1. mobilesndfx

mobilesndfx New Member

Need some Advice

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by mobilesndfx, Nov 5, 2011.

As a kid, I read a lot and always wanted to write a book. I was always very good in creative writing classes, I have a good imagination and have always had good ideas, at least I think, on book ideas. Well, Im 42 now, been out of school for a long time and have decided to set down and see what I can come up with for a book. I have concerns that since its been 25+ years since Ive written anything fiction, what I have in my head visually may not come out right on paper. Im debating on taking a creative writing class to refresh myself, but dont know if thats the way to go or should I just dive right in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated at getting me started on a book.

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Since you seem eager to get started again ( and I understand that :) ) why not taking that creative writing class AND start writing the story you have in mind? I stopped writing for several years too, ( maybe 15) before taking it up again last summer, and the first attempts were really not that great, but they did serve their purpose because they show the progress and growth as a writer, and that is pretty encouraging when you look back at it. Plus everything you write will be useful to make you a more confident writer, and even though you would decide to take the class and save the idea for later I think the class actually involves a lot of writing... :rolleyes: so your story idea would be a way of getting that necessary writing exercise.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I say dive right in. Here on this site there is a weekly short story competition if you would like to get your feet wet (as far as I know it is only for bragging rights if you win). It would essentially be the same as getting a writing prompt in a creative writing class. While you practice with those you can come up with your magnum opus idea. Also, after you critique a few other peoples work you will then be able to post your own for critique. Which in the end will also work out almost just like a creative writing class in terms of workshop-ing your stuff with other people.

So basically, what I am trying to say is, if you jump head first into this site and go full steam ahead you will get just as much out of it as you would paying for a class. But this forum will be without any stress over assignments or money involved.

4. Keven

Keven Member

mobilesndfx,

It may be cliche, but I also suggest reading simply because it can get those creative juices flowing.

v/Respectfully,
    Keven

5. JMTweedie

JMTweedie Senior Member

I agree with Keven,

Read, read, read and just write, write, write.

I came to writing my novel quite late (38) and after sitting on my novel idea for 4 years I finally decided to write it.
    Wish I'd started years ago.

I had no previous writing experience but have a lot of imagination. I also read A LOT. Not just my own genre (scifi) but a few others too.

The number one rule has to be: Never doubt yourself, you are a good writer.

Rule number two: Don't censor yourself - don't hold anything back.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you've been a good and constant reader of good fiction all these years, then by all means, dive right in!

on the other hand, if you've not had time to do much reading, or haven't been reading much [or at all] of the genre and quality of writing you want to turn out, i'd advise you to put off writing till you've caught up with today's best writers' work, so what you write will conform to the current markets' demands... that doesn't mean you can't just write what moves you, but if you want to sell it, you do have to consider who's going to buy it...

and, once you start writing, if you find that your writing skills have suffered from the long hiatus, and/or that you can't get what you 'see' in your mind's eye into words that work on paper, then you might want to consider taking a creative writing course...

i didn't write my first serious work [a novel] till i was in my early 40s, found i could still turn a phrase and my skills were still up to par and beyond, to the point where i was able to charge [and get] obscenely high fees as a writing consultant, while i turned out my own work... so a late start doesn't have to be an obstacle... unless you make it one!

hope this helps some...

love and hugs, maia