1. Remas367

Remas367 New Member

New idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Remas367, Oct 18, 2008.

I've been thinking of many ideas over the past couple of days for a good story idea, here is one of my favorites I came up with(completley condensed outline):

John (don't have a last name yet) has many problems at home,school,etc. He slowley starts hanging out with the wrong crowd and making bad desicions. Next thing he knows,he ends up in jail for possesion and use of illegal drugs.

Someone breaks him out and gives him a second chance, now John wants to make things right but the thing that's stoping him is that the police are after him.

Do you think this is an interesting story? would you read it? Wat would make it better? What point of view should I write from?

(Please be as analetyic and honest as you can because I cant get an honest anwser from friends or family because they support me to much, I have no idea if what I say is any good or not >.<

2. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

It could be a good story if dealt with in a compassionate, good-humored way--and of course with GOOD WRITING.

These topics you start are perhaps sincere (I can't say for sure), but they are so badly written in and of themselves (the topics I mean) that I can say right here that I would NOT read this story if it was written in the same style and manner as you introduce your discussion forum topics. Just sayin.

Have you ever written an entire story from start to finish? Has any story you have written been published in a paying or even non-paying venue? If you answer "no" to both questions, then you really need to learn how to write, in my opinion. No subject is going to seem interesting to readers in the hands of an inept writer.

I hope this was helpful. yours in Chaos, Scarlett

3. Remas367

Remas367 New Member

Yes, I have written a complete story from start to end.
    no, I have never got my work published,for this is the first time I'm even geting help from anyone.And I'm sorry about the writing style of my post, it is not how I write, I just have a tendancy to write like that on fourms.
    (sorry)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

5. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

No apology is necessary, BUT--how do you expect for people on the internet to know that you can write well if you can't write two sentences well before you hit "post"?

This is not the text message window on your cell phone. People from all over the world visit this forum and see what you post. True, they have no idea who you are, but why not have some care about how you express yourself on the internet?

This isn't Facebook. xoxoxo