1. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

New from Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by steveu1970, Dec 26, 2010.

Hi all,

My name is Steve and I joined today.
    I have been working on my novel for over a year now and haven't touched it in a few months, however my New Years Resolution is to complete it and start the publishing process this year.
    I'm pretty excited to join this forum and feel like this is my first step in breaking my writers block.
    Any feedback or questions will be appreciated and I will be happy to help anyone that needs help.
    I live in Alaska and love the outdoors here. I'm a proud father of three boys and have a beautiful, loving, and supportive wife.
    Steve

2. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Hi, Steve! Nice to meet you! Welcome here and have fun :)

3. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Thanks Archnenna,
    I plan on it. I have seen a lot of interesting threads already and I can tell it is a good decision to come to this forum. You appear to be fairly new here as well. Are you also a writer and if so what genre are you writing?
    Steve

4. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

You're welcome!

I'm still writing fanfiction, but I have some original ideas of mine for a few stories. I just wait until I learn to write better and improve my ideas until I start writing them.

I like fantasy and supernatural, so I write a mixture of both.

What about you? What genre are you into? What do you write?

5. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

I pretty much am into murder mystery writing but I love to read historical fiction.
    My writing is pretty violent and twisted. Think Lisa Gardner from a male perspective...
    I will be posting some of my work but after reading some of the rules here it looks like I need to review a few others works before I post my own. I will get going on that.
    By the way, I love the history from in and around Croatia. It is fascinating...

6. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

I'd like to read something of yours. If you ever post it here, I'll try to read if I have time.

You think it's fascinating? I myself think it's boring since I don't like history (I only like the mythology part). But everyone has something they like, right? I haven't met many people that like history and I'm glad to meet one here :D

Have you published anything yours?

7. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

I will be posting an excerpt from my novel within a few days. I am reading someones short story and I will be critiquing it(Not that I am qualified) and at least two more stories before I post mine. If your as young as you say you are it might be a little too disturbing for you(or a lot).
    I have not had anything published in about 20 years and the only other thing was an article I wrote in a small town paper about beer and the internet when the internet first got popular.

I promise you that eventually you will find history both important and fascinating. First you just need to make some history yourself, then you'll 'get it.'

8. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Thank you for the nice words :)

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome, Steve. :D

10. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Thanks Gigi! So far I'm enjoying my stay.

11. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Nice to meet you, Steve :]

12. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Thanks Jonahlexer! Much obliged.
    I love your Bradbury quote.

13. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Thank you! :]
    I see you enjoy writing mystery crime. I do too. I'm working on a high school massacre short story at the moment, what about you?

14. Rousel

Rousel New Member

welcome to the forum steve!

15. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Jonalexher

I'm writing a novel about a serial killer here in Juneau. I've been working on it for qiote some time now. I will be posting an excerpt soon for review.

16. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Thanks Rousel, nice to meet you.

17. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)

18. steveu1970

steveu1970 New Member

Thank you Eunoia!

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Steve, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!