1. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Need help....

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JGC137, Dec 14, 2009.

Ok, you are a powerful vampire. You want to see a human girl's worth. How do u test her usefulness for her to stay alive? :confused:

2. rikithasta

rikithasta New Member

can you clarify the last sentence? The vampire is trying to see if she's capable of staying alive?

3. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Basically, is she cant prove that theres a reason for her to stay alive, she'll be killed. They want to test her, physically, mentally, ect...

4. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

First, JGC - i thoroughly enjoy your icon.

Second- It's really up to you, it's hard giving ideas without knowing the rest of the plot. Is it just a romance? Is the girl special? Is the vampire special? Why does the vampire want her alive? How did they meet? Does she know he's a vampire? Why hasn't she just run away screaming? All those would contribute to the answer you're looking for.

5. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Thanky! I love my icon too lol

It’s a thriller/fantasy/romance. There is a Kingdom of Vampires, and the girl and her brother were taken by 'recruiters', to be sired, feed on or enslaved. The Vampire that wants to keep the girl alive gives this chance to all that are brought to him. The girl knows he and the others are 'monsters' but the knowledge of Vampires is slim to none in this story. She has no way of escape.

Does that help any? :confused:

6. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

It does, it really depends on where your story is going there (more questions) , why is she important to the book? is she the main character? what will be her relation to the vampires throughout the book? what kind of person is she? and what will happen to her brother, you didnt mention him so i assume he gets killed off

7. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

She is the main character yes. She is curious about the vampire. He’s her only chance at surviving. The relationship between them is tense with mixed emotions. She's sweet and loving with an ability to go through life with calm and a healing presence. Her brother was sired by another Vampire that is of slight hire rank then the main vampire. The girl doesn’t know this because they were separated when taken.

8. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Soo she's sweet, and is able to be calm and has a healing presence..

haha sorry im trying to give you questions so you can come up with ideas yourself (i often find that ideas i discover are always easier for me to use verses ones others came up with for me)

So, here is the original question you asked: Why would a girl, who knows nothing about vampires, whose brother is sired by a higher rank vampire who has a calm and healing presence and is sweet deserve to live?

Why do you think she should be allowed to live? If you were asked this question by me, reverse the rolls

9. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

So what would this vampire coven value in it's recruits?

Some possibilities:
    intelligence
    ability to think outside the box/problem solving
    loyalty
    any special gifts/powers/abilities that might be useful to them

10. rikithasta

rikithasta New Member

The main idea that sticks out is some sort of hunt/ game. The outcome decides the fate. The details of which depend heavily upon the type of story you want to write and the situations within the novel.

11. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

It would be cool if, for once, a vampire story did not have a super powerful male character [vampire] who holds power and the threat of death over the head of a much weaker [human] female. Or if he didn't seduce her into falling in love with him.

There was "Let the right one in" but that is the only one I can think of...

I would test her by making her feel abandoned (toss her into the wilderness) while I observe her ability to fend for herself and survive.

12. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I think for dramatic effect, to make her indispensable to the vampire, she would need to display a trait that is unique to humans and not vampires.

Does she have a sense or skill that could be useful to him as a vampire? Can she use it as a bargaining tool to stay alive?

13. jlauren

jlauren New Member

I totally agree with this. When I read your question I instantly thought, "Why not have the female character more powerful than the vampires?" Maybe she possess a special trait that they've never seen before which makes her a little more powerful than them. Maybe they fear her or maybe they think they can use her to their advantage? Maybe she doesn't know her power over them and they want to keep her around??

I think the 'poor helpless female human' has been done and overdone. Make her unique!

14. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Go about this Frank Miller's Batman style, (referring to how bruce wayne proves Jason Todd's worth) You lock her in a cave with all sorts of threats and if she comes out alive after three weeks of eating rats and having to rely on her own wits and strength, then sure she's worthwhile.

I say this because I would be much more interested in a vampire having interest in a mortal because of their mortal actions. A sort of "Be all that you can be" complex.

15. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

What about the old reliable quest-type trial. Even though its been done and done over, if its not the main focus of your story it may work for you.

16. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Have you read Sunshine by Robin McKinley? If not, you must go and do it now! :D The female is strong and has powers that help save the vampire.

17. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Vampires are immortal, but that doesn't mean they can't feel pain...

Okay, that sounded like the blurb to a really bad vamp-romance, but nonetheless none of the 'classical' nosterafu tales (Dracula, etc.) make vampires immune to pain. And if a vampire feels pain just like anyone else, then they're just as vulnerable to both a sufficiently painful conventional attack and any form of torture you can imagine. Against a particularly determined vampire, of course, none of the physical, non-mystical stuff will work nor will the torturer be able to kill them to stop them eventually escaping.

This might be going off on a tangent, but if you want something particularly gruesome you can always subject the human girl to some kind of torture without actually killing her. Mind you, I doubt that she'd be particularly willing after the thing's performed that sort of lunacy, but I suppose if the vampire is keeping her as some kind of servant it might work.

I feel it may not send a good message though.

18. writewizard

writewizard New Member

This defines your whole story. If it's not the main plot of your story, it still defines your whole character outline by shaping the vampire and the human girl.

Here, for an example, might be an expert:

"I am a powerful vampire," the vampire says, and I do indeed see him in the dark. I can clearly see the markings of human blood on the wall and believe at once he is powerful. I swallow hard and take a step backwords, worried. "Make me see why I should keep you alive, woman. Give me a chance to believe your worth."

I see the vampire. I can read weaknesses. My skill is so well-intuned that I see that his weakness is love. At that, I smile. "Because," I say, "Your weakness is love, and that is my strength..."

Okay, so it's cheasy, ad I know it's not what you're going to use, but you could do something to that affect. Let the characters scream out the story themselves. They'll want to tell their tale...