1. aqua_lens

aqua_lens New Member

Never submitted an entry before? But call myself a writer...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by aqua_lens, Jul 28, 2013.

Hi all,

I've never sent in any queries of my writings ( I write fiction) because I'm somewhat of a "closet" writer. The only other times
    people have seen my writing has been in class and most of the time the professors compliment me on my stories. I've been working
    on a novel now (romance) and have been too afraid to show it to anyone!

I've told my family some of the details of my stories but they've
    never actually seen the work I write in private. I feel like I have to change a lot of the content just to appeal to an audience. I seem to enjoy writing just for personal consumption.

I've also been writing erotica in my spare time which I'm very apprehensive to show to anyone.

Does anyone else label themselves a closet writer?

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I wrote some pieces I never felt comfortable showing to my family. I published them on an anonymous blog and now have a finished novella and a book of short stories, all still unknown to anyone who knows me IRL. These days I write crime fiction and a bit of sci fi, so it's much less risqué. But if you feel comfortable for your writings to never see the light of day, then you can just keep on writing for yourself. Maybe one day, 20 years in the future, you'll look at what you wrote now and think it's publishable. Feelings change, so don't throw it out or anything.

3. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I think what you need to develop as a writer, along with mastery of craft and all that good stuff, is a very thick skin. If you write honestly, it's hard to work up the courage to show your writing to other people sometimes, but I'd say go for it—if you feel your writing has achieved the quality you want, that is.

Unless you're writing something that may attract lawsuits (meaning you're writing explicitly about other identifiable people) I'd say you might actually be pleasantly surprised at the reaction you get.

I don't know how old you are. If you're still living at home with your parents, and fear your writing might give them the vapours, I suppose you might wait till you're a bit older. However, if you're out on your own, I'd say take the bold step. Maybe give your stuff to a few people you think might "get" what you're doing, and even enjoy what you're doing. Get feedback from them. It might well give you the courage to expose your writing to a few more people.

Unless you are truly writing for yourself alone—which means you probably wouldn't have posted this thread—you do need to take that step eventually. Don't leave it too long.

Whatever else you do, DON'T look over your shoulder all the time, worrying what other people are going to think of your content. A) You'll never know for sure, and B) I can't think of anything which will destroy your love of writing more than this!

As someone whose writing is occasionally juicier than old Aunt Audrey would like, I can certainly understand where you're coming from. However, the more you let people see what you're doing, the more comfortable you'll become with it yourself.

4. Zap Zimmerman

Zap Zimmerman New Member

I use a pen and paper to write out my work first and then transfer it over to the computer, fixing what spelling and grammar mistake I can. So I’m happy to call myself a write. I have had to whole thing about typing on a computer is not really writing, but I’m happy to pass it over now because at the end both ways end up with a finished story. The scary thing I did with my work was sent it to a friend.
    The long wait for them to finish almost drove me mad and I did not want to keep asking if they had finished. I would have felt like I was being pushy. The only thing I could tell you is what I was told about a year ago by a tutor “you can write anything down and call yourself a write, but to be called professional write you need a masterpiece to sell”.
    One last thing, enjoy writing and don’t worry about not showing your work; I never did. And in time you will take the scary step of letting others read your work.

5. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I had to laugh at that one! Boy, have I been there and bought THAT t-shirt! Unfortunately many non-writers don't have a clue how much you are on tenterhooks about what you've given them to read. I wrote a very long novel, and it took some readers months to get back to me on it. On the other hand, I've had people belt through it in a couple of days as well. So, that's part of the whole shtick, I'm afraid. You learn to WAIT!

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

My advice is to always give no more than three chapters at once (preferably only one chapter and wait for them to ask for more). Having to review an entire novel is a daunting task, for the reviewer as well as the writer, and the feedback you get from one chapter can be applicable to the entire novel. This way, your work gets read and commented on, without long waiting times plus it gives you the chance of fixing the same errors throughout (which if it wasn't fixed, would additionally annoy the beta reader).

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i only allow a couple of people i trust to see my writing, one is a published writer, the other, my 'beta' reader, who looks through it to make sure it reads alright. He isnt a professional writer, but he gives me a readers perspective of the book and points out things that some readers may find confusing.

8. aqua_lens

aqua_lens New Member

I'm 21 but when I come home from break, I tell family how I like to write but they've never seen the writings except for the ones from school. They don't ask about what these "private" stories are about though, I just tell them, but not too much detail.

9. aqua_lens

aqua_lens New Member

I'm 21 but when I come home from break, I tell family how I like to write but they've never seen the writings except for the ones from school. They don't ask about what these "private" stories are about though, I just tell them, but not too much detail.