1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Drugs

Discussion in 'Research' started by OurJud, Aug 2, 2016.

When I started my novel it was set in a near-future. I did this for a couple of reasons - a storyline involving a GPS tracker that's implanted in one of the characters, and because I wanted recreational drugs to play a big part in the story. However, because I have very little experience with genuine drugs, I wanted to invent a range of my own, working on the principal that if a drug doesn't exist, no one can question its use and effects.

Anyway, the future aspect never really worked out. It's so slight and subtle that even I keep forgetting this element as I get further into the story. For that reason I'm considering scrapping the future angle, but if I do that I'm going to need some pointers drug-wise.

For now, I need a drug which triggers trips of the hallucinogen type, and a drug which simply zones the user out, much like heroin. I don't want to use heroin, though, because it's too heavy. My users are not addicts or dependant on their drugs.

One scene features a female hitch-hiker who robs my two leads after a drug-fuelled party at a hotel, by spiking a drink so that they're in no fit shape to stop her. I'd like them to be semi conscious and aware of what she's doing, without being able to do anything about it.

I also need a drug that could be used as an instant pick-me-up - something that would drag them out of a stupor.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

The sedative part I see most fit for your scene:

Rophy, Ruffles, Roofies, Ruffies, Ruff Up, Rib, Roach 2, R2, R2-Do-U, Roche, Rope, Ropies, Circles, Circes, Forget It, Forget-Me-pill, Mexican Valium.

A prescription sedative/depressant belonging to the Benzodiazepine family of drugs - it is produced worldwide by Hoffman-La Roche, Inc. The generic name for Rohypnol is Flunitrazepam. This drug is not manufactured or approved for use in North America but can be found as a street drug. The drug comes in pill form in .5, 1 and 2 milligram dosages. It is tasteless, colorless and odorless and can be crushed and added to any drink, including water, without detection. In the late 1990's as an answer to Rohypnol's popular use as a date rape drug, the manufacturer voluntarily changed the formula to change color when it comes in contact with liquid, but it is still easy to find in it's original generic formulation. Repeated use of the drug can lead to dependency.

The most common effects include; disinhibition and amnesia, excitability or aggressive behavior, decreased blood pressure, memory impairment, drowsiness, visual disturbances, semi-consciousness, dizziness, confusion, stomach disturbances, and urinary retention.

It is quick acting, with noticeable effects occurring within 20 minutes of ingestion. Mixed without alcohol the effects last 8 - 12 hours, with alcohol the effects last longer, up to 36 hours. After ingestion it can be found in the blood stream for 24 hours and in urine samples for 48 hours.

As the hallucinogenic one, do you prefer natural or man made drugs? Too many to mention. How many hours trip? What kind of trip? (Strong hallucinations or some fractals)?

3. OurJud

Wow, this is great ammunition! Thank you.

My main characters are into drug for pleasure and for that reason I'm struggling to see the appeal of the sedative you suggest, other than through addiction. My idea was that they take them for their relaxing, zoned-out effects, rather than aggression / depression etc.

As for the hallucinogenic ones, either man or natural would do. I'm aware of mushrooms,. As for the degree of the trip, a couple of hours with hallucinations that aren't going to have them throttling anyone to death or leaping out of ninth-floor windows.

4. Malisky

I thought about the Ruffies as a means for the girl to drug the MC's without their knowledge. You know... date rape drugs. Indeed a Ruffie is not a drug one would choose for oneself for entertainment. But the zone-out kind of drugs (with some notable exceptions), are usually the ones prescribed as antidepressants. Now, if we step out of the drugstore and into the black market:

1) Ketamine based drugs (ketamine is a very strong substance used to sedate big animals, like horses) like Special K. It's original form is liquid, colorless, odorless. They bake it in order to turn it into white powder. It's very easy to do so and very fast. When it's done, they take a very small portion of it, with the corner of a card and inhale it. Some people hate it while others love it. The upside effects are: relaxation, complete pain relief, some hallucinations (depending on how much the user takes in), fractals, distortion of sense of depth and a feeling like floating. (Sense of gravity is also distorted).

2) GHB (What you know. Another date-rape drug. But this one is actually chosen by the user and very popular in parties). But here's the source: http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/gbh.html

3) Opium based drugs. The classic ones. You might not like them, but they are the most consumed yet for after party reasons. Even when the user is not addicted to them, sometimes they are used in order to push down the effects of the drugs they used earlier. For the sake of sleeping soundlessly lets say.

4) Morphine.

All these drugs are relaxants. They cause hallucinations or at least fractals. The effects depend on the proportion and the user. Some users hate ketamine while others hate GHB. Almost everyone loves heroin.

The same goes for the psychedelic drugs. It depends on the user. The problem with these drugs is that their effects are more unstable and the portions are difficult to measure. Especially for the natural substances. The upside is that they are less addictive. The addictive part is mostly psychological. The substances themselves are unlikely to hook up in the organism. The downside is that they may scare the shit out of you and leave you scarred. As I said. It depends on the user. A list you might want to check out:

1) LSD

2) Mushrooms (Too many to mention, with different effects, etc).

