1. Axton Marek

Axton Marek New Member

What do you think of this plot summary, would you read the book?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Axton Marek, Jul 26, 2016.

It's the 2100's and the world is in climatic chaos. Wild storms brew and much of the world is now uninhabitable. With World War 3 or the "Famine Wars" now officially over, many are just trying to stay alive. Respite Camps are created by he new United Countries of Earth, a coalition of the now ravaged countries, as a place to come if you have no where else to call home. Axton's parents are some of those citizens just trying to survive. Axton has always been rebellious, to the point that it gets him in trouble quite frequently. When he witnesses a horrific act by an innocent girl he must take the rap for it and it propels him into a whirlwind of events that may just cause him to become a major part of the Free Masons, who have been ousted as rebels by the newly formed government. As our hero discovers the world he's been locked away from he also discovers the secrecy and deceit of the men in power led by an enigma who rules all. Through loss and self discovery Axton finds the strength, in friendship with many of the people who will shape humanity for years to come, to lead the rebellion against this unknown entity. Soon however, players on both side of the impending war start to discover their petty fighting pales in comparison to what their ultimate destinies are. They must travel to a different land altogether, a land of the Gods, to discover they are candidates to become the next Gods of certain things energy, time, life. That their powers and, in some cases curses, were gifts from a old dead generation of Gods who chose them specifically to fight it out to see who becomes the next generation of the Gods. In the end will the Gods continue on for generations or has the divinization of the human race made them powerful enough to end the Gods' cruel rein of terror?

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

IMO the premise sounds like it could be a good read, but it all depends on the execution of it. The most important part is not that the plot sounds interesting, but how you actually write it.

I've read and loved many stories that had sounded 'boring' when I read the plot summaries, but had amazing and intriguing execution. And vice versa (promising plots, with an execution that didn't appeal to me).

What I'm trying to say is that a given plot can be written in many ways, each for a different audience. So it's nigh impossible to say that I would read a book/story solely based on a premise/summary.

Axton Marek and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

The shift from what seems to be a sci-fi novel to something more like fantasy is definitely unusual, and certainly interesting, but dystopian fiction isn't really my cup of tea. Obviously, as Komposten said, execution is what's important in a book, but the back cover is what makes you pick up the book.

Axton Marek likes this.
  4. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

It was interesting because it was a dystopian world but it was different then other books with the same subject. As I read on I started to grow more interested in it especially " Soon, however, players on both sides of the impending war start to discover their petty fighting pales in comparison to what their ultimate destinies are." that got my attention. I really liked that there was something more to the plot then rebels fighting a corrupted government.
    I agree with the other replies about how the actual story is executed. I would definitely pick up the book. I would be interested in how the world worked and the characters as well as the bigger picture :)

5. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

It sounds interesting however one thing I would change is " When he witnesses a horrific act by an innocent girl he must take the rap for it." I always get turned off when people in stories do "heroic" acts that serve no real purpose to themselves or the other person especially if that person is a stranger. Perhaps it would be better if he were saving her life but not taking blame for terrible act that he didn't do. This also makes the girl no longer innocent.

Also it sounds like you have two books with two different genres. Maybe simplify the story a bit or make it into two books vs. one. It sounds like it would be very long.

Do you have an idea of word count you are aiming for?

tonguetied likes this.
  6. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

That plot summary needs some serious editing. It just comes off as hard to read, personal opinion, to the point I started skimming towards the end.

I first thought it was a sci-fi dystopian novel, but then it turned into a fantasy novel. You begin with "Famine Wars" and respite camps then jump to a different world and go to Gods. Unless your plot progression is properly done, it could get confusing very quickly.

My opinion? You need to split it up into a series. The first book should focus on the dystopian planet and the struggles your m.c. overcomes due to this, while ending with introducing the Gods (or dimension, planet, reality, w/e) as the premise of your 2nd book. With how your premise currently is it would be easy to forgo development on certain areas and give off a rushed feel.

I reread this these times before stating this. I personally would not read the book based off this exclusively. The lack of attention to editing, the rushed feel it gives off, the introduction of unnecessary details, and a few more issues that I won't get into. To be fair, I have too many books to read as is. If I see an issue from the get-go it doesn't get downloaded into my limited library space.

7. Axton Marek

Axton Marek New Member

I should have stated, when I wrote this, that this is an octology. eight books so this is a very shortened synopsis. Also I may have phrased the innocent girl thing wrong. What really happens is this young girl is about to be raped by a guard of Axton's camp but he stops it. Well the guard ends up beating the shit out of him and the girl manages to get his gun away from him and shoots the guard. Axton takes the blame for it when more guards come running, which is what gets him arrested, which is what leads him to Zella, who leads him to the rebellion. I do not have aword count I am aiming for, I don't much believe in word counts, I just write however much the story needs.

8. Axton Marek

Axton Marek New Member

Thank you I am glad you think it sounds interesting. Yes it's a very complicated interweaving story. I also never stated in the original post that the story will be told from 11 main characters perspectives through 5 story lines. I will be looking for beta readers soon as I just started my first draft.

SoulGalaxyWolf likes this.
  9. Axton Marek

Axton Marek New Member

I feel like a dumb dumb lol I never said in the original post that this is an octology, eight books long. I don't know why I made it seem like it was one book, maybe I was tired that day? lol But I totally see what you are saying this was a very rushed and not thought out description of the series, but don't worry I'll convince you to read it one day ;)

10. Axton Marek

Axton Marek New Member

I totally agree about execution, when I finish my first draft I'll be looking for beta readers then you'll have to read it ;)

Komposten likes this.