1. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Need help on my WIP.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hawky94, Feb 17, 2011.

Hello everyone. I've got a work in progress that's quite well progressed (three chapters). But I've got myself stuck on the third chapter. My character has just undergone waterboarding and has just signed a non-disclosure agreement. He's being transported home from his place of detention.

Here's the situation: A rogue cell of the CIA is looking to acquire nuclear weapons. Which have recently been outlawed by a UN treaty signed by the US. The MC was on a mission in Afghanistan when he was captured by this rogue cell, who use Afghanistan as a base of operations. He overheard members talking of the acquisition of nuclear material through sources, knowing that the use and possession of nukes have been outlawed he threatened to disclose what he knew to the powers that be.

He was tortured until he signed a non-disclosure agreement, having signed the agreement, he is released. Also note that the cell's leader threatened to harm his girlfriend and (unborn and unknown child).

I know that he'll go straight to his CO. And tell him everything that went on. But I'm struggling with how to develop it from there.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, hawky.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Well, this is hard for me to help with accurately because I don't know about the technicalities of war and how the military works.

What type of personality does the CO have? How would the character feel about your MC's actions; both as a CO and as the character?

You could develop a backstory involving the unborn/unknown child if you're stuck on the main storyline.

3. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

That's a great idea! Thank you. Seen as the MC and his girlfriend had sex before he went away that'd fit. But how do I develop a backstory. Seen as I'm new to this whole novel writing thing you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It's okay. I apologize for saying backstory. I used the wrong term; should've said B-story, also known as a subplot.

Some books would switch over to the POV of the girlfriend, but since yours is in first-person, I wouldn't do that. Perhaps she could call him and tell him she's pregnant as he's on his way to go talk to the CO; this would create all sorts of new plot tension.

5. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

That's a great idea. I'll work on that. Thanks.