1. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Active Member

Need to write about something

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by waitingforzion, Apr 8, 2014.

I want to write a blog but it seems like I don't have any ideas to put down. The main problem seems to lie in me not being able to choose a topic, and not having the skills to research or organize information. I don't think I can write about too many topics without doing research because I don't have a lot of knowledge. Although I am now in college, I didn't receive a normal high school education, and I didn't do well in earlier grades.

The other problem I have, trying to make my words sound poetic, is easily eliminated, because I can choose not to worry about giving them a poetic sound, aim for a plain prosaic style, and worry about that later when I have mastered clarity, as people on this forum have suggested. But how do I deal with the problem of not having enough thoughts?

I was hoping to make at least a little money as a writer one day. Originally I wanted to write a novel. I never got anywhere near that. But since I can blame that on my preoccupation with rhythm, maybe I should try it again. What should I work on now if I want to make money writing short stories and novels? Should I work on making up the plots, writing clearly, mastering mechanics, being more descriptive, or doing all these things at once?

Can anyone recommend me some good books, particularly one I can read for free? I know that actually writing is better than reading about writing because that's the only way to learn how to apply what I read, but the problem is, I usually don't apply what I read, and then I wind up forgetting it. So I need to go over the basics of story telling.

2. Bartleby9

Bartleby9 Member

If you want to be a writer you have to read. And what you read is important. When you have read enough give writing a try. Writing is a craft. You have to work on it just like you work on anything else. There are no overnight geniuses. No one rolls out of bed and writes a masterpiece. Maybe you need to live a lot first. Maybe you'll be ready to write in your 30's or 40's. Maybe you will have read enough and experienced enough by then. If Hemingway just chilled out in his Uncle's basement in Brooklyn in 1928 would he have written "The Sun Also Rises"? No, he had to live it first. That's not to say that all writing must be inspired by experience. A lot of writing can come strictly from the imagination. But you have to work on the craft first. Your imagination and your ideas won't have anywhere to go if you can't put the words on paper. So write just write. Write a lot. Write anything. When you get home write about your day. Write about your walk to school; who you saw, what they said to you. It doesn't matter if its not interesting. You're putting the hours in. Think of yourself an an apprentice. All the work you're putting in now is part of learning the craft. The chef at the bistro around the corner didn't buy a bag of groceries one day and become a chef the next. He worked on it. And so will you, if you want to be a writer.

minstrel and jannert like this.
  3. desert rat

desert rat Member

I agree completely with Bartleby9. To add to those comments though consider writing what you are passionate about. And, no matter how you cut it, you will have to do research... lots of it. That is part of the joy of writing, to compile information and present it to an audience in a way no one has before. I cannot think of any type of writing that does not significant research. But if you are interested in the topic, the research is a pleasure, not a chore. One thing that has worked well for me, is to set a goal of reading three to six "Classics" a year. I am weak in that area, and to read a lot of them is intimidating. But to read one every 2-3 months, that is very doable.

And as far as free books... that is what libraries are for :) I know they are old fashioned in todays world, but they have everything you want for free.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Your first blog post should be about how you can't think of a topic to write about. ;)

I agree with Bartleby9; read a lot. Project Gutenberg has tons of free books, though they're all older books because they have to be in the public domain. The library is another great choice.

@Bartleby9 and @desert rat, you guys need to get new avatars. You're cramping my style.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I just babble on my blog. :) I write about:

- Perfume.
    - Fried chicken.
    - Sewing.
    - Fashion. (The adventures of the fashion-ignorant who's starting to pay attention to fashion.)
    - Writing.
    - Blogging.
    - Gardening.
    - My dysfunctional mother.
    - Books.
    - Movies.
    - Feminism.
    - Hoarding and clutter.
    - And the occasional scrap of my own fiction.

And so on and so on. I say, just write.

6. Bartleby9

Bartleby9 Member

I have chosen T.S Eliot. But not because he has been accused by some of plagiarism.

minstrel likes this.
  7. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

How about blogging about the book you are reading, chapter by chapter? Something will come out of that, I'm sure.

jannert likes this.
  8. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Contributing Member

If you have to read to be a writer, what did the first writer read?

Madman likes this.
  9. Bartleby9

Bartleby9 Member

makes the epic poets of antiquity even more brilliant, doesn't it? No influence to draw from, no template, just winging it. Brilliant.

10. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

I imagine that the first poem to be written down was born out of a long oral tradition where they gradually learned that some words sound better than others.

Bartleby9 likes this.
  11. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

It doesn't reall matter what you write about in your blog, since almost no one is going to read it anyway. I still think starting a blog would be a good idea for you if you force yourself to post every day. Writing is writing, and it's the experience that will make you a better writer, if you have the talent.

Free books ? I'll agree with others here who suggested your college's library. Start in the northwest corner, top shelf, left end, and read your way around.

If you don't mind, I''ll also offer that, judging from your posts here, you're spending waaay too much time thinking about writing rather than doing it, which is a very common form of procrastination and prevents you from actually achieving what you say is your dream. Don't worry about ideas, research, style and especially rhythm (I don't really understand your posts about that) and just start writing. Post some of your stuff in the critiquing areas here and we'll go from there.