3) Mescaline (Difficult to find in Eu)

4) Ayawaska (Difficult to find in Eu)

5) Datura (not a good choice though)

6) Salvia (You smoke it. It works almost instantly. It gives a hell of a ride but it doesn't last long).

Hope this helps.

Oscar Leigh and OurJud like this.
  5. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I believe the rophy suggestion was for the hitchhiker to spike the drink with. There may not be an appeal for them to take into voluntarily but for the girl to sleep into their drinks to inhibit them from pursuing her, it seems like it would work.

As for the pick me up, Speed is the first thing to come to mind but that`s easy to get addicted to and you said they aren`t addicts. Molly can give feelings of increased energy and that got big among the nightclub and rave scene which seems to be the type of thing you're guys would be involved in. Molly comes in capsules and tablets but liquid and powders do exist. Along with the increased energy, it would also give increased feelings of pleasure, emotional warmth, distorted sensory and time perception. Lasts about 3 to 6 hours. High doses can spike body temperature. It can also lead to sexual behaviour due to an increase in serotonin which affects sexual arousal and trust.

There`s also weed,that`s been used as a pick me up. coloradopotguide.com has information on the different strains and such.

Oscar Leigh, OurJud and Malisky like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As regard pick me up amphetamine is used by US army for that purpose (it used to be known as green hornets) - the problem is that it doesnt do a lot for your judgement

The British army use pure caffeine - basically like pro plus but in much higher dose - these are known as purple nasties, or a belfast bomber , they keep you awake and alert for 12 or so hours, but you feel like absolute shit when you come down (this is also true of amphetamines)

7. OurJud

Thanks everyone. This is all great!

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I suppose cocaine (classic , not crack ) could also be used as a pick me up in an emergency , but again its terrible for good judgement .

9. OurJud

My two characters have just escaped two gorillas who were sent by the villain to pick up one of them. They overpowered them and stole their wallets and car.

They are now in the process of ransacking the car for valuables before dumping it. What I want to know is:

Is it likely the two goons would be carrying any gear. They find some 'personal use' coke in one of the wallets, but I'd like them to find more, which they could then sell. I'm not talking about a million pound haul of the stuff, but an amount worth a few hundred.

And if they did find it, where would it likely be concealed? I'd imagine behind the plastic fascia of the dash and console, but the car is a mid-range BMW so I'm not sure if it would be quite so easy to do this.

10. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

A few hundred quids worth of coke would be a little under six grams...it wouldn't be worth pulling off the fascia for. Six grams bags could be kept in a larger ziplock bag and stowed under the front seat—easily accessible for selling, and jettisoning if needed. Your goons must be a bit on the thick side to be keeping Class A drugs in their wallet though. Either that or they are using too much of their product. ;)

Malisky, OurJud and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Acid or LSD would do it. Maybe Magic Mushrooms.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. OurJud

I don't think it's that uncommon. It could be jettisoned from their wallet just as easily as from under the car seat, and we are only talking PU here.

13. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

You guys have done lots of drugs, eh?

For my part I fancied the meth-inspired sex orgy, probably a motel somewhere, blood on sheets, a noose swinging in the corner over a constant television cowboy film, and flesh. I wade round the crack den, total swordsman, shag even cutlery, handles in mugs, curtain rings, the remote control is close to hand, you know?

Afterwards I go for a swim, and everything is fine, I clear my head, get back to my writing.

Malisky and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  14. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hey! Just because I know now a lot about civil war doesn't mean that I go off and incite one! ;) I am a peaceful kind of girl, even if my signature implies the opposite.

15. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Maybe among personal users, but purveyors on the job? That's how it reads when you say there is several hundred pounds worth still in the car.

And as for 'easily '— When a turn in the road could potentially reveal a VCP? When having to slow down, being aware that any sign of erratic driving will mean, at the very least, a breath and drug test and having to produce ones licence? Fiddling to get a small bag or wrap from a wallet? Throwing the wallet in entirety isn't an option, as then the cops will detain, run plates etc. They may also search the car, just because they can. People who deal do not want to get caught, especially over a trivial amount. Especially those with prior, and many do.

@matwoolf

Not so much that. I know plenty of heavy weight dealers and their 'goons' That's how the paramilitaries here raised funds to buy guns. ;)

Malisky, OurJud and matwoolf like this.
  16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Everything is okay @Lifeline, nothing to be seen here.

And yes, certainly you may thank me - and thank you - for your kind words of support. Alone, I successfully corralled these 'usual suspects' in a corner of sorts. I shall wipe scourge from our village.

...shall send for @Daniel, for the headmaster, and for the magistrate - once I empty grubby pockets, confiscate oregano, liquorice, the red smarties, the giant bags of cornflour: humiliations I suffered in some form or other, determined is my quest for restitution and for justice.

