Need to learn good Grammar. Best Book suggestion?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Abno, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

That’s true. Nearly everyone… I see that you use the pre watered-down Fowler’s ME. Hardcore stuff!

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Oh, "hardcore" would be the original 1926 edition. Gowers watered it down a lot. But at least there's no risk of thinking that it's all hard facts, devoid of personal opinion.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know it hasn't really gone that way yet, but as soon as this turns into a UK vs US grammar prizefight throw-down, I will be closing the match.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hey folks, it's a valid point that he never mentioned that he is posting from the USA (and therefore is probably looking for a US grammar primer). But let's not get too far astray of the topic with a debate over which flavor is "best."

5. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    As if we'd do that! After all, we all know already ;)

To muddy the waters even further, Australian English, Singapore English and probably lots of other English varieties all have their own distinctive rules. There's a lot in common, and they're pretty much mutually intelligible, so if somebody just wants the basics then no primer is going to lead them too far astray. It does matter when you get into the detail, though.

6. Abno

Abno New Member

Hahaha. I never actually thought about wanting to learn either British English or U.S. English. Well, since I live in the USA, though I was born closer to Britain than the USA, I want to learn U.S. English, since I learned all of my English here. Though the thought of learning proper grammar the British way sounds appealing since it would give my writing a certain flavor to match something personal to me, which is that two of some of my most favorite music groups/bands come from Britain (if I'm correct), Massive Attack, and Faithless.

So, anyways... To clarify everything, I'll just stick to the U.S. Grammar. I am a beginner, and want to focus on grammar, punctuation, and the rules.

7. Abno

Abno New Member

Rules For Writers is what I chose. Thanks for all you guys' help.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The original poster has gotten his answer. Not going to let this stay alive with off topic excursions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.