Need help naming my protagonist

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jazzabel, Feb 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. joanna

joanna Active Member

I really like Lilith -- no matter if it's cliche. It's just a name. Or Lila.

2. AJ Winters

AJ Winters New Member

What about something completely un-girly? For example, "Sonny" or "Zephan"? Maybe that could contribute to her anti-social-ness or how people first judge her?

Or perhaps, seeing as it is set in the future, she could have a really old-fashioned name like some of these:
    http://www.angelfire.com/id2/heathersnamepage/old_fashioned_names.html

If not, what about something like Saoirse (Ser-sha), Maddigan, Vada or Vera?
    Good luck! :)

3. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

I am so calling my first daughter Vader, and always wanted to call a son Gaius or Leonidas.

My kids will hate me...

4. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Why can't you use those names? Because someone else did?

Twilight used vampires, you're willing to try to re-invent them, why not use violet?

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It's mainly because I chickened out of what I wanted my name to be - Lilith. I've adored that name since I was a kid and I always believed that my female protagonist will be called that, but the name is just so underused in the West that I panicked. I kinda want to give my book the best fighting chance I can, and I would hate to prejudice people against it by choosing a cliche topic (vampires, but the context I am confident is quite fresh) and then a cliche name for that topic.
    I am sure if I was more confident I wouldn't be making such a fuss about it all, though. But names are my weak point and now I can't find anything that I like as much.
    Violet I am definitely considering. Also, Scarlet. Both colours, both end in -t, how bizarre!

6. jazzabel

Aww, I am so glad I am not the only one! It is such a lovely name isn't it?

@AJ Winters: hey, thanks a lot for that link, it has great names! I am just looking through :)

@Kallitrix: :D yes, what you said reminded me of this list
    Gaius is going to get a poor boy crucified at school, I feel sorry for him already :D

7. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I really like Violet. Scarlett is nice too, but perhaps a bit too 'themed' with blood?

Lilith is a great name, but I'd struggle to picture anyone other than Frasier's ex-wife!

8. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I'm also bad with names. To get around it, however, I like to name my characters with intentional references. For example, your character has some ballet influences that you don't wish to show in the plot, but you can get away with naming her after a famous character from a ballet like Odette in Swan Lake. To be extra cautious it's easier to name characters after historical figures than other characters, but if you do, public domain is public.

9. Domino

Domino Active Member

I was going to suggest Scarlet when you said you liked Violet. How about another colour-related name? Indigo. Azure. Cerise. Amethyst. Cyan. Xanthene. Jade. Lavender. Fern. Hazel?

Or what about other flower-related names? Lily (also a bit Lillithish). Or Lillian. Jasmine. Zahra. Iris. Peony. Violante?

I don't see the problem with hearing some names from different people if it stirs your own creative juices. It's good to bounce ideas around, doesn't mean you're not using your own imagination too. You could take someone else's thoughts and put them together, make something unique of your own.

Let us know what you decide on in the end. Good luck.

10. joanna

joanna Active Member

One of the consequences of over analyzing the name issue is that now you're thinking the reader will over analyze it, too.

They won't.

That said, go with Lilith. :)

11. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

You should use this site: http://www.behindthename.com/
    I always use it when I need naming help. It is good to ask us too.

Some names I immediately think about when I hear your character's name:
    Daria
    Darcy/Darcey/Darcie (maybe too English sounding)
    Adara/Adhara (a star named that)
    Veronica
    Zara
    Dana
    Polina
    Lydia

12. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

It's entirely your choice, but I say go with Lilith ;)

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In the end, it IS your decision, and no one else's. You have a number of suggestions in this thread, but the final choice should not be based on a popular vote.

One comsideration no one here can help you with is how the name goes with other names in the story. On a couple of occasions, I have changed a character name because it was too similar to that of another character, potentially confusing the reader.

It's also a reason not to get too invested in naming early in the process. You might need to change it later anyway.

14. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Why no put yourself in the parents of your protagonists shoes? Who were they? What would THEY pick for their daughter's name? That's how I approach names. It really doesn't matter, but it does give another layer to the character development when you recognize the parents.

15. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

And while you're frittering away with choosing the right name, how much of the story are you writing?

16. Jamez

Jamez New Member

"Meike" is a really common name in the northern provinces of the Netherlands. It's derived from the Dutch word "meisje", which simply means girl.

17. jazzabel

Thanks so much guys, for all your tips and suggestions, I really appreciate it :)

@Cogito: you are right, and I do try to visualise and name all my main characters before I start writing. So far I am really content with a few, Sam (Villain), Monique (antagonist), Jacob (Monique's dad), Lucy (shapeshifter/antagonist), Willem (ally). I am missing the names for the love interest (a guy) and for the protagonist. But you are right, looking at it this way might be easier to decide :)

@BFGuru: that's a great suggestion! Well, her mum died in labour, dad ended up hating her for that. I suppose I can either go with the name they would have chosen for her before she was born, or some name dad gave her in anger. Like Brunhilda :D

@Batgoat:You hit the nail on the head. I am not writing a lot. I am planning, world building, reading books... I've been sick with asthma and stuff all of last year and it's been a struggle to concentrate and do a lot of work, but hopefully that'll get better now :)