Lifeline likes this.
  17. OurJud

@obsidian_cicatrix Are you saying it would be more authentic and plausible to have either the little baggie of PU and nothing more, or to have the hidden stuff and nothing on their person?

The pack I have them find behind the dash I describe as being roughly 3x2 inches in size. Are you saying they wouldn't go to such lengths to hide this amount behind the dash?

18. big soft moose

Most cars you could reach under the dash and stick it with duct tape, rather than pulling bits off the facia ... personally though i'd want it somewhere easier to lay hands on if i were either dealing or using it for personal use - like may be in the glove compartment. You wouldnt want to be groping about under the dash every time you got a customer

OurJud likes this.
  19. Jarvis XIX

Jarvis XIX Member

I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I also have some questions regarding drugs and have little experience with them myself. It seemed senseless to open another thread with this one just down the page!

Two of the main antagonists of my novel are heroin addicts. At the point I'm working on, they're both withdrawing. Firstly, would there be anything that someone could use to fill the gap, so to speak? I have written a scene where one of the two smokes a spliff, thinking of it as a poor substitute. Secondly, would withdrawing make someone quick to anger or aggressive, or would they be too weak? Thirdly, what effect does heroin have on a first time user?

20. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Jarvis XIX likes this.
  21. Jarvis XIX

Jarvis XIX Member

22. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

There is no 'drug' that can really ease heroin (opiate) withdrawals other than opioids, such as methadone, codeine, tramadol, etc. Most withdrawing addicts will try to ease the discomfort by using a range of things such as spliff, valium, alcohol and so on. this may ease the mental discomfort but will not ease the physical, with the exception of valium in some cases

Certainly being quick to anger and possibly aggressive, fits, but as you mention fatigue may overrule that.

Most first time users vomit, and find the experience a bit scary unless they have a tiny amount and then it may be experienced as pleasant. The effects of opiates do vary from person to person, some find it energises them, some the opposite. Some are quick to 'gouch' or 'nod off' a state of semi-consciousness or dream-like state, some require larger doses to get there. Some hate gouching, declaring it a waste of drugs, some crave that state. A reasonable description of the effects of heroin is; 'like being wrapped in a warm duvet'.

I speak as a certified addiction therapist and counsellor. I would be happy to help.

Malisky, Jarvis XIX and Shbooblie like this.
  23. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

What about Ambien or something similar? I know people who have prescriptions for it and I've gotten some really strange phone calls from them right before bed. It'll definitely cause a semi-hallucinogenic state with some lethargicness. I'd think it'd also be pretty easy to spike someone's drink with it. I'm sure you could use cocaine to get a "bump" out of it for a short time if you needed.

The problem is that most of the drugs mentioned so far are extremely addictive and you say that you want something lighter. What about just plain old regular marijuana? If you put it slightly in the future, we'll probably have some really crazy strains. Pot now is 10-100 times as powerful as what our parents smoked at Woodstock, it'll keep getting stronger and is not as addictive as some of the other drugs mentioned.

LSD is also insanely powerful and not terribly addictive. The problem is that the molecule itself is extremely fragile, so much so that tap water can destroy it, so spiking an alcoholic drink would likely be impossible.

Magic mushrooms act differently for different people. I've taken them before, felt sort of like pot: giggly and happy. Has some weird visual distortions like I was looking at everything through a lava lamp. They also act differently different times. I've had some that barely did anything and some that were pretty wild.

In my experience opiods produce wicked hangovers. I've been given both vicodin and oxy for tendinitis. The vic made me nauseous the entire time, I couldn't imagine anyone using it recreationally but I know some people do. The oxy felt the way Francis described it, like being wrapped in a warm blanket, but very very high. The hangover the next morning though was as bad as any with alcohol. It was so bad that I chose to just deal with the pain than go through that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  24. Malisky

They could try methadone or something but no, a heroin addict only gets filled by heroin. Nothing else is good enough and related to what they are seeking. A spliff is nothing for a heroin addict. A simple cigarette has the same effect as a spliff. It's nothing. They could eat it for all I know and feel nothing. And yes, withdrawal (at its top, while experiencing the hell effects) makes someone crazy. Angry doesn't cut it. Crazy is the word. All morality and scruples, crumble down accompanied by the ego and the reality one has conformed oneself. The user is lost. It's quite dramatic. There are bouts of madness and then exhaustion again and again. A long term addict will more likely die without being treated. He needs a substitute and a disciplined program in order to decrease his/hers dose daily or even weekly or monthly. Methadone is the drug I know that they used. Maybe they use another today. I'm not informed.

The effect it would have on a first time user depends in which way the user took it. There are three ways that I know of. Slide, line or shoot. If he shot, then most probably he puked shortly after, without even remembering it the next day. First time users though (if they are reasonable enough) do not shoot usually. They slide and if that doesn't cut it for them they inhale it in lines.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  25. SplashWorm

SplashWorm New Member

I had no idea there is more than one kind of cocaine

Spencer1990 likes this.