1. TablaSaura

TablaSaura New Member

Looking For A Book On Fiction Writing Jargon

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TablaSaura, Dec 10, 2013.

I want to learn the terminology of fiction writing. I am looking for a book that will add to my understanding. So far, all I have found is this one: Creative Writing: A Guide and Glossary to Fiction Writing (by Colin Bulman). I cannot find any reviews by actual people, just critics. I have no idea if writers like this one or not. Does anybody have any other book recommendations on the subject I could look into further?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't know of any book that defines "fiction writing jargon," but you could probably do worse than looking at Richard Lanham's work. He's interested in the analysis of prose, and he has a book called A Handlist of Rhetorical Terms that you might want to check out.

Beyond that, you could look at Seymour Chatman's Story and Discourse, or The Cambridge Introduction to Narrative by H. Porter Abbott. These aren't dictionaries, and are pretty darned academic, but they might help you out.

3. TablaSaura

TablaSaura New Member

It was recommended to me that I "learn the terminology of creative writing so that you can ask intelligent questions". I assumed learning terminology would be easier than referencing highly academic texts though. It isn't that I can't read and understand them, I just prefer a more layman presentation. Still, I need to get it done. Thank you very much for your help minstrel :p.