Need help about high school

Discussion in 'Research' started by architectus, Oct 30, 2008.

1. zorell

zorell New Member

I didn't realize that you didn't want dated slang:redface:, but I think a few of those aren't dated. Then again, alot of the old slang resurfaces like Retro style.

2. architectus

architectus Banned

emily

Yeah, I used freaking, freakin', friggin' a lot when writing for teen characters, especially because I don't like the F word.

3. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I've always called it 2nd periond, and Emily is right, freaking/freakin/friggin are really common, so is "hella" also, there alot of swearing, but a couple people already said that...I think everyone has pretty much ccovered everything else I would say :)

4. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

I know you've already received numerous replies, but I thought I'd give you my input. I am currently attending High School.

Either one. At my school, it's usually second hour, but I've heard second period just as much. :)

Yes, most of them.

Hallways

We don't have an outdoor eating area at my school. There doesn't have to be one.

Some boys use that type of language, but not that often.

Yes, very much so.

"Totally" isn't used that much anymore.

Sure. Some girls use "so", but not very many boys.

It's used moderately.

I don't think I've ever heard this one at my school or from my friends.

No, I've never heard that one.

Yes! And, if you ask me, it's over-used.

Just a few words that are over-used nowadays: Gay (You may have heard the commercials for the term "That's so Gay." This is the most popular slang term, in my opinion), Stupid, Idiot, "Lesbo" for lesbian, Retard, Skater, Yo, What up?, Dawg, Homie "G" (Yeah, I know, but kids say it.), Most cuss words are used excessively.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope I've been helpful!

5. love2listen

love2listen New Member

its pretty common to intersperse Spanish expressions in conversation. when I was in high school that was big.

"hola! what's going on?"
    "hey, chica, how was your date?"
    "I havent talked to you in a while! Como estas?"

I didnt even go to a Hispanic school. it was just the thing

6. zorell

zorell New Member

It's still a thing now, but it's closer to "proper" Spanglish with gringo pronunciations.

7. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

I will be a freshman next year. I live in Massachusetts by the way. Some of the words may change in different areas.

Period. No one would know what you're saying if you said 'hour'.

I don't think they're really lectures, more like lessons.

Halls. Just halls, sometimes hallways. I would have no idea what someone was saying if the said 'walkways'.

Also I have questions about slang.

Are the following still used.

Cool, yes. Man, not so much.

Not really.

No

Yes.

No

No

Noo, that'd be kind of akward.

Sometimes, but rarely.

8. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I graduated from high school a few years ago, but still stay in touch with a lot of friends from back home. going to go straight down the line.

1. Period is what i've heard used the most.
    2.They do lecture, but unlike college, students rarely call them lectures.
    3.hallways...also heard the phrase hangers though that could be regional.
    4. courtyard.
    slang--
    1. cool, is used more like "it's cool," man may be used but not that often.
    2.Dude is used
    3.Awesom no.
    4.Totally not used.
    5. Lame is mostly used by females not males.
    6.never heard the phrase "get out" but "go out" yeah.
    7.girl i haven't heard used, though that could be reigional and or racial.

9. Serenity

Serenity New Member

I'm a freshman in a fairly typical public school (if a little more academically oriented than most schools) on the east coast.

Second period. Hours are almost never used. Somebody mentioned blocks earlier, I was under the impression that those were simply two periods grouped into one (i.e. my science lab is a "block" because it's two periods long. We usually just call it "lab" though).

They're rarely called lectures and, when they are, it's usually jokingly. We just call them "classes." Discussions isn't really used unless you're referring to the entire class engaging in a discussion, where everyone has the chance to speak their mind.

Halls or hallways. Students mostly use "halls", while teachers will occasionally use "hallways".

We just say "outside."

Cool is still widely used. Other good ones are "sweet" and "sick" and "freaking awesome." On that note, "freaking" and it's derivatives are widely used. Man is usually used interchangeably with dude. When addressing a group of people, "guys" is usually used (i.e. "hey guys!")

It's used quite often, along with "sweet" and "sick."

Totally is only used by girls and some of the more artsy boys.

The first example is used a lot by girls but not so much with guys. The second example is relatively universal. Honestly, it's more the amount of emphasis placed on the "so." A girl, for example, usually drags out the "o" sound and puts a lot of emphasis on it. A guy will have slight emphasis, if any.

It's still used, along with man.

Lame is used occasionally. "Stupid" is used a lot more, along with "that's ****," and "that's retarded." Probably the most common word is "gay" which has been given the same meaning as "lame".

"No way!" is more common, along with "seriously?", "really?" and "you're kidding!"

This depends on who's saying it. The less mature kids/gangsters/skaters/etc will slur it as "wassup" while the more mature kids will use "what's up" or "how's it going."

What other types of slang are you looking for? There are a lot of gay/homosexual slang words/jokes that go around, a lot of sexual references etc, though those aren't my forte, and I'm not sure what the rules are for posting things like that.

In addition, "like" is said a lot, especially by girls, and the "that's what she said" and "your mom" jokes are still common.

"Sketchy" is used fairly often when something looks awkward or makes the speaker feel uncomfortable.

"Chill," as someone mentioned earlier, is often used to tell someone to calm down (*angry jock decides to beat you up* "dude, chill!") or to describe someone as cool (not really popular, more the idea that nothing seems to faze them).

Remember, a lot of the slang varies from clique to clique.

10. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

You have everything mostly correct, except in terms of "hour vs period" at MY high school it's kinda mixed. Between students we call them hours, but I've heard a few people and teachers refer to them as periods so....I guess we interchange the terms.

