1. shannonnorwood

shannonnorwood New Member

Need help starting

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by shannonnorwood, Feb 7, 2013.

I used to write a lot in high school and college and was even admitted to a writing program at UCLA but I was too young to attend. I am at point in my life where I feel this huge urge to write, sometimes its all I want to do is write. I have huge goals about writing a book and really have this gut feeling about this but I sit down and get so stunted by my critical voice that I usually just end up writing about that very thing. My writing has now turned into me venting and wondering about how to push through this.

I would love any suggestions or methods that people have found useful in battling this annoying presence. HELP!

Thanks!

Shannon

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

You could start by warming up. Some people call this "morning pages" - pages written just to recover your feeling for language and find your voice for the day's work. Nobody has to see them, so you can use them to write about anything. Do your venting there.

John Steinbeck began each day of work on East of Eden by writing a letter to his friend and editor. That got rid of the bile and relaxed him enough to do good work.

3. shannonnorwood

shannonnorwood New Member

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'm worried I can do to much of that, its become this space Im constantly stuck in. The thoughts are always there that nothing I write will be good enough, interesting enough, poignant enough, so I am instantly shut down. Im trying to learn to kill that voice, or at least quiet it enough for me to do some good work.

4. Quille

Quille Senior Member

I couldn't write for years, apart from my Journal and even that didn't happen very frequently. A while ago, I was playing an online game and started writing a story based on the game and the friends I was playing with. I didn't show it to anyone, it was just a way of getting my creativity flowing again. It worked for me.

You say you have "huge goals about writing a book", I think this may be why your critical voice is hounding you. Don't start with the book, try something smaller and then you can build on your successes.

Minstrel's suggestion of morning pages is an excellent one. It's a great way of dumping 'stuff' before you start writing.

Good luck and have fun.