1. Dekian

Dekian New Member

Need help for a Charter name.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Dekian, Jul 8, 2010.

I'm writing a Mafia story for a pencil and paper game the setting is fantasy fiction and I have a charter who is a Giant Capo(caption) I just need a good name for him as he is a tough guy and is the one that will beat information out of people.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Daisykins

3. Dekian

Dekian New Member

how would you say that name? Dai-sy-kins, day-sy-kens?

4. Cogito

Day zee kinz, with a bit of a lilt.

By charter, do you mean character?

5. OvershadowedGuy

OvershadowedGuy New Member

Cool nicknames are the best.

Call him 'The situation', cuz everywhere he goes he causes a situation.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

LOL @ Cog and Overshadowed. :D

Is this a villain?

How 'bout.....Twinklefairy?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

some fairly well-known charter names:

Magna Carta
    Articles of Confederation
    Declaration of Independence

1 person likes this.
  8. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

MM, that's naughty.

9. Mallory

Great point Maia :)

10. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Heheh. I like the way no one's giving a serious answer...

11. Mallory

we're poking gentle fun at the OP. :)

12. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Actually, Magna Carta would be a pretty cool name. But, if male, you'd be subjected to possibly being nicknamed "Maggy". Maggy Carta XD.

13. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    You could make someone call him that... just to see what happens. Magna Carta does sound like a pretty cool name. It's a bit Stan Lee.

14. Mallory

I like :D

15. Dekian

Dekian New Member

yes I do and to answer another question yeah he is a villain

Maggy Carta is a cool name but I would have to make another Girl charter.

16. Cogito

...and yet, you are still typing charter instead of character. Thw two words are not interchangeable.

Really, if you can't come up with a name for your character without asking for help, how will you ever make the much harder choices a writer must make?

Even if you need to use a placeholder name for now, you should practice making your writing decisions by yourself.

17. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Go to a website that helps parents name their kids. Those are good places to find names. Seriously though you ought to make this decision on your own. Don't let others write things for you. Have confidence in your own writing. :)

18. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

*Still Laughing From the Charter Thing* Okay, okay, time to get serious. Even if we give you names, only you, the writer, will know which one's right. A bit of his personality please? If you don't have much on his characterization he's probably a plot device and his name doesn't really matter.

19. Dekian

Dekian New Member

well I've came up with Tony but I'm not sure if it fit's his character. he works for the mob as a Capo (captain) but you first see him in prison probably for robbing or even a murder. A lower Mafia member who is a Soldier his name is Keith, let's himself get captured for a lower crime and recruits the players who are already in prison to help him brake out.
    seance "Tony" is a Giant he is about 7'3 and 246LB all muscle. I'm not sure how someone that big would get captured but I'm guessing he was swarmed by guards or Tasered. ether way he is important enough for the Soldier to go through all that trouble to get him out of prison where I believe most mob's would abandon someone who was captured.

PS: that better spelling? I don't work on my spelling while in forms but I guess in a Writing forum I should.
    oh and spell sucks because some words look too similar and I click the wrong one.

20. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

I think, with all due respect, that you have bigger issues than the name of your character at the moment. You need to work on your spelling, grammar and punctuation. Otherwise, we need to mentally edit your posts into something we can read, which takes effort we could be devoting to solving your problem.

In any case, there is absolutely nothing we can do for you. A name is something that a character grows into, not something that is applied to a finished person. Think of this character's parents- what name would they give? Why would they give it? What connotations does that name have- to them, to society as a whole, to the person?

(If your story is set in a world where people pop into being at age twenty and pick their own names, disregard the above)

I'm named for my grandfather. He was in World War II. An officer. Whenever I think about that, all I feel is how I'm not yet living up to that memory, to that name. He was named after a president, which is a fairly common occurrence- being named after celebrities or movie stars. Think of your storyworld's history- were there any really big names about twenty to forty years ago that your character's parents might have used?

We don't pick our own names. Our parents do. And, unless I'm horribly mistaken, you can ask them why they chose your name. Use that as reference.

21. Dekian

Dekian New Member

Thanks for the honest answer. I am aware of my horrible spelling and even worse grammar. I spend too much time on MSN and no one cares about any of those. thanks for the "who would his parent's name him after" bit. I was named after my father and him after his.

PSis there any where I can go online to re learn all the proper grammar rules? I was looking a few years ago and couldn't find anything.

22. OvershadowedGuy

Snookie's good too, then you can have the other characters refer to your character by everything but that. Snickers, Snook's, Snick.... Would be a creative and original idea.

23. Mallory

Ahaha....Snookie was SOOOO annoying.

Dekian, I hope you weren't offended by our teasing earlier. We weren't trying to be mean or anything, we just thought the "charter" thing was a little funny (and not in a malicious way).

Looking online for grammar/spelling is an excellent idea. Just write your story, then when it's done (or after each chapter maybe) look for spelling/grammar mistakes and then have another person (like a teacher or someone who's good at grammar) edit it for you. Remember, grammar/spelling are crucial tools for a writer and for anyone, but creativity and the ability to create a plot and characters are what makes the difference between writers and everyone else.

24. OvershadowedGuy

If he's huge you betta call him ronnie. 'roided out italians are usually named ronnie.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above, re your writing probs and needing to make your own decisions...

and, fyi, a mafioso named 'keith' is beyond believability!

so is a 7+-foot tall hit man... for one thing, he'd be too easy to find, too hard to hide, so wouldn't make a successful criminal of any kind... and with only 246 # at 7'3" he'd be a string bean, not 'all muscle'...