1. Bertthewriter

Bertthewriter New Member

need help with front matter in ebook im writing

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Bertthewriter, Feb 19, 2017.

hello im having trouble with the front matter for example with preface,introduction etc.I

I need to know the difference as i dont want to confuse the 2 or put something in there that should not be there.

im confused with front matter like, why i wrote the book- should this go in preface or intro?

should the story behind the book also go into preface

if the preface is the story behind the book,the inspiration and what motivated me to write the book and why i wrote the book

then what should i put in the introduction?
    and what about what you will get out of this book,or how this book will benefit you? I understand that i dont need to use all of them just would like to know where
    they should be.

I have seen people say that the introduction is not the description of the book it should be how the book is wrote is this true
    if so what are some examples of how this book is laid out and written, I am writing a non fiction how to book by the way.

i also see a lot of people use chapter one for the introduction I dont want to do that would rather keep all the front matter before chapter one

these are what have me confused with right now and is holding me back from finishing my front matter

i actually just made a mind map to propel me with finishing the other part of my book as i have a lot of useful stuff to say in my book but the front matter i need some help with.

thanks
    Bert

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Welcome! Be sure to introduce yourself in the New Members forum.

You might ask one of the mods to move this to Publishing--- just a suggestion.

That said, you've said you're writing nonfiction. Prefaces, introductions, and so on are appropriate there, where they wouldn't be in fiction. (That is, not until you're as famous, say, as Jane Austen or Robert Heinlein.)

Check out this post by Joel Friedlander, for a cogent listing of the order of front matter and what each bit should contain.

Or look at nonfiction books you admire. What do the authors do there?

If you're going to shop your book to a traditional publisher, I imagine they'll have their own rules about it.

3. Bertthewriter

Bertthewriter New Member

thanks i will look at your post to see about the listings and so i know what to include.