserver Member

Need discipline and structure to churn this book out.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by chaoserver, Feb 14, 2012.

So I've been writing a novel(fantasy multi perspective) and am a hundred pages in, not counting notes. When I get into my groove theres times where I have just written and gotten great stuff on the page. But many days I sit down and tell myself I will write my mind somehow wanders, I end up surfing the web, or scouring and editing previous chapters fanatically(the latter has been a huge problem).

I have a stable living situation and can dedicate nearly all my time to writing as I have a good paying-low time investment job, so I really want to nail this and get draft one done. I have always had an addictive personality, so random things can prove a massive distraction. Not to mention my sleeping schedule is utterly out of whack. Any tips from people in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for down the road with editors, agents, and publishing is great. I am confident in my work itself, just need the right guidance to get it to its final form.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

First of all, you've already done the hard part - identifying the problem. You are very lucky to have the time you have. Here are some suggestions. I doubt any of them will come as a shock.

1. Get on a regular sleeping schedule. Or at least semi-regular. Sleep is your body's restorative time. Without it, you become disoriented and make bad decisions (as well as risking health issues). Also leave some time in your day for physical exercise. I used to run, which was always a great way to clear my head and work through problems. Very good if you're stuck in your writing. I no longer run but I do walk a lot. Walking allows me to work through all sorts of problems even more efficiently because I'm not busy monitoring what's going in in my body as I run (too fast? breathing problems? how's the knee feel? watch the pothole...). Physical exercise will also help you get onto a better sleep pattern.

2. I know the feeling of "really want(ing) to nail this" and get the first draft done. Think about that every time you're tempted to give in to a distraction or go back to previous chapters. At the same time, remember that the more you race through the first draft, the more editing you'll have to do later on.

3. On the subject of editing as you go, this has been discussed recently elsewhere. I don't try to edit (except to correct obvious errors as I'm writing) while I'm still working on a first draft. Too distracting, too time-consuming, too much potential for losing trains of thought. Others may disagree, and that's fine for them, but it sounds like you are one of us. Every time you're tempted to go back, promise yourself that there will be plenty of time for editing when the first draft is done.

4. Allow some time in your day for play. Seriously. Whether your thing is video games, or surfing the web, or music or films or combinations thereof, allow some time to give yourself over to them. It will allow your creative mind to recharge its batteries and lessen the temptation of distractions when you are writing.

5. Understand that, even with all that, you will still have distractions at times. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Good luck.

Andrae Smith and jazzabel like this.
  3. chaoserver

chaoserver Member

Thanks, all good advice! I think its time I really set up a schedule to achieve my potential. Maybe weekends can be my "play" time as well as an hour a day. I'll figure something out for sure.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

This is pretty much word for word the problem I'm having too.
    I find that for me yoga helps immensely. I've not been too well lately (flu, asthma, blah), so unable to do any yoga for some months, and my everything is out of whack - concentration, enthusiasm, sleep, sense of well being, ideas, hope for the future, confidence...
    I think regular exercise coupled with a daily schedule of around 4-5 hours of writing (to music, with little tea breaks every hour or so) should do it.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

5. chaoserver

chaoserver Member

I bought a planner today and sat down with my GF and typed up an in depth schedule from diet to workouts, to leisure and writing sections. I'm a fitness model so I think it will be huge to remove my anxiety about losing $ while I'm secluded writing, by having set periods I'm online. Also allowing guilt free leisure time is good- with set times to check emails and Facebook.

I bought an Alphasmart 3000 and hope it solves the problem of my eyes bothering me from long staring, which leads to excuses.

I hope this all works out as great as I'm anticipating!

6. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

edited

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You do realize you're expecting a response on a 5-1/2 year old thread, and the member you're asking hasn't visited the site in a year and a half, right? :)

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

2012 was 5+ years ago?

Not that it invalidates your comment.

9. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

edited

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  10. GingerCoffee

"Chaoserver was last seen: Mar 14, 2012" It would have been an interesting answer. Maybe a PM will still reach him.

11. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

edited

12. GingerCoffee

I thought your post was fine, I had no issue with you reviving the thread. But I've done it myself, accidentally replying to an old post, so it made sense for Cog to point it out as well.