1. VampireOutlaw

VampireOutlaw New Member

Greetings from North (:

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VampireOutlaw, Dec 15, 2010.

Hi. :)

My main username on forums (and YouTube) is VampireOutlaw. But my pen name at FanFiction.Net and other writing sites I'm on, is AngelJunior (unless stated otherwise in my FanFiction.Net profile. This forum, obviously, being one of the exceptions.)

I'm a man in my late twenties and I've loved creative writing all my life and showed a lot of potential with imagination and writing style already at elementary school, but then at some point I lost part of my imagination somehwhere. As in, after I graduated from junior high, I have been writing only fanfiction. I LOVE fanfiction to bits but still, I'm hoping this forum might eventually inspire me back into writing also completely original stories. :)

But I have created my very original characters which I've enjoyed writing about, but I created them into the Harry Potter universe and sometimes I used also some of the canon characters in a few of the stories... One of my original werewolf characters, Jesse, received very encouraging feedback of how "he lives to the reader too and not just to the author" - at least in one of my readers' opinion, while many at least liked the character a lot and the stories I wrote. I miss him. I pushed him aside when I wrote a closure to his life story even though it was nowhere near completed... Perhaps I'll bring him back one day.

I prefer developing a character rather than writing random stories about numerous characters I happen to like or about some random idea that pops into my mind. As in, Jesse I wrote into a series of stories though in a random timeline order. And now I still write mostly fanfic series about couple of characters that I've studied well.

My all time favourite character to write about, is the Harry Potter character, Barty Crouch Jr. - the book version of him. I'm very passionate about him; for years, whenever my interest has been on the fandom, I've been among other HP nerdy business, indepthly studying and analyzing him, his family and his entire story, taking note of and using in my interpretation even the tiniest detail revealed in the book and also taking note of how the information was laid out. So, I haven't been interested only in the canon about him but also in the author's intent. She told so little yet so much about him. Of course, I have no knowledge what her intent is and thus my interpretation remains just that; my interpretation, even though probably one of the most canon respective there can possibly be. I write about him in a fic series, in a random timeline order.

I usually write one-shots, or 2 to 4 chapters long stories at the longest. My english grammar is said to be exceptionally good seeing to that it's not my first language. And I prefer writing in english. Everything sounds so much better in english and I am able to free my imagination and descriptive narrating much more in english than in my stupid, ugly mother language.

The thing with me and the general grammar details though... I have some issues with how to use paragraphs, and punctuation but not on a level that it would distract a normal reader's enjoyment. As in a reader who reads the story for the purpose of reading the story instead of staring at grammar details.

At this moment I'm just in constant search for sites where people care more about the stories than about the grammar being perfect. I mean, there's a site that lists dialogue errors as "unforgivable errors". Including the one on which side of the quotation mark the comma is. ....and all I can say is: WHY!? Why do you even care? You're supposed to read the words and imagine the story. o_O

So, I'm not sure if I'll ever post my stories directly on this forum. Is this a place where grammar has to be almost perfect or do moderators and readers appreciate the story content more? I'm not afraid of and I appreciate grammar help in feedback but if a comment is all or mostly about it, then it puts me off because what I mostly like to hear is what you thought of my story, characterization and all that. Because I know my stories are easy to read, people aren't winching at my grammar errors and my sentences are 99,99% of the story, comprehensible and if some sentence isn't (because of the sentence structure differences in our languages that I sometimes forget), I'll be fixing it at the first notification.

Another fan art related hobby I have is making fan videos of oh so many fandoms. I've been actively making fan videos since summer 2006 so I'm good at it these days. :) And I make digital fan art with movie stills, like icons, wallpeprs, siggy pics and random stuff. I mainly publish them at DeviantArt under the stupid username BratPrinceFan.

But my dearest hobby after fan video making is forum roleplaying which is basically the same as (fan)fiction writing but through the interaction with the other player(s), it gets much more interesting, when you don’t get to decide everything and can not know what happens next. :)

My world actually revolves around fan art and writing but I do have other life too. :p I love night time, animals, children, watching movies, past centuries, psychology above most things in life... (only family and friends rank higher), aaaand...

Some of my favourite movies are The Lion King, Peter Pan (2003 live-action), Wes Craven's Scream, The Phantom of the Opera (2004), Young Guns 1 & 2, The Breakfast Club, LotR trilogy, the old Star Wars trilogy...

Favourite TV shows; That 70's Show, LOST, Monk, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel TV series, Little House on the Prairie, Second Noah...

Favourite bands: Bon Jovi is the most awesome band that's ever graced the face of the earth and I've been a fan since 2000. Fan of Elton John since 1995. Others I like/love are Bryan Adams, Evanescense, Skillet, 30 Seconds To Mars, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Simple Plan, Gteen Day...

For the last I'd like to notify you of my very poor eye vision. With my right eye I see only hand movement from very close-up and thus I don't use that eye. In my left eye there is only 15% left. You'd be surprised how much that is relatively. I still can live mostly independently but here lies the reason why I may write a lot of typos and can't spot them all immediately but only after many read-through. My fics of course I always write in MSWord and usually proof read them at least once and carefully. So far I have had absolutely no complaints of too many or too distracting typos by my readers, if at all.

If you're interested in my fanfics, (I write on several fandoms), you can find them all at FanFiction.Net under my pen name AngelJunior. My Barty Crouch Jr. fan fics and all is of course also foundable on my Barty Crouch Jr. Fan Site.

Feel free to ask if anything interests you. I'll be snooping around, giving my two cents into discussions and probably posting some of the current fics of mine if I dare... after making some constructive comments on other people's stories as the Review Room requires. Reading your stories is for one how I hope this forum might inspire me back into writing original stories too. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello AngelVampire Outlaw Jr., Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Gholin

Gholin Member

Welcome, VampireOutlaw!

I think most people here (At least from what I can tell) are more interested in sharing thoughts and passages of writing than they are with little technical errors. We are all here to share in our knowledge and passion of writing.

That said, technical errors are always good to find and if someone happens to point one out, please don't feel too offended.

Enjoy your stay! Hope we can learn from each other and help each other become better at what we love!

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Yay! Another Harry Potter megafan like me! :D

Welcome! :)

5. VampireOutlaw

VampireOutlaw New Member

Thank you, Cogito, I'll be looking into some of those links! :) I did read the Forum Rules already before I registered and no, I wasn't going to post my ownr work to the Review Room as the first thing. As I said, I plan to follow the Review Room rules on that. ^^

And thank you, Gholin. :) I'm glad to hear that and no I won't be offended if and when grammar mistakes will be pointed out, as long as they're not the most essential and/or the only thing discussed in the review. But if people here are as you say, I dare to assume it won't be a problem and I may be quite happy here, as well as probably learn and develop a lot as a writer. ^^

Gigi_GNR, thank you! And Harry Potter for the win!! ;D :love:

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Wow, you put a lot of effort into your introduction.
    Welcome. :)

7. VampireOutlaw

VampireOutlaw New Member

Thanks, Eunoia. Yeah, I usually do if I'm planning to actually be a part of the community instead of just/mostly a lurker.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Ah cool.
    Also, you do your smileys the wrong way round. :(

9. VampireOutlaw

VampireOutlaw New Member

That's because I hate the smiley in Windows Live Messenger and it's uglly-ass on some other forums too, so I always have to type it :) and then I'm stuck with it everywhere. :D