1. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

Need Name for Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ShiroUsagi, Mar 13, 2015.

I revisited an old story that I started writing in Middle School and all my characters have names except my main character. The story may sound stupid or cliche, and may have already been done for all I know, but it would mean a lot to me to at least finish it.

The story is centered around a group of wolf packs, similar to the Warrior cat book series that was popular around the same time I was in Middle School. But there are differences in my story, believe me. I didn't copy anything from the Warrior books.

Every year at the beginning of Spring, the wolf packs would gather in a specific place and birth their young. Once all the pups were born, they would be inspected by the Elder wolves, at least one from each pack, and if they met the Elder's standards they would be accepted into their corresponding packs. It's rare when a pup does not make it through the inspection. In this case, however, a pup has been born with a deformed foot, that is twisted and mangled. The Elders have no choice but to reject him. The pup is kept with his mother until he is weened from his mother's milk, and then he must be abandoned in the forest to fend for himself. But when the time comes for the mother to release him, she refuses. In doing so infuriates the pup's father and he kills the mother and tosses the pup over the side of a cliff...

But the pup survives by clinging to a ledge not too far below. He is thought dead by the father and left there, until another wolf arrives and takes him in.

The entirety of the story follows the pup as he grows and later follows his offspring. I can't tell everything here, but I really need a name for the pup. I shall describe him below.

The pup is a male. His front left paw is twisted and deformed, kind of turned inward preventing him from running very well. His fur is black but his mangled paw has a small tint of grayish blue to it. This a fantasy story so a lot of my wolves have odd colors. His eyes are blue and he is a sweet heart. Because of his handicap, he is often teased and ridiculed for being "different."

The way I named the other pups and wolves are by blending elements from nature together. But for some reason when I think of the main pup, I draw a blank. Also, some of the pups and wolves are named after events that happened to them when they were puppies. For example, Icepatch was given her name after almost drowning when she fell through the ice of a pond.

Examples of names from other wolves: Snowdrift, Icepatch, Marievale, Deadleaf, Brightstar, Blueblind

Pups can also be named after their parents in some ways. The main pup's parents are Marievale and Demon.

I appreciate any help that you guys can offer. This project means a lot to me and I'd love to finish it. Thanks guys!

2. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

If your other pups are named after events that happened to them when they were young, your main character was thrown off a cliff as a pup, maybe start there?

3. Frankovitch

Frankovitch Member

How about Clifford? But seriously, what about something like Grayfoot or Shadow (I know, very obvious, but I think they'd work)

Shadowfax likes this.
  4. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Member

Canis (Latin for wolf)? Steel?

5. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

If he knew his mothers name perhaps he could take one part of her name as a tribute?

6. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I'm not getting a firm name but I'm thinking you have something going with the syllable "Vale" from the mother's name and then maybe something referencing either his disability or his loner status

LoneVale
    ValePaw
    ValeStride

Not a huge fan of any of those but I think it's a good direction.

7. LOliver

LOliver New Member

It would depend on how you are having them named. At the choosing? In which case he wouldn't have one and would take his own name later? Would he be taken in by an alien group? Maybe they name themselves differently? You could make his name very different to any of the other so exaggerate his separation from them (Or does he quickly re-join them?) The names you have given the others a multi-syllable. Perhaps his name would just be one syllable. A short, simply name like...Ward. If he is under the protection of another, older wolf. Maybe they just call him Ward, so they don't get too attached, knowing he will leave one day? Like a 'You are my ward so that will be your name.' You could always have him change his name at a later date due to some achievement. Like a title

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

9. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

I was thinking that too, but both Marie and Vale sound like girl names.

10. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

The pups are usually named once they're able to walk around and can experience their own little mishaps. That's how most are named, but some are named after their appearance. I had the idea of that since his Mama wanted to keep him that she named him something symbolic? Still unsure what exactly. The wolf that takes him in is an Alpha from another pack that's well known to the other packs in the area. I like the name Ward, but the wolf that raises him basically sees him as a son more than a burden or someone who will leave later on. He pretty much grooms him to take over for him once he's gone. I was thinking Bramble, maybe? I ran it by a friend and he said it was cool and different since it was one name when most of the other wolves have two names. And the bramble bush comes in during the cliff fall scene. But I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it yet. Love your ideas, by the way.

11. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Hopalong?

kfmiller likes this.
  12. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

Thanks for the Generator. That will definitely come in handy. I also appreciate your Lord of the Flies reference in your Location slot. Nice! : )

13. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

Funny. That was nick name in high school cause I was constantly on crutches. Kinda too familiar with it, but thanks. : )

14. Chinspinner

Oops, didn't mean to dredge up memories.

15. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

Nah, you're cool. It's more funny memories than anything. I did have a friend try to push my wheelchair down the stairs though. Not such a good memory. lol

16. Chinspinner

Who needs enemies?

17. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

I know right. Best Friend Award quality right there, for sure.

GalwayGirl and Chinspinner like this.
  18. LOliver

LOliver New Member

Thinking about stories about wolves reminded me of two excellent wolf stories i read a few years ago. 'Sight' and 'Fell' by David Clement-Davies. Really good reads, I'd really recommend them if you like this kind of thing

19. ShiroUsagi

ShiroUsagi New Member

That author sounds familiar. I'll definitely look into those books. Thanks! : )

20. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Hobble? Totter? Knotfoot?