1. Kirvee

Kirvee Contributing Member

Need some help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Kirvee, Jun 14, 2009.

Please forgive me if this isn't in the right area.

I'm trying to find some quotes to put at the beginning of the chapters for my demon novel and I'm having a really hard time finding a quote to fit a specific chapter's theme.

I need help finding a quote about labels and their consequences. The chapter's theme is "Labels", but the two quotation dictionaries I have and serveral quote websites I tried don't have anything for "labels".

I suppose quotes on discrimination would work in place, but the chapter itself focuses on labels...

If anyone can help me find either a place that actually has a few quotes about labels or just a few possible label-centric quotes I might be able to use, I'd be really grateful!

Please and thank you!

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Urban dictionary has a few funny definitions of 'labels' in the sense you mean.

3. Emiecassandra

Emiecassandra Member

I found a few things which may or may not help, but here goes.

“Stereotypes are devices for saving a biased person the trouble of learning” (Couldn't find the arthur for this one...)

“Character is the result of a system of stereotyped principals.”
    David Hume

“Instead of being presented with stereotypes by age, sex, color, class, or religion, children must have the opportunity to learn that within each range, some people are loathsome and some are delightful.” Margaret Mead

“By starving emotions we become humorless, rigid and stereotyped; by repressing them we become literal, reformatory and holier-than-thou; encouraged, they perfume life; discouraged, they poison it” Joseph Collins

“Man is the only critter who feels the need to label things as flowers or weeds.” (No arthur for this one either...)

“Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your conviction is to be an unqualified and excusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let them label you as they may.” Mark Twain

"Lazy people Label people " Joseph Cubby

"Those wearing Tolerance for a label
    Call other views intolerable." Phyllis Mcginley

Well, I hope these will help out.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

Its a total cliche but you could rock out some shakespeare.
    That which you call a rose, all that jazz.
    But really, I wouldn't. Sorry I can't think of something better.

5. Agreen

Another idea, probably better than Urban Dictionary, is designing a quote of your own. If you can't find one you like, create one that fits what you want and you can link it to your story if you want.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Be careful about using quotes. You may have to deal with copyright issues, including securing written permission, if you use anything less than about a century old.

7. Kirvee

Eh, I thought quotes were free to use, you know....since you're just quoting them.

@Emie:

Those two sound really close to what I'm looking for, especially the second one. Are there any others you might be able to find?

@Agreen: I thought about doing that, but then it seemed weird. What am I supposed to say as who wrote it? "by author"? It seemed a little....I dunno.....full? Other books I've read who've used quotes at the beginning of their chapters don't have any quotes by the author (at least I don't remember running into any).

8. Agreen

Is there a character in the story it could be attributed to? I've frequently seen quotes at the beginning of chapters, especially in in fantasy and science fiction, attributed to one of the characters.

9. amble

amble Member

Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom. ~Merry Browne

Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances. ~Wayne W. Dyer

Prejudices are the chains forged by ignorance to keep men apart. ~Countess of Blessington

If your lens is prejudice, you're wearing the wrong prescription. ~Carrie Latet

Our prejudices are like physical infirmities - we cannot do what they prevent us from doing. ~John Lancaster Spalding

That was just a quick google. Prejudice quotes seem to fit what you're after :D I am not sure of any legal or copyright issues so I'd advise getting advice before usign them.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not that simple... if the work the quote came from is still under copyright, you'll need the author's permission to use it... you'd better study up on the copyright laws, before you quote yourself into legal trouble... www.copyright.gov

11. Kirvee

@Agreen: There are a lot of characters in my book whom I can attribute a quote to, but in the specific chapter it's for, there'd only be one character. I'll think about it....

@Amble: A few of those sound lovely :). Thank you :-D.

@Mam: How do you suggest I find out if something someone said is still under copyright? Isn't that technically the job of an editor? Also, if a quote is on a quote site or in a quote dictionary, aren't they technically not under copyright?

12. mammamaia

you look up the work it came from... you can do that at the library of congress site: www.loc.gov

no, it's yours, as the writer who wants to use it!... fyi, submitting work you may have plagiarized parts of will not win you any points with agents or editors...

not necessarily... they could be there under the 'fair use' provision of the copyright law, since they're not being used in work that will be sold, but only listed for 'educational' purposes... when you use copyrighted material in your own work that you intend to sell, then it becomes plagiarism and is illegal/immoral/unethical...

if the quote is something that was only said, not written by the originator, then it's usable without permission, but still has to have the source cited...

13. Kirvee

Ah, I see. Does the Library of Congress have contact info for the current copyright holders? And if what you said about "fair use" applies to the websites, then quotes from my dictionaries must be okay because I had to BUY the books that have them in there.

Several quotes I got came from here: http://www.quoteland.com/. I'm not sure what that site's standing with the copyright is, but a lot of their quotes look like they're old enough to get around it. And they look like they have quotes for more than just educational purposes.

Also, I know plagarism is bad, I don't like it either. I don't wanna be plagarizing, I just don't see how quoting something is plagarizing if you still give the source.

14. mammamaia

no, as that would be next to impossible for them to do, since people move around a lot and copyrights may change hands due to death and such... it's up to you to find that out, which isn't all that hard to do, with the internet at your disposal...

why don't you just look up the 'fair use' clause yourself and see what it says can and cannot be done?...

on www.copyright.gov you'll find all the info you need, on how long a copyright lasts...

well, if you don't, i can't make you see what is obvious to me and to most... the point is that creative works belong to their creators and if you had created something that you made your living from, would you want others to be able to use it for free, without getting your permission?...

15. Kirvee

Well, no, but that would apply if I were to, say, copy and use the ENTIRE work the quote was from. But using just a small sentence? That sounds like a trivial thing to be upset about.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Allowable in review articles, scholarly papers, and other Fair Use circumstances, with proper attribution.

Not allowable in fiction or other circumstances where Fair Use does not apply.

Violate copyright law at your own substantial risk.