1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Recent Inspirations

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Neoaptt, Feb 19, 2010.

Yo! I'm just here to ask all yall what you do to get inspirations.

I'm not talking about how you would go about doing it. But the actual part where you found out how to write your most recent work.

For example:

My latest work, "Day of a Nazi Officer" (500 word) i got the idea when i sat down.

I was looking through the contest thing and found out this week's competition. I thought i wouldn't enter but i would try and write something anyways.

When i sat down to start typing. I just kept typing. I didn't know what i was saying but i just kept on going.

After I finished it I had to reread what i wrote and change some things. Then i decided that it would be a comical writing.

I looked and found out that i had to have at least 500 words. So i added an extra paragraph.

I didn't really know how to end it. It looked like a journal entry of a Nazi Officer so i just put on.

-end of journal

I don't know how you guys do your thing but this is how I did my latest work.

Anyways, good luck to yall!

2. Wavanova

Wavanova Member

I generally get it from reading, listening to music/reading song lyrics, or video games. I might read something in one of those things that either has a neat idea behind it, or is written in an inspiring way. Sometimes all it takes is one line in a poem, novel, or song to set me off and I can write volumes on that one little thing. Generally, things that are written in a powerful and epic manner that commands attention and full understanding inspire me.

3. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Aight! Thats something i have done as well.

Do you mind elaberating on what you were doing when you decided to make your recent writing?

4. Wavanova

Wavanova Member

Recently, my writing has been inspired by a few albums I've been listening to a lot or by some of the books I've been reading, as I said. I'll just listen to the album for a while and then pause it to write based on the music and lyrics I've been hearing, or even write it while I'm still listening. Kind of the same with reading. I'll read something, then think it through for a while and if I'm inspired, I'll start writing.

I have mild synesthesia in a few different ways, so listening to music really makes me think of a lot, even beyond what the music is actually about :)

5. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Well that is cool! I'm sorry for making you repeat yourself. I just thought you might have been sitting on a bus one day then lissen to the chimes outside and say. "Hey, thats a good story"

But i guess that some stories are different then others. So you need constant input. I get it!

6. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

Originally I really never thought of becoming a writer.

My main inspiration was anything with a traumatic, or simply amazing story that wrenched my heart sideways. I found this mainly in video games. Some games simply just steal your attention when it comes to a good story. The fact that your playing the game makes you feel like your a part of it.

Funny thing is, back when I was a kid, I would NEVER read the dialogue of most games. I'd always question to myself why I'm fighting a certain enemy, who was a friend earlier. Now that I developed my share of common sense, replaying those games I can't help but feel ashamed of myself for missing out for some amazing things all these years.

And with today's graphics, it can be difficult from separating fiction and reality. I'm still waiting for a game this generation that will simply amaze me.

Oh, you likely wouldn't care, but the one game that did the final push for my dream of becoming a published writer was Phantom Brave. I cried at the end. Seriously. No shame in saying that.

7. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

I guess I don't really do anything in particular. Ideas come at all times from many different things. Writing is an art. I let everything inspire me.

Best, Whiskey

8. Miel_Abeille

Miel_Abeille New Member

I can relate to Whiskey, as I have been inspired by the most random, flippant sources. For example, I just wrote a blog post that was inspired by a book blogger's post asking if anyone reading her blog was a closet book review blogger.

Also, one day walking through Herald Square, desperately trying to fight through the pedestrian traffic oogling Macy's windows (it was their flower display, which is a great display) a woman ahead of me motioned to her companion, "Let's let her find her pace." Clearly, she meant let me walk past her as I was heading to the subway and stuck behind slow moving traffic. But, her comment inspired an essay that I used to apply to the New School for their honors writing program.

Inspiration for writing prompts hasn't been a problem for me, but then I don't know what to do with all my literary "scraps," so to speak. I can't find a way to weave them all together into a larger body of work.

9. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Sometimes I just feel like writing but I have no idea what it is that I want to write. In situations like that I use the short story contest thing as a way to guide my inspiration, although I don't usually post my stories. I just recently found this writing prompt website, that's pretty neat too: LINK

When it comes to my bigger projects though I haven't really gotten too far with them. I love creating characters and exploring other worlds in my imagination but when it comes to the big picture (theme) I haven't really found out what's worth writing about yet. I have to do some more self discovery / philosophical thinking first.

