1. summerlovin

summerlovin New Member

Need help with some software idea's

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by summerlovin, Aug 2, 2016.

Hello, a friend of mine is self taught in the English language. She wants to write a book, but being self taught, she has trouble with the overall punctuation, paragraph, commas etc . Can anyone recommend a software program that will auto correct everything?

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Grammarly will point out a majority of issues. But it won't auto-correct them.

3. summerlovin

summerlovin New Member

Thank you for your reply. I think I might look at some software forums to see if anyone there has any idea's. I appreciate your answer.

4. Margaery

Margaery New Member

Hello @summerloving!
    I'd like to advise you not to rely only on the computer software, because it won't catch all mistakes. Usually writer check possible corrections, and if they are not ruining his writing style, approves them and make changes to the text. Hint: many writers hate auto-correction, for example, in MS Word.

However, sometimes online writing tools and apps could save your writing :) Your friend could try Writefull - it will help her to write with having in mind word order in the sentence and proper context. Another great tool is Unplag. It's a perfect writing tool if you want to write without accidental plagiarism. I recently discovered their free version, and now I use it when I have some troubles with exploring the original sources of quotes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Yeah, gotta agree with Margaery. Computers aren't the best when it comes to correcting Engilsh. Some auto-correct when it isn't nessa celery. Some don't spot problems at all. And with most software you need a good grasp of English to ensure you are accepting the write changes.

On a more serious point, I can suggest using Prowriting Aid as long as you don't accept everything it advises you to change. And don't become disheartened when it tells you a sentence is too long. That's what style is all about: style over substunts.

(Edit: and some of those errors above weren't intentional either. Damned kids turned off the 'spell while you type function' - grrrrr).

Iain Aschendale likes this.