Tags:
  1. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

Character Name Ideas...Help!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AveryWhite, Jul 23, 2011.

For one of my stories i have been struggling with names. Please help give me some ideas!

Im looking for two female names:

One is aged 41 and a very bold and dominating character, but she isnt bad. Shes a kind of head of the family - leader. Her younger sister is called Aziza. Though they are not african im looking for either an unusual name to go with Aziza or an african style name.

The other female is 45 and a more bright and chatty character. I was thinking for her a name beggining with H, but im optional if theres something better.

and lastly there is a male character:

He is the lead romance character. But is rarely seen. He is like a shadow in the background, a stranger. I have been trying to find the right name for him for a long time now but apart from coming close nothing seems to just click. I have thought of names such as Darius and Christian but theyre not right.

Please...please help me with this. I need lots of sugestions.

I was looking for either an unusual name for him or one that is not often used. I want a really masculine name but nothing too masculine. Its hard to explain but a male name you can really identify but has an undercurrent of softness. for example: Gabriel. Has to be quite bold too.

I was also thinking of making him come from Europe aswell so wouldnt mind hearing some name sugestions in that catagory. He has an italian/hispanic look about him.

2. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

This is probably considered cheating, but when I need a new character name, I tend to poke around naming generators. SeventhSanctum and Nine.Frenchboys have some good ones. Or you can try googling baby name sites. Those tend to be riddled with annoying ads, though, so make sure your speakers are off :p

Also, I quite like the name "Gabriel".

3. shygirl93

shygirl93 New Member

I know how hard it is to find names. I tend to choose names that I like.
    I favor the names Juliana and Ivy for females.
    To me, Ivy is a strong name, though not very unusual like you want for your 41 year old.
    As suddenlyBANSHEES posted, baby name sites are helpful. They tend to have some unusual names. You can even try googling "female name meaning strong" if you want. I helped a friend when looking for names meaning the elements and that's how I went about searching for them and it helped.

4. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Yeah I agree with the baby names, and If you want an african name for a 40 year old women, go to google type in a list of african female names back in the 1960's and It should help very much! :)

5. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

thankyou very much everyone :)

unfortunatly iv already looked at baby names as i have done that many times before and still havnt come up successful :( i guess ill just have to keep searching.

Jayyy1014 - and i hadnt thought of researching africann names in that way thankyou :)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When I watch a movie, I watch the end credits. Often I pick up a number of interesting names that way. I save them for later use (obviously mixing and matching given names and surnames.)

7. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

ohh yeah!! thanks cogito. id actually forgotten i used to do that but good reminder thankyou :)

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Similarly, the masthead (Is that what I mean? The section with the staff names.) of a magazine often offers a bunch of interesting names that I never would have thought of.

9. art

art Contributor Contributor

Constanza for the first female.
    Hayley for the second.
    Fabian for the male.

10. ShatteredHopes

ShatteredHopes Member

I posted a really helpful tool here the other day, but I guess someone decided to delete my post for whatever reason (even though it's an extremely helpful tool). But I'll approach it in a different manner to try and share my expertise.

But if you Google a keyword as a "random name generator", one of my favorites pops up as one of the first choices, it's great because you can choose how obscure you want your name to be and the sex of whoever its for (or both). I also do the same for town names though, I use a "random town name generator". If you choose to do that though, the best thing is to mix and match, once you find a first name that suits your character, then it doesn't mean you have to accept the same last name to go with it. :)

11. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Joshua
    Matthew
    Nathaniel
    Raphael
    Ralph
    David
    Ranveer
    Stefan
    Jeremy
    Noah
    Ryan
    Heinrich
    Steve
    Sharaz

As for the African women -
    Mahwa (pronounced M-ow-wa)
    Afia
    Adeola (not sure about spelling - but it sounds like A-dee-o-la)

12. Liza

Liza Active Member

What about Aliyah for the one who is 41? Or Aaliyah, it's an african name.

For the man, Cassiel?

13. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

ooooooo thankyou everyone for the great name ideas!! so much choice :) and somee that are really unusual thanks

its like a bag of pic'a'mix...what should i choooseee hehe :D

14. mattyb

mattyb New Member

Zola - meaning love. Sounds good with Aziza too - Zola and Aziza

Heather - I know a very bright and chatty person called Heather and it begins with H!

Gianluca - Italian name, masculine but quite soft sounding

15. proserpine

proserpine New Member

I would name Aziza's sister Indira or India.

For the other female character, I suggest Sunniva, or Dahlia. I'm sorry, but nothing with an "H" jumps out at me.

I like Gabriel for your male character. Other names that came to mind are Raphael, Matteo, Marco, Donovan, or Julian.