But my biggest inspiration has to be: Reading. Nothing like picking up a novel and admiring the authors work to get me to want to write. Or picking up a book and thinking, 'it's okay, but I would do _____ differently.'

10. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

I'm with LittleFire on the video games and heart wrenching situations, it often leads me to become wildly inspired and i usually write beyond 1000words about it. But my main type of inspiration comes from the smallest of things, the look in someone's eye, the posture of the person standing at the bus stop or more recently i looked down at my own hand and almost felt like i wasn't inside my body at all. Weird i know. the smallest things can start a large story for me and i don't know why.

11. b.faulkner89

b.faulkner89 New Member

Well, i've always found myself thinking about things and saying to myself "geez, that would be such an awesome movie". Only recently have a realised that I can start writing some of these things down.

I don't get inspired by any particular event (although I'm sure it will happen at some stage), but rather, I get inspired when i think of something I would like to read.

1 person likes this.
  12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I mostly get inspired by nonfiction. Reading philosophy, watching BBC programs about the universe and of course interactions with people out in the world. The last thing I would want to do is copy other fiction - printing houses do a way better job at that.

1 person likes this.
  13. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I get a lot of inspiration from song lyrics and music. Music that really hits you in the heart, you know? Songs about real things that real people deal with.

I guess what inspires me most is simply my day to day interactions with the world. Everything is inspiring, from the people on the city bus in the mornings, to the man sitting next to me at the cafe, to an offhand comment a friend makes. Real life is my inspiration. I write about the issues that move me, personally, and that have impacted my life.

Like Morrissey sang about in "Panic," there's these metaphorical DJ's all playing songs about things that have nothing to do with my life, and it frustrates me. I write about human experience. That's what I believe, in essence, all fiction should come down to, but I see so many genre works that are missing that element of the human experience. This isn't to say all genre fiction is a wash; there are a lot of authors who write genre pieces with real people inhabiting them. But if there is anything that bothers me, it is flat characters who do not react to their world as real people do.

...sorry about that tangent.

1 person likes this.
  14. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I watch movies.

15. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

*squeel* i didn't expect so many different answers! I love it all!

16. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

That's the essence of creativity, of course! If I could only remember how many times the littlest thing has sent my mind off on a huge tangent. I think, that as writers, we have a unique ADD quality. :)

17. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

This post made me laugh out loud when compared to the "Yo! Waz up gangstaz" intro post.

18. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

Thank you for making my day. Hahahaha.

Best, Whiskey

19. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I have multipul people in my head. Thats all.

20. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

Haha. I laughed as well.

I draw my inspiration from the world around me. The majority of it stems from history because I have always found it interesting. Great nations just like we have today once stood at the height of their power only to be swept away with time and never to be heard of again except in history books. They had culture, religion, beliefs, morals; they were people just like you and I. Thus it is this mystery behind our worlds history that inspires me and guides my creative thinking.

Caleb

21. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Aight! Fun fun!

I think i have just to many nothingness that inspires me.

22. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Hello new writer person. I read your entry in the comp and I was confused. You are either a genius or very new to writing. You saying its 'comical' makes me think you maybe a smarter than i first thought.

Please tell me more about you. To answer your question... I am inspired by others and learning about others is part of that.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i get my 'inspiration' anywhere and everywhere... from what i know, experience, learn, see, hear, feel, imagine, and even dream!

24. thinking

thinking New Member

Usually when I write, stuff will just come to me.

If I'm stuck, there are a lot of things I'll do:
    1. Listen to music or
    2. Go for a walk
    3. Check blogs of people I know or facebook
    4. Read a book
    5. Check postsecret or even mlia. I love seeing these messages from totally anonymous sources and just imagining the lives of the people who sent them. They often help get me in the right frame of mind.

25. stef

stef New Member

Hey

I get my inspiration from a number of things, bu usually its a particular emotion or feeling that I want to recreate. I don't mean that I want to copy a emotional scene or something, but that I want to create something with that same feeling. :-D