The outside area for lunch....I don't think we have a name for it, lol. It's just called "eating outside" as far as I know.

In terms of slang, pretty much everything you said is still used, except "lame" now adays has been replaced with "gay", although I personally don't like that. If you don't want to offend people "stupid" is a better substitute.

"Girl", like someone said before, is usually used by African-American/gangsta/white boys who think they're black.

"Get out" is SOMETIMES used, although I've heard other girls more of using "No way!" and "Shut up!" in its place.

"So" is still used, but many girls nowadays also tend to say "like" every other word (more or less). Example:

Girl 1: "So like, did you see that girl's purse? Ohmagawd, it's like sooo cute!"
    Girl 2: "Ohmagawd, I like know right?! I like, so totally want one!"

(Note: girls talking like that tend to be really brainless, in my honest opinion.)

Yes, we call them "hallways" or simply the "hall" if talking about one.

Yes our teachers give lectures sometimes.

Girls who sleep around are called "sluts" and most girls who are friends have this weird obsession with slapping each other's butts.

I can't think of anything else to tell you....

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I'm a seventeen year old kid. So I guess that still means I'm in high school.

We'd say something like "I have Greene second period". Where I go, you drop the teacher's title when talking with your friends - may be rude, but some teachers (generally the younger ones) don't mind, only if you're talking about other teachers.

of course.

Hallways, though we rarely use that word anyways. We always get around it somehow, like saying "I was walking near Mrs. Smith's room and blah blah blah", instead of saying "I was in the hallway near Mrs. Smith's room and blah blah blah". I think there's a higher chance we'd use hallway if we're talking with a teacher or some other adult, though.

It's called the "Commons" where I go. Except the kids aren't allowed to eat there anymore.

Cool, awesome, so (especially so), get out, are still used commonly enough.

Totally is not used a lot, but you won't look weird for using it. Same with "dude" and "lame".

Girl is used a lot, though not a lot by any of the white or asian kids, moreso the black and hispanic ones.

As for other slang, the word that immediately jumps to mind is "gay". It is pretty much an all purpose insulting adjective here. You could say "This essay is so gay!", or "He's the gayest teacher ever!". It has a strong connotation, but not as strong as outright cussing.

"Retarded" also could work, and I'd say that it is arguably a little lighter than gay. Examples: "This essay is retarded", or "Mr. Smith is a total retard."

Also, "lol" as an everyday conversational word is actually quite prevalent, and not just amongst the nerds and geeks. "pwned" and "owned" are more used by the nerds and geeks, though not always. "rape" is also used now and then (which I really don't like, but), as in "I raped that essay, yay!"

"Wooow" is often used as sarcasm, for example:

"I finally got my first B ever!"

"Wooooww...."

12. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

(I'm 14, I'll be a freshman next year)

As said above, girls tend to say "like" every other word. Especially the popular, rich ones.
    "Gay" is used as "stupid" or as an insult.
    "Retard" is used too but not as much.
    "Lame" isn't really used by anyone.
    "pwned" or "owned" isn't used much anymore. (Words tend to have phases)
    There's also some jokes that are used regularly. Such as, "That's what she said". (I'm not sure if this goes for every school.
    Ex. 1: AH! That hurt! 2: That's what she said.
    Ex. 1: Harder! 2: That's what she said.
    It's meant sexually, if you get it.
    "Cool" is used frequently.
    "Wassup"
    "Heck","friggin","snap" ect. are usually just said as "hell","****ing", and "****".

13. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

"Shiz" is also used in place of "****" at my school.

My school also has a "That's what she said!" craze going on.

A lot of high schoolers also might say "You would" when talking to a friend or someone they know. Example:

Person1: Dude, I worked on my car for so long yesterday I didn't even bother doing that stupid essay.
    Person 2: Yeah, you would.

Not sure how widespread this one is, but a lot of people in my school also make "last night" jokes in a sexual manner.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Actually, come to think of it, "Yo mama" jokes are still prevalent at my school, although I think they're outdated elsewhere (though "Your mom" is much, much more commonly used than "Yo mama"). The "That's what she said!" stuff is kind of starting up, too.

15. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

Oh yeah! That was the joke I couldn't think of, XD.

Example of "your mom" joke:

Person1: Ack! Did you see the way that girl was looking at me?!
    Person2: Your mom was looking at me last night.

They're also used sexually in the same manner as "that's what she said" and "last night" jokes, as you can tell.

16. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

Yo mama jkes ae way out at my school but "You would" is used. Personally, I hate when people say "You would" after somebody just did something. Obviously they would because they just did.

17. zaphod

zaphod Member

I would keep something in mind that all high schools are different, based on what community they are in.

The school I went to was built in starting in the 1950's and was partly outdoors. We had a lot of vocational stuff on campus, from welding to IT training. A lot of students did this or the military instead of college. I would say there was more interest on the student as well.

Then my family moved, and I got put in a another school. The campus itself was entirely indoors in one large building, closed off. The students didn't have a lot of freedom and the faculty didn't seem to care as much since apparently our parents would do everything. It was all very "suburban" how you say in attitude and mindset, and I mean that in the most negative way possible.

The difference can be radical and night and day. There are still small towns where high school students can go home for lunch, and there are suburban schools that function like prisons/teenage day care.

So I suppose you don't have to stress or bend your plot around the setting, when you could simply put as a back story the way this ficitional high school is the way it is. What kind of town does your story take place in?