1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Weeee! I got my first 1 star review.

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by doggiedude, Sep 19, 2016.

I just love this:

--I really do not know the purpose of this story. Did not read part one and don't know that I will. Sure did have a lot of cursing to be so short. Do not recommend even as a short read. Dreary and too many unanswered questions.

Considering the story is spec. fic horror, I thought it was kinda funny having someone complain about cursing.

Gareth MH, jannert, zoupskim and 3 others like this.
  2. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Haha now you have to go back on there and personally attack his intelligence until you convince him that's he's wrong and also stupid, right? I believe that's the best approach. I also find it funny that someone would read part 2 without reading part 1.

jannert and doggiedude like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As I mentioned on another thread I once had a beta reader complain that there was too much violence and swearing .... in a story about mercenaries in the Belgian Congo

Some people are idiots - it's best to ignore them , you can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed oponent

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    KaTrian, jannert, Cave Troll and 2 others like this.
  4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Fuck 'em. :)

It's fantastic people are reading your work. Can't please everyone, right?

Cave Troll and doggiedude like this.
  5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Translation:
    I didn't ready the beginning, but now I'm going to complain because I'm confused. Sure that confusion could have been alleviated by reading part one, but I'm too much of a lazy fuck to do that. And I'm really upset that your horror book did not contain fluffy bunnies and rainbows. I shouldn't have to consider a book's genre when I buy it; Amazon should only carry books I like because, ya know, looking at the description and reviews is just too much work.

karldots92 and doggiedude like this.
  6. doggiedude

To be fair, the part 2 doesn't require reading part 1, but yea, that did seem odd.

7. doggiedude

Okay .. this is too damn funny.
    From the same person on Mapleberry I

-I said I was not gonna read this first book after reading the second one, but what the heck. Not nearly as much cursing. Which just made book better. The plot to this book was so much better than the next one that it makes you wonder what happened with the second one. Writer should have stopped at this one. Really enjoyed this book. The ending had me holding my breath, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is worth reading but gladly do yourself a favor and skip the second one.

Okay .. he/she REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK.
    Gave me 3 stars.
    LOL

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Priceless!

I really don't get the 1-star-because-there-was-swearing crowd. My mother is one of them. In fact a few days ago she ranted that the book she was wearing had "F-this and F-that on every other page. There's no need for it!" I told her that was fucking appalling, and she tutted at me.

I love that he enjoyed book 2 so much he sought out book 1!

doggiedude and Spencer1990 like this.
  9. Spencer1990

I will never for the life of me understand them either. I mean ridiculous, over the top, using "fuck" as a comma, sure, that's a little much. But I've read some seriously scathing (and hilarious) reviews on Amazon and Goodreads by people who are flat out flabbergasted by the fact that someone said "fuckin'"

doggiedude and Tenderiser like this.
  10. doggiedude

Maybe next time, I'll post a G-rated version of my work along with it.

Then Frank -- my bigoted red-neck character -- can walk around saying--"Gosh darn N-word! What ever shall I do about this?"

Spencer1990 and Tenderiser like this.
  11. Tenderiser

Please do that, but make him really Ned Flanders.

"Good golly goshdarnit, what have I done got myself into now? Look at these naughty creatures trying to diddly-iddly kill me!"

Gareth MH, jannert, Brindy and 2 others like this.
  12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

To be fair, some writers do incorporate the f- word as a substitute for actual tension. They think somehow that makes their work more "real."

peachalulu and OurJud like this.
  13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My characters swear a fair bit, but they are soldiers and in my experience soldiers do. I remember a corporal who litterally couldnt complete a sentence without saying fuck at least once , if you asked him how his kids were doing at school he'd be like "the young un's fucking killing it in maths" - how he managed not to swear in front of the colenel was a mystery for our times

doggiedude likes this.
  14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I was about to say something similar. Swearing can be overused, there's no two ways about it. I've not read @doggiedude's books so I can't pass comment, but how do we know he isn't overdoing the swearing?

I read both samples and thought the writing in Book II was much better than the sample from the first book. I didn't notice any swearing in the sample for Book II, so I can only assume it comes later.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    doggiedude likes this.
  15. Tenderiser

Firstly, because it's a spectrum and 'too much' is a different place for every reader.

Secondly, I've read it and it's totally in character. It would be absurd for Frank to think in terms of diddly-doo rather than fuck.

doggiedude and Spencer1990 like this.
  16. Spencer1990

That's really where the line is right? Whether or not it's in character? It's pretty important for characters to be fully realized and there certainly are droves of people who swear quite a lot (me).

17. big soft moose

Well if he's a redneck he could always say "weeeull Aaah doo declare" :D

I jest of course, although I once had a boss who actually said that when i would have said "well fuck" I think she was from Lousiana

18. Tenderiser

For me, aye. For my mum and others I've seen on review sites, one swear word is too many no matter who says it.

jannert, doggiedude and Spencer1990 like this.
  19. Spencer1990

This strikes me as one of the (many) writing quibbles that will never be solved. Not that I need it solved, I mean. I'm comfortable with the language I use and staying true to characters.

20. big soft moose

but the chances are that those people probably arent going to pick up a book where the main character is a redneck solider/mercenary/gunfighter or whatever ... my mum keeps wanting to read mine , in the "mummys interested in what you're writing" type way and i have to keep explaining that its not really her kind of thing (given two swear words on the first page and a blow job interupted by rocket fire by the end of the first chapter)

doggiedude likes this.
  21. Tenderiser

My mum almost exclusively reads crime thrillers. You'd think she'd expect criminals to use a few bad words...

doggiedude likes this.
  22. doggiedude

I wonder if people like this would rather see -- "What the f**k was she thinking!" in their reading material.
    or maybe "What the [redacted] was she thinking!""

Spencer1990 likes this.
  23. Spencer1990

As silly as it sounds, I believe that some people truly would rather see f**k rather than fuck. I'm not sure how it changes anything. But I absolutely believe that to be the case some of the time.

doggiedude likes this.
  24. big soft moose

Have you ever read anything from when censorship was still in force (this may be a uk thing i'm not sure they did it in the states ), you get all these blanks, so for example in Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson VC you get (in the reading of a bomber pilots will) "and to _______ who was a complete________ and the biggest lineshooter in the squadron I leave a good kick in the_________ to be delivered by jock kinnoch the strongest man I know. "

Your mind can fill in the blanks , but its a little distracting

doggiedude likes this.
  25. Spencer1990

I've never seen anything like that. Maybe my sample is limited, but it might be a UK thing.

doggiedude likes this.