Nerds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gonissa, Feb 25, 2012.

1. meduso

meduso Member

I don't consider myself a nerd, though perhaps a bit of a geek. I have always known nerds to be associated with poor social skills, high intelligence and a tendency to work hard. Geeks are more those who, while not socially outcast to a nerd extent still dislike certain types of social interaction, the boisterous testosterone/'plastic' girl based ones to be precise, and are defined by their love of 'geek culture' such as sci-fi, gaming, the internet in general. Both groups are typically non-athletic and not particularly concerned with physical appearance.

Oh, and I'm below 20 but only by a few months, if that helps.

2. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

1. Judging from the above definitions, I'm more of a geek than a nerd. But many people get the word's meaning wrong, including me, so I think I'm a nerd.

2. I'm turning 26 this Wednesday!

3. Being a geek means having an unusually strong passion toward something. A nerd is someone who behaves in a socially awkward manner. In casual conversation, the two words seem interchangeable.

Mallory, yes, being a nerd now seems to be cooler now than in the past!

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

1. Do you consider yourself a nerd?
    yes

2. If so, are you below 20 or above?
    Over 30

3. How do you define a nerd? Is being a geek significantly different?
    For me a nerd is someone who doesn't care what people think and expresses an interest in anything that is seen as 'intelligent' or have a precocious talent in something or who is significantly different in someway from the popular crowd. They don't have to be socially inept, but just not be willing to sacrifice who they are to run with the crowd. (Most geeks/nerds I know manage just fine outside of a school situation or a situation where they are required to 'fit in') - personally I think those that exclude geeks/nerds are the ones with the social problems. Anyone who rejects a decent, fun human being just because they are different imo has social issues. Most of my school group went on to do just fine at university - once they hit an environment were individuality is prized, they'd had years of practice and that made us popular. A geek for me is a nerd who has one specific/primary interest area - they can be computer geek, history geek, cartoon geek etc whereas a nerd can show interest in a lot of different areas.

I am a nerd, but by choice. I found nerds/geeks allowed me the breathing space to be myself and made exceptionally good friends. I've never been socially inept, but just didn't like the 'in' crowd and had no great desire to be that kind of person. I even had friends who weren't nerds.