1. b.faulkner89

b.faulkner89 New Member

Struggling to write in between the action

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by b.faulkner89, Feb 18, 2010.

I'm in the middle of my current project, and I'm finding that I'm having real trouble writing about what happens in between all the action sequences. I want to give the story depth, and i don't want it to just be mindless action.

But every time the action finishes, I find myself thinking about what the next big event will be, because that's what I haave the most fun writing about.

Just wanting to know if anyone has uselful tips on how to overcome this? What I can do to make the "in between" bits more exciting to both write and read? And also, how often should big events want to happen? I want to avoid a predictable pattern of action, calm, action, calm etc.

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Just write it the way you want it to go. There are plenty of books and movies where the action is virtually non-stop, and if there are lulls it is only because realistically there would be. Consider something like the tv show 24: from the initial event until the end, there is a series of events, some very action-packed, others less so, but (generally) there's no filler, no random "calm" scenes just for the sake of it. Those calm bits come when they are out of leads, or they are capitalising on a brief respite after some event. So, as long as the storyline is flowing well, there's no need to stop the action just for the sake of it, just write it how you imagine it happening.

To be brutally honest, if you're having trouble coming up with something to do between the action, that kind of story isn't going to be your strength, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's probably better in the long run to write what you enjoy and what you are good at rather than forcing yourself into something you don't care about. That's not to say you shouldn't pay any attention to developing your characters or considering some deeper themes, but let it flow naturally from your own ideas rather than forcing something.

I mean, you're certainly not the only person who is only interested in the action sequences, so why fight that? Write for that market, and for yourself.

3. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Well... Why stop the action? You can have 2 people making out while they shoot up zombies. Isn't that more fun? XD

But seriously. If you find that you are only good at creating action scene. Just go back and write about your day. Literally write about your day. Most people don't have action packed days. So if you find that your day was interesting you can write about it. Then you can read it to yourself. Find what was so interesting about it. Then put that into your writing.

When you're writing only action packed stuff. I think that means that you haven't have any strong emotions recently. So i would advice to go out and get a girlfriend. If you're to young or can't get one, there is another way to do it.

My favorite way of doing this is to meditate. I just go outside, sit on my trampoline. Close my eyes. Then just think. I don't really know what i'm going to think about. only that i'm thinking about it. Then when i'm done thinking i just lissen to the sounds around me.

I don't know if any of this will help you. But it has helped me. So good luck you yah!

4. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

What kind of action are you talking about? What kind of book are you writing? It really all depends. No book should be without action happening all of the time, but what you class as action is important. EG In a romantic comedy there is no typical 'action' in that there is no fight scenes or car chases, but the action is how the characters meet, react to each other and fall in/out of love. Some would say that Crime & Punishment has little action (a murder at the start), but the real action happens internally as the MC fights his madness and tries to outwit the law.

Don't have lulls in writing action, just define and change what type of action is being played out.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

If any scene is unnecessary, leave it out. After an action scene you can show the MC's reaction, or have them making plans for how they will move on to their next goal. Or you can do a 'meanwhile back at the ranch' and have a look at what's happening to the other characters.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

read lots of the best 'action' novels and see how good writers manage to do it...

7. EileenG

EileenG New Member

Just write the big scenes the way you want to. When you've finished, you can go back and stick in small link scenes if necessary.

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

you stole the words right out of my mouth, Mom!

I would recommend the same course of action. A novel is much like a person's life: do you constantly run around in a state of action or are there times that you reflect, have emotional moments et al? The same goes for your MC...give him/her a chance to reflect on what is happening and to make a course of action...more often then not he/she will tell you what they will do next...

9. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I don't know if this would help. I would suggest to reread a action novel. Since you allready know what's going to happen you won't get caught up in the story so much. You will be able to break down the writing and what he/she is thinking next. It might sound boring at first. But i have found that when i re do things that i find myself questioning how it was done and what can be done better or faster. Strange concept to think about but in the end it all lays down to the same line. Redo things you have done. Best learning excersise ever! Even though it is extremely boring.

Goodluck!

10. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

What?

11. b.faulkner89

b.faulkner89 New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neoaptt
    When you're writing only action packed stuff. I think that means that you haven't have any strong emotions recently. So i would advice to go out and get a girlfriend. If you're to young or can't get one, there is another way to do it.

Yeah, I was confused by this too.... i've had a girlfriend for 2 years.. Haha.
    But i think i get the gist of what you were saying

12. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

XD i'm just too confusing. I'm sorry. i don't know how to explain it.

13. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Just write. That's my advice.

If the bits between the action are rushed, so be it. Remember your first draft doesn't have to be perfect, but if you sit around second guessing yourself it won't get written at all.