1. MajorInkSpill

MajorInkSpill New Member

Plot storm/Writer's block is murdering me

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MajorInkSpill, Oct 16, 2008.

Plot storm time!

...Brainstorm, whichever you prefer.

Okay, so, point is this: I've a killer case of writer's block, I've tried every prescribed cure and more, and the urge to try and write a mystery is killing me. I have some ideas, but nothing more than that and nothing else is coming to me. And, unlike with any other ideas that come to me, I realize for a mystery it would be smart to plot/outline things, which I usually do not do. And until I have a bit more to go on, I can't think of anything concrete enough to actually WRITE.

So, short summary of that rambling post: I have a handful of sketchy ideas for a mystery plot, and a case of writer's block that could've taken out the Hyksos empire on it's own.

First and foremost--if you have an idea how to kill the block, please, do share. ^^"

Secondly--anyone with mystery experience and/or ideas, suggestions will be welcome.

...Hi! I'm MIS! I'm new here and a total spaz. You can call me Swirly. XD

-MIS

2. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

How about a spy story involving the use of synthetic telepathy.

It currently exists and allows human beings to transmit their "inner voice" over a radio signal or, if the technology allows for it, into another persons thoughts. You won't belive this, but I've used military grade versions.

Anywho - look it up on google. A exciting mystery could be written, I mean - ask yourself these questions.

1. If synthetic telepathy allows users to commit their inner voice over radio, what happens when we have to say something rude or sexual.

2. If said inner voice is all that is broadcasted in operating versions, then we'll have to question exactly what is the soul.

3. Spies would be very special, wouldn't they?

MSNBC just did a news article on it. I can tell you that when I first used it I was humbled at the progress humanity has made. Freud eat your heart out.

3. Helmut_II

Helmut_II New Member

The best solution I've found for the Writer's Block is to just leave the whole project alone.

Many times, the idea will be prompted by something in your environment and you will continued.

Obsession is usually not the best way to achieve results.

Unless you're a hoodoo priest, of course.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are many threads under Writing Issues -> General Writing about Writers Block - how to beat it, and does it actually exist.

5. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I don't think you have writers block, I think you have plot blockā€¦.. or, a lack of focused ideas on which to write. There is a difference between the two and each has their own remedy.

6. Iris Reola

Iris Reola New Member

If you know how you want the story the begin and end, that's always a good start. What you could do is make a list of story events. If you have nothing in the middle yet, leave a big blank space in between the beginning and the ending. Ask yourself, "how can I get to this ending?" Write down ideas and counter them with plot twists (which are vital if you want to write a mystery).

7. MajorInkSpill

MajorInkSpill New Member

To Nobler Than Lettuce: I have to agree with you--that sounds incredible...reminds me of the Harley Quin stories by Agatha Christie, kind of. I'll look into it. Thanks! :D

Helmtut II: Hadn't thought of that...I'll try, no gaurantees, though. I'm OCD, and it always ends up sticking to every little thing I do! Gah. -.-"

Cognito: Ah, sorry. Should've looked for it first, shouldn't I have? My fault...

Dcoin: That's likley...The plot block, I mean. I'm focused on what I want to write (my OCD again...it sticks to everything with me.), I just can't find any way to get started. Plot block is more like it...

Iris Reola: I think I have a beggining, not a very solid one, but a beggining...I hope. That's what I've been trying to do, really, like...Cornell notes, I guess. Now that I think about it, that seems way too formal of a way to do things--I hate taking notes. XD I like that idea, though--kind of like connect-the-dots, in my mind.

...On a random note, I just finished reading a book with a character called Iris...she was targeted by the murderer but didn't know it until the end of the book...There were two murders, and the second was supposed to be her...I really need to stop rambling.

8. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

Yeah, it sounds like you have no story to write, and that's the block.

If you have ideas then at least putting a beginning and end on paper is a start. What's the MC's problem, and what should happen at the end, then you can worry about the middle as you write.

Also, write down the name of the MC and a good couple paragraphs about his personality.

That will tell you how he'll react to the beginning and end.

9. MajorInkSpill

MajorInkSpill New Member

Thanks, Adlerian (can I call you that?). That sounds reasonable...I was talking to a friendo fm ine today and was smacked right across the face with inspiration--so now I just need to get started. I'll take your advice. Thanks. :)

10. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

You can call me what you like!

Glad to hear you're getting started.

11. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

I have a trick to get me writing: open a new word document, and time yourself for 10 minutes to even half an hour, and all you're allowed to do in that time is write.

No food breaks, internet, IM/MSN allowed. You'll get so bored that you will start to write.

Don't worry about spelling or grammer, just type the very first things that come into your head. Even if you're writing about writing.

I find this helps open the floodgates and gets rid of that freaking annoying block.

12. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I'd suggest splurging your notes into microsoft notepad. - Whatever comes to mind just note it down. Put them under short headings such as "Possible plot - " and then write notes. Also, have a look on www.deviantart.com for stock photo's that could inspire stories and characters, and save them in a folder on your computer to reference when you need ideas. Even if you write a load of rubbish, as long as you keep writing, it'll eventually make sense. If you're starting the story, dont worry about punctuation and nitpicking and just get it down on paper first - you can edit it once you've established a direction.

I hope this helps - I use this method myself and ive been writing tonnes lately!

13. Sephie913

Sephie913 New Member

For a mystery, I'd imagine the process couldn't be identical to the process for other genre of writings, because you have to work backwards a lot.

So I'd ask myself this: what is the reality of the the thing? what is the truth? after that, think up how the truth could be skewed or completely hidden, and from there, how it gets uncovered. that would have to be easier than trying typical from beginning to end style.

for instance: a murder mystery. I would begin with the murder; who killed who, where, why how and when. what did the killer do wrong that could reveal them? how did they hide this? what were the detectives'/polices' first thoughts? and so on.

14. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

You want to write Mystery? My suggestion would be to take time out to research it. What do I mean? Simple really - go to your local library or second hand bookshop and stock up on the type of mystery books you like to read. Spend time analysing plot-structure, style, syntax, characterisation, with all the twists and turns inherent in the genre, and then use the knowledge to its full potential in your own work. Other than that, write and enjoy!:D