New Forums: Collaboration, Progress Journals, Resource Discussion, Insights

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, May 22, 2014.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Finished? Perish the thought! You've just begun. Graduation is a great accomplishment, and congratulations on launching forth.

But it's not an ending, by any means. You've completed a multi-year, multi-discipline project, and the most important thing you have gained is the confidence that you can complete such a project. You sharpened your tools in the process, and you have learned how to rely on your own abilities.

Learning is a lifelong pursuit, and a lifelong delight. You don't need a college for that. You needed the college to test your mettle and to bear witness to the fact that you accomplished all that was set before you. Carry that proudly!

Daniel and jannert like this.
  2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Are you going to wear anything under your robe at graduation?

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Thanks Dave. I suppose there is something to be said about finishing what you start.

LOL

4. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

@jannert @Wreybies I could use your opinion on prefixes for the Software forum.

I'll be adding prefixes so you can filter threads in the writing software forum based on your platform/device.

Right now, for prefixes I have:

Desktop - indicates all desktop platforms
    Windows - indicates only Windows computers
    Mac - indicates only OSX macs/computers
    Tablet - indicates all Tablets (all major ones, anyway)
    iOS - iOS tablets only
    Android - Android tablets only
    Mobile - indicates all mobile phone systems (all major ones, anyway)
    iOS - iOS phones only
    Android - Android phones only

My concerns are:

1. That there might be a better way to organize this, and this method will be cluttered and hard to verify.
    2. What about software versions? This is probably not a big issue since most will work on most of the latest versions.
    3. Do all/almost all iOS or Android apps work on both phone and their tablet counterpart? Ideally I could just list All Mobile, Android, and iOS, rather than Tablet/Tablet-Android/Tablet-iOS/etc.. I'm not really sure most apps in the Apple App Store work on both the iPad and the iPhone, and the same for Android. Could someone shine light on this?
    4. What about operating systems that are a smaller marketshare, like Linux, Blackberry, etc.? Should these be included? Including minority ones might make filtering threads more difficult; Desktop (all) would have to include Windows, Mac, AND Linux, and we'd have to create prefixes for "Windows & Mac," "Windows & Linux," etc.
    5. Are people going to take the time to see what platforms the software is compatible with? If the thread submitter doesn't know and doesn't take the time to check, they might just mark Windows because they have Windows, and not mark Windows & Mac. This would make Mac users not even look at the thread.

Thoughts?

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hmm. I can certainly see your problem. It's going to be hard to make this all things for all people, isn't it?

I don't know how this works, but could something be done via a Search facility? In other words, if you want to know about Mac issues, you could put "Mac" (or Mac desktop) into the Search box, and it would throw up all Mac-related items?

If that's not workable, I'd suggest making the headings as simple as possible. I'm only referring to desktop stuff, because I don't use a tablet or smartphone. But ...Mac. Windows. Linux. General. Make it the responsibility of the people posting the informational thread to make sure that each relevant platform gets a copy?

I am thinking about how I would use the threads. I would go to "Mac" because that's what I use. I then might try "General" because something in there might be of interest to me. I would be unlikely to try "Windows" or "Linux," because I don't use these platforms.

This might seem very simplistic, but most of us users are! We just drive the car, we don't build it or even repair it ourselves. More's the pity...