1. Johnlocke1

Johnlocke1 New Member

New idea, worth it?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Johnlocke1, Jun 24, 2011.

I just had a really weird book idea. I was having a shower while I came up with names, a world and even the first book title. Hows this, by the way this idea is like 15mins old so yeah. The story takes place on an island called "Valadur" There are many places on this island, a few to name are "Perisia, Osinia, the Vally of swords and Iaocia" The three main characters are named "Zay, Eldentho and Teres" The main enemy of the book will be nick named "The Exchequer - Aldin Terin"

Name of the book is "The journey of kings - Book 1: Valley of swords"

I know this is really really lacking detail and everything but its just a bland idea. Should I follow it?

2. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Um... what are you asking? You just listed a bunch of names and places?

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

As WriterDude said, this isn't an idea, it's just a list of names and places. It seems like you don't actually HAVE an idea yet.

But if you did (as I'm sure Cogito will tell you - he tells everyone), the idea by itself doesn't matter. It's all in how you write it. An idea in the hands of a hack is garbage, but the same idea in the hands of a genius is a classic. It's all in how well you write.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Very true.

Given the right ability, you can make a masterpiece out of a novel about two pieces of paper and a trash bag. Given terrible writing, even something with a plot and characters as great as those in Lord of the Rings or Hamlet will fail.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I find the names are half the battle. You've got names, now go write the places! You won't know if it's worth it unless you write it. :)

6. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Clearly he's writing a bible.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

You've got the characters the places and the titles.

So now all you need is a hook, the plot, subplots, conflict, character interaction and one compelling story.

You have a thought in your head, so start writing and see where it takes you.
    Good luck.

8. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Poor guy! you are going to have him rethink his idea. A lot of people think writing is so easy. Well, it is not. This is not to discourage him. But like everyone had pointed out. We need to know what Triby mentoned.

9. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Or The Silmarillion. :p

10. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

The thing I noticed about your post is that you were excited about the story. You may not have outlined a whole story idea but the names and places are inspiring to you, that is so imporant.

Keeping letting the names roll around in your head until they become people who start telling you your story and letting you follow their lives.

11. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

The thing I noticed about his post was that he had the thought while he was in the shower. That means that this is The Chosen Idea and it must be followed, as should anything you think of in the shower.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Ideas are only a starting point and an inspiration. Every writer will develop the same idea differently. And that is the hard work of writing.