1. FourCartridge

FourCartridge New Member

Need help with a fight scene

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by FourCartridge, Feb 19, 2012.

In the story I'm writing the main character fights a vicious cat with a pipe wrench. I think it's boring to say "I hit the cat with my wrench" over and over again with little change, so I'm going to have the character perform combos with the wrench to make it more interesting, like in fighting games and other things like that. You guys have any idea how to go about with this, all while writing in first person?

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

By 'cat', do you mean a common housecat with a bad temper or a big cat like a lion, panther, jaguar, etc? Just wanted to make sure.

For a big cat...I don't know. A guy with a pipe wrench against one of those? Yeah, good luck. I'd focus more on the guy trying to get to higher ground as the cat follows him. Maybe one blow, he brings it down vertically, and another horizontally? Again, I don't know, because I doubt he'd make it. Who is this guy? Why is he fighting the cat with a pipe wrench? What does his surroundings look like?

3. FourCartridge

FourCartridge New Member

Should of elaborated on that more. It's common housecat with a really bad temper. It was trying to steal something from him and when he tried to get it off it attacked him. He's using a pipe wrench because there simply isn't anything else that made for a weapon, and he was strapped for time. The surroundings are near the end of an empty city alley.

4. Link the Writer

Okay, yeah, the pipe wrench is going to kill the cat. In two blows at most. Doing it over and over again is just overkill.

Why can't he just use his bare hands?

Now, I've never been around a pissed off cat, but wouldn't they simply claw/bite once before retreating to behind a bin, let's say in your setting, to hiss loudly? If he then proceeded to take the pipe wrench to start beating it, he's in the wrong.

It may be in his character to do this, I don't know. I just know that if he decides to murder the cat with the pipe wrench, I should expect some ramafications from this. Guilt or something.

5. FourCartridge

FourCartridge New Member

Yeah, guess your right. About his character, the context is that he had to travel a dangerous city alley alone, and was scared that something might happen to him. The whole pipe wrench fight is just a knee jerk reaction, and it's going to form a big mental problem for him.

6. Lily J.

Lily J. Member

Perhaps you can try to have the character to prevent the cat from taking it by scaring him off first. Have the character clap his hands or yell, as the cat will be using his claws against the character you might want to keep your distance. In the final attempt to get it (whatever the cat was trying to take) back, the character looks around for anything nearby that might scare the cat off, that's when he sees the pipe wrench and sways it to the cat to chase him away. So instead of it being his first reaction (which would indeed be a bit cruel) it's just a last reserve to get back what is rightfully his.

7. Link the Writer

Exactly. Maybe the wrench (it being his last resort) is his way of making himself look big and threatening to the cat. He swings it around and accidentally hits the cat, killing it.

This way, we can at least understand that he wasn't TRYING to kill the cat the moment he layed eyes on the feline.

8. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I don't understand what would make someone do this. I was attacked by a large dog early Saturday morning on my way back from a bar. The owner wasn't there straightaway (the dog had raced off ahead by himself) but even though it was (a) dark and (b) frightening I had no urge to hit the dog in return. I pushed him away, yes, but even when he jumped up a second time I didn't try to hurt him.

As for cats specifically: I've kept cats for two decades and this sounds like unrealistic behaviour. One of my cats died last year -- a few days after his 17th birthday -- and in his final months he had a terrible temper (he was senile and suffering from cancer) but even he never hurt anyone too badly. He would occasionally attack for no reason and he wouldn't give-up anything without a fight but his attempts were never enough to seriously wound anyone or to prompt that person to retaliate in a way that would hurt him - even so, he wouldn't attack for more than a few seconds at a time. This is often true with fights between cats too - they often take a step back and look at the situation before swiping again. Also, cats are very alert: they would likely run faster than you could hit them if they were even the slightest bit suspicious that you would hit them. Shouting loudly is often enough to frighten them off, too.

9. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Agree with Yoshiko, a common house cat wouldn't go for a full on fight unless it was absolutely trapped, it'd run off.

Also, I also find that if a character hurts an animal in a novel (assuming the animal isn't evil) then readers tend to dislike the character. Unless that's the effect you want to create, think twice about including it. Having a human using a wrench against a cat seems a bit of a power imbalance to me. I've been attacked my cats many times. They can scratch and bite a bit, but i don't think they'd cause serious damage unless you were very unlucky (like with the eyes or something).

10. Link the Writer

Exactly. Unless they got you in the eyes (and you'd have be in a really odd position, or holding them close to your face, as they're only going to go for the arms and legs), the worse you'd get from a cat is a really big, bloody scratch. If I were attacked by a cat, I wouldn't need what amounts to a club to drive them off. Loud noises and loud clapping (with a bit of pushing off) are more than enough to get them to know you're not to be messed with, and they'll scamper off.

Now, your character may have a mental disorder, but get ready to have a bunch of readers hate him when he decides to take a pipe wrench to that cat.