Need help creating a plot that involves a female lead that isn't into watching sports

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MisterOz_GatorLover, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MisterOz_GatorLover

MisterOz_GatorLover New Member

One thing is certain: the idea of having her win a pageant is a much better idea than the one about her saving people in ONE ACT. If anyone can dispute me on that, please do so.

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

What do you mean by One Act?

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Yes, I know, that's why it would make the main character so exceptional :)

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But you forgot the basketweaving!

ChickenFreak

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Oh good. :D

Actually that sounds like an interesting and possibly great idea for some comedy. Some really buff guy tap dancing and... or basketweaving because ChickenFreak is right we can' forget that... and trying to win a Bodybuiler contest this way.

Well I'd pay to see it. Don't think it work to well as a novel.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Thanks Islander last thing I needed was a new story idea but hmm - now I have a centenarian centurions the rock band and the first ever male beauty pageant :)

7. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

What I miss is what you want to achieve by let her winning something.
    Gain selfrespect? Get famous?

I liked the suggestion to let her win a photography contest. It's gender neutral, it's artistic, it's a craft not many master.

8. Thesist

Thesist New Member

Maybe she could save somebody?

9. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

If you're set on her at least entering a beauty pageant, then maybe you could have her enter it and get sucked into that world. She starts dieting, and hating her body because she's not as "pretty" as the other girls. Sure she's doing well on the catwalk and such. However she's starting to hate herself, though she thought she'd love herself since she's proving to everyone she's pretty. But deep inside she knows she's become shallow. Anyway, the real triumph she could have is breaking free of that world and realising that she doesn't need anyone else to tell her that she's worth something.

10. MisterOz_GatorLover

Is this a joke Thesist? Are you a troll? If not, you KNOW I HATE those suggestions. It wouldn't work with this story.

11. MisterOz_GatorLover

Good one. I've kind of thought of taking that route and just might. Or something along those lines. Like winning a singing competition and signing with a major label and realizing that she'll only be a puppet as a major label artist.

And anyone thinking of suggesting that my character save somebody, please don't. That idea makes the beauty pageant idea seem like the best one. The idea of her saving somebody is stupid, thoughtless, and doesn't involve hard work. Why would anyone think of a stupid idea like that?

12. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I had nightmares about this thread weeks ago. I can't believe it's still alive.

13. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

me too , better yet me three !

14. MisterOz_GatorLover

You know why I don't want anyone suggesting that I have my female lead save people? Because I've already got a character who does that. A male with asperger's based off of James Durbin who PROTECTS girls who are stalking targets of Iolani football players. Satisfied now?

15. art

art Contributor Contributor

I really do fear you rejected the female saves lives idea too quickly because you never fully grasped what folk were getting at. I think you need to look into the female saves lives idea more. I don't think one soul had in mind the sort of scenario in which a female plucks a drowning child from a river - which is what I suspect you read into the 'female saves lives' line - but rather that a female would save lives (and render them more meaningful) through sustained excellence, compassion and conscientiousness in some (likely) professional capacity: doctor, counsellor etc..and it follows that the gratitude of some of her patients etc will trump the cheap, hollow acclaim accorded to the ball player.

I think, by the by, that a novel can just about sustain two decent characters; one of whom will be an Asperger's chap who protects lives and one of whom will be a female who saves lives.

16. MisterOz_GatorLover

Perhaps. But I don't like the idea now. Maybe I'll like it later.

17. art

I detect a slight softening! :D

Good luck with whatever you go with.

18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But I thought that by your definition, saving people didn't involve any effort. So why do you want a character doing something so useless?

ChickenFreak

19. MisterOz_GatorLover

It sounded like a bad idea AT THE TIME. I didn't like the context of her suggestion. Does that answer satisfy you or is it over your head?

20. MisterOz_GatorLover

I want my female lead to gain positive notoriety and fame. To be a face almost everybody recognizes in Hawaii. If you don't like that and think fame is superficial, don't comment. IT NEEDS TO GO WITH THE STORY. She can't help it if people begin to recognize her. Anyway, please offer suggestions or help me think of some.

This is hard as hell. She could win multiple surfing contests or win a singing competition that isn't American Idol. But please offer suggestions that don't include saving people. That idea makes winning a beauty pageant look like a genius idea. If I don't hear anything, I'll post another thread asking the same question but being more specific about the needs.

21. art

Having thought about this some more, I'm beginning to see why you think saving lives wouldn't work here. Saving lives is not always what it's cracked up to be.

To that end - and thinking about the sort, and extent, of the fame you require here - I would suggest something along these lines.

Ok. She grabs the attention of a TV producer - by maybe a beauty contest win, or an appearance in an overnight Youtube sensation, or a wet tshirt contest victory - who puts her into a reality TV show. Have her win that Big Brother show(whatever). Then I think maybe The Dog should draft her into his famous bounty hunting team. She'll be fighting crime and running round in tight shorts. All possible boxes will be ticked. She'll be strong, sexy, and a vital force for good in the community.

The only problem with all this, is that it is very 'now' - the reality TV bit, the Dog the Bounty Hunter bit - and three or four generations from now, when your novel is still being read, this may date the book somewhat.

22. MisterOz_GatorLover

One thing is certain--I can't have her be a talentless reality star like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian. Those are not the kind of people that young girls should consider female role models.

23. HBAdams

HBAdams New Member

OH. MAN.

So, after giggling my way through all ten pages of this thread, I have an idea that I'm surprised nobody else has suggested.

I understand this girl has Asthma, but why should this prevent her from playing sports? As you listed as one of her interests, she loves the gym, which can be pretty intense physical activity. I myself have asthma, but that doesn't stop me from doing anything active. They have inhalers that treat outbreaks, ones that you take daily to suppress it, etc.

So! What I suggest you could do with her is make her aspire to overcome her asthma by joining a sports team that rivals your male MC's.(I'm assuming the general setting is high school or college) She could be a transfer student, since you said she's not from Hawaii originally, and she could joint a soccer team, or a field hockey team, or basketball team. Have the teams competing for like, a school grant for their sport. Then she can beat him, overcome her asthma, and still look good doing it.

Ta da!

Also, many apologies for reviving the dead and beaten horse.

24. Vance

Vance New Member

Have her enter a sandwich making tournament because--IT WAS A JOKE GUYS DON'T HURT ME!

25. Kio

Kio New Member

^Does that even exist? A sandwich making contest, I mean.

Things that people are notable for besides saving lives:

1. Winning an olympic medal (it has nothing to do with WATCHING sports...)
    2. Being an anchorwoman (for Hawaii???)
    3. Being an actress
    4. Being a singer
    5. Winning the Nobel Prize

I really can't think of much else. There is more, but nothing is coming to me.