1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Online Writing Storage?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by JJ_Maxx, Oct 7, 2013.

Is there a nice, simple place to store my writing as well as my notes and unfinished stuff? I am looking for something that will allow me to sort my writing, as well as edit.

I just want to be able to access my stuff from work, home, school or on my phone.

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Try Dropbox
    You can install it on PC, Mac or Linux, iOS or Android, and it will sync any file you put into it with the folder on any other device. You start out with 2 gigs of space on their cloud (though you can expand to 6 with brownie points), and if you're writing anything that will fill it up you are the Picasso of writers, and I look forward to reading your work in four dimensions.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Dropbox has always been my go-to for online storage. Lots of apps sync with it readily (there usually being some toggle already made for it).

Answer a few of the little questionnaires they give and you can get about 3.5 gigs free. Doesn't sound like much, but .docs are super small files in the grand scheme.

4. idle

idle Active Member

I'm using Google Docs/Drive for that. You can either upload files in whatever format you prefer (use it simply as a storage) or convert them/start new files in their format and edit them within your browser from wherever you want (you can later download them in various formats too). I do the latter, mostly - the editor is simple but usable, saves automatically and keeps editing history. The web access isn't much usable from phones, but they have apps for smartphones.

5. Jack Asher

I've found google docs to be frustratingly obtuse, due in no small part to the fact that my browser, bookmark toolbar, and other things take up space that I could be using for more text. Using google docs is like editing through a telescope.

6. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I'm for Dropbox as well.
    Very useful and it's literally out of mind and out of sight.

I can see why someone would use google docs/drive as well but for some reason I don't feel like it's the best place.
    As far as I recall, editing issues and simple lack of tools made it a bother.
    However, it's excellent for writing stories and have others watch as you do it. Great for community building.

Also, I'd recommend getting a geekstick and using that to store your works. Just in case your PC crashes and for some odd reason you can't access any online repository.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Bah, well unfortunately my work filters any website dedicated to personal backup so SkyDrive, GoogleDocs and DropBox are out. Looks I may just have to use Gmail and write things as e-mails.

8. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I did the same thing at work when I could.
    Wrote in Microsoft Word and then just added it as an attachment and e-mailed it to myself.

I suppose flash drives might not be allowed either at work.

9. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

In all honesty, I don't trust online storage entirely. You just never know if it can be lost at some point. Or, even worse, if someone aside from yourself can ever access it.

10. Dawnless Sky

Dawnless Sky New Member

You could try a private wiki service.

I know some wiki websites allow you to setup private wikis (or wikis where only a few select users can view and edit it)

I like working with wikis :) Each time you save a page, it saves as a new version so you never lose your work.
    I create different pages for the chapters and create pages for writing notes and brainstorming sessions.

It's a neat way of keep everything together and it's not really hard to learn how to use them.

11. Jack Asher

Well with dropbox the file are backed up with tangible files in the folder on your machine. So it's not like it's all coming in magically. And as far as security goes, it's pretty much as secure as any folder on your machine.

12. Gilborn

Gilborn Member

This is a great idea. I was going to suggest blogger, or some other blogging site. You can always make it private and the search feature/tag feature makes finding your works very easy. I use blogger when I'm on the road or away from my computer for extended periods of time.