1. Suzette

Suzette New Member

Need Help Making Characters with This Idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Suzette, Feb 21, 2017.

So a while back, I had an idea come to me for a webcomic. I already have a few characters thought up and I know what I would like my setting to be, I just need help continuing the character process.

The whole idea is that all of the characters appear physically as they mentally and emotionally see themselves through symbolism. For example: one of the characters I have already created has goat horns to show her hardheadedness and rebellious nature, her pointed and drooping ears show her as a lost sheep.

If you could give me ideas for different characters and symbolism, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

You sound like you have a good idea, but perhaps once thing to do is look up symbolism or totem animals to build your characters with.

For example, in shamanic practices the wolf is seen as a wise teacher.

Maybe a parrot for a talkative person?

3. Garnovski

Garnovski New Member

Are all of those animal-related? I could see variances in body shapes, such as a tall person who sees his/herself as a leader, muscles or lack of muscles to represent mental strength or even someone literally made of diamond because he/she sees his/herself as unbreakable. Beauty or ugliness could also scale well with the person's self esteem. Bigger or smaller heads would show perceived intelligence. Also, depending of the story's settings, I could see physical resemblances to known people or character, such as a self-perceived liberator rocking the che guevara hat, or a tyrant wearing Hitler's mustache.

Otherwise, some animal traits that would hit me as representative would be:
    A lion for a leader
    Snake for a devious person
    Fox for a clever one
    Some kind of old ape for wisdom
    peacock for pride
    kitten features for someone who sees their cuteness as a feature
    Wings for resourcefulness
    Bear for strength
    Sheep for... well... sheepish personality
    etc