1. Meta

Meta New Member

Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Classics

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Meta, May 25, 2008.

Me again. I'm hopped-up on too muchcaffeine and have the worst case of writer's block I ever had. So to get my mind off of my writing failures, I'm making lists of things to read (and things I've read) and need all of your help. I've read so much garbage in my life that I need some help sorting out what's actually worth reading.

So what are the classic, or just the best, works/authors in the above genres? And I'm not just looking for those things that overtly fall into those categories. Any books that have some important element that is impossible or happens in another world, or in the future, will do (for example, I would consider "A Christmas Carol" to be part of the list, since it includes ghosts, even though they may just be a part of a dream).

I'm doing all three genres at once since there's so much overlap. I would like to keep it to just those who are both skilled writer's and storytellers, but since Tolkien is bound to be on the list I guess they can't all be decent at writing (*zing*).

Horror

Poe
    Stoker
    Shelly
    H.P. Lovecraft

Science Fiction

Orwell
    Bradbury
    Isaac Asimov
    Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow)
    Iain M. Banks

Fantasy

Tolkien
    George R. R. Martin (A Song of Fire and Ice)

Uncategorizable (I made up that word)

Umberto Eco
    Gaiman

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Science Fiction: The Ender books. Officially they start with Ender's Game, but I actually started with Ender's Shadow, which is the same book but told from a different person's POV. Personally, I like Ender's Shadow much more.

Fantasy: A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Truly epic. And Harry Potter if you haven't already read it.

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Pickman's Model by H.P. Lovecraft.

4. Meta

Meta New Member

Been gone for a while, but I'd like to keep this going. I'm traveling the world and have too much time to read, so I'm making these list to figure out exactly what to read. I'll bring in all the contemporary authors from my other thread in a bit.

thanks

5. Shaz

Shaz New Member

Horror:

Stephen King! (not keen on all his work but The Stand is amazing)
    Anne Rice
    Lovecraft

Fantasy:

Guy Gavriel Kay - I love all his novels but Tigana is my favourite. The Lions of Al-Rassan is excellent too
    Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm - Assassin/Liveship Traders trilogies
    Robert Jordan
    Tolkien
    George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire's excellent, but so is his other work - A Song For Lya and Fevre Dream especially)

Sci-Fi:

Frank Herbert (Dune)
    Arthur C Clarke
    Orson Scott Card
    Larry Niven
    Edgar Pangborn

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

HG Wells for sci-fi. Possibly the best sci-fi author. Read The Time Machine if you get the chance.

7. CommonGoods

CommonGoods New Member

Horror
    Poe
    Tamara Siler Jones (I know some people don't like her wprks, but give it a chance, honestly)
    Stephen King

Science Fiction
    Orwell
    Isaac Asimov
    Philip K. Dick

Fantasy
    Tolkien
    Feist
    Tamara Siler Jones (You know you want to...)

PS: I'm not sure if I can add Jesus's desciples to the fantasy list... but the Bible is epic!

8. apathykills

apathykills New Member

I hope you don’t mind but I find it hard to recommend authors, so I'll recommend books by authors instead

Fantasy

the discworld series by terry prachet
    i absolutely love it, funny clever and just a great read. Most of the books stand for themselves but I think it's better to read them in the order they were released, it should keep you occupied for a while as there are over 30 books published

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

This one gets in because it's the series that made me like reading. I read this when I was very young and just fell in love. I can't help but recommend it.

a song of ice and fire by George RR Martin

I know it's been recommended before but this is one of those books that just can't be recommended enough, Simply amazing story and characters. I read the first book in two days, bought the two other books the next day and finished both In a read that would have been continues if It wasn't for an event that made me drop the book and take some personal time for grief. :(

Sci-Fi:

The uplift series by David Brin

I'd skip sundiver if I were you, it was a pretty bad book in my opinion, but all the rest are nice, it combines war, environmental ethics, romance, and some very cool space and ground battles in to one neat package.

Hope this helps.

9. Mariami

Mariami New Member

Wow
    You all categorized Poe's writing as Horror...How come?
    I could never see it as such...more like detective.

Sorry for off-topic post.

10. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

Horror: Dante Alleghieri

Science Fiction: Jules Verne

Fantasy: Lewis Carol