1. arkadia

arkadia Member

New female member, Sweden/UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arkadia, Jan 17, 2016.

Hi all! Just my introductory post...
    Woman, late 30s, work in IT, Swedish but living in the UK.

I have always wanted to write, and have the plots for two stories in my head.

It feels like they really need to be put on paper now.
    The question is: Do I have the perseverance and can I find the time?

Getting published isn't something I'm worried about right now. The main priority is to get at least one of the stories written up.

Although my English is fully fluent, probably better than that of many native speakers, it's not actually my native language. The temptation to write in English instead of Swedish is very strong, since it increases the potential readership exponentially. On the other hand, anything I wrote in Swedish would have that extra something I may never be able to accomplish in English. Not sure how to handle this dilemma.

Second challenge is quickly getting up to speed on Scrivener. I started a thread on it.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi Arkadia,

just wanted to mention that you don't need Scrivener to write. Words flow even on paper or in a simple textfile ;)
    I have written for years and years on paper, and the first 40,000 words of my WIP were written with a simple texteditor. Don't let yourself get sidetracked, the words are important not the software ;)

Anyway, welcome :)

arkadia likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome!

As you say you're not thinking about publishing right now, why not write in Swedish, if that's the language you're most comfortable with?

arkadia likes this.
  4. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Hiya, Swedish Lady,

It's good that you're not zoning out your stories with the thought of publishing. Write for fun, in Swedish or English, it doesn't really matter. If you do end up writing in English, just write a chapter and then have a English native (preferably someone who understands the language and not just speaks it) read over it and provide feedback.

Good luck.

:)

arkadia likes this.
  5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :) Nice to meet other non-native English speakers! I can understand wanting to write in English instead of Swedish because your readership would be wider, but you should write in the language you're comfortable with. After all, there are many Swedish writers who've made it big outside Sweden despite the language. :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

arkadia likes this.
  6. kateamedeo

kateamedeo Active Member

Hello there! :) Like you, I'm not an English mother tongue and I live in the UK, and, believe it or not, work in IT :D and use Scrivener :D

I had the same dilemma - which language should I use for writing. Tried both, decided to stick with English.

Hope to see your work posted on the forum :)

arkadia likes this.
  7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Welcome! Fellow British IT person here (though i am actually British, but i do speak French as well) I say that I am IT, I am actually a programmer (well, studying to be one at university anyway) I've written a couple of books, but not used Scrivener at all, as i have found my comfort zone using MS Word...

arkadia likes this.
  8. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Welcome to the forum Arkadia,

I would write both. Do English first, and then Swedish. Ultimately it comes down to time. I actually speak a few languages and my ego would LOVE to write each version for those languages with what's in my head, but I may have to limit myself to one or even none if I want to actually get started on any sequels.

Just use word. All publishers (online) accept it and if you want to covert to other formats its easier. I heard of the scrivener thingamabob, but sounds too complicated. Stick with simple, and focus on the story itself, then worry about the details.

Good Luck,
    AB