1. Helianth

Helianth New Member

New kid on the block (Disclaimer: Not an actual child or baby goat)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Helianth, Mar 15, 2014.

Hi! I'm a graduate student drowning in the sciences who needs a little more creativity in her life. Hence, my presence here! Along with writing, my hobbies include reading (primarily fiction), playing video games, binging on Star Trek, kickboxing, admiring nature, and culinary alchemy.
    My hope is that participating on this forum will rekindle the smoldering remains of my love for writing. I also look forward to meeting all the talented people here!

Andrae Smith and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think you hit all the bases. There are people here with those interests including kick-boxing. (I think that's what KaTrian said she does.) Several folks are into the culinary arts. I'm a nature/science kind of gal and there are more here like me. Grad school is in my distant past but there are a couple advanced students on the forum as well.

Welcome.

3. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Hi and welcome, I am a lover of everything culinary and a Muay Thai veteran turned Boxeur.

have fun on the forum!

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Helianth, and welcome to the forum! Please read the rules, participate, and have fun!

5. Helianth

Helianth New Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody!

6. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hello and welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. We have a diverse community with people from many backgrounds, interests, and parts of the globe. Depending on what time you're on, you'll most definitely find people to get engaged with and tons of information about writing. If you want to jump start your writing, there are writing prompts and writing contests and even a role playing room (where you won't find me >_<). If you want to expand your knowledge, there is information everywhere. And of course there's the workshop for when you're ready to share your stuff for critique.

If you don't mind me asking where and what are you studying? I'm a Sophomore at Arizona State University, so I can't help but ask whenever I come across other students (grad and undergrad alike). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you have a good time here. As minstrel said, look at the rules, participate, and have fun. We make the forum what it is.

7. Helianth

Helianth New Member

Thanks! I can already see that there is a lot of variety in terms of interests, personalities and writing voices. It's pretty awesome. It's already getting my writing cogs spinning :D.
    I don't mind at all! I'm in Community Health, so I get really excited about things like water filtration and vaccination. I remember my Sophomore year in undergrad, simpler times. Savor it.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. Andrae Smith

Great!
    Hmmm, Community Health, huh? I didn't know you could study that as it own field/subject. It must be relatively new as it's own category. Then again, I'm still young. So what do I know? :rolleyes: I'm glad you've got a strong interest in it. What type of jobs can you do in that field. Not thinking money-wise, but interest-wise, impact-wise. What kind of work can be done. Community health is an important issue, and my first impulse is that you'd become something like a health coordinator for school districts, or a sanitation administrator or something like that. What type of research do you do?

9. Helianth

Helianth New Member

The history of public/community health is pretty extensive, but I guess it's only started gaining popularity recently, maybe over the past 5 years. Don't quote me on that though. I'm looking into Health Education but I'm not quite sure yet. Adult decisions are hard.

If you don't mind me asking, earlier when you said "and even a role playing room (where you won't find me >_<)", does that imply that role play is seen in a negative light on this forum? Is it something to be a wee bit embarrassed about? Just trying to get a feel for forum culture, heh.

10. Andrae Smith

Oh okay. I wouldn't have known that. You've given me something to do a little looking into. I'm an English Lit. major by the way. Not sure what concentration I'll go into afterwards though. Perhaps creative writing, perhaps African American Lit. Maybe history of the novel. Or maybe journalism, or editing...something interesting that will help me bring relevance to high school English classes. I want to be a teacher. :p

And oh no, don't worry. I'm sure the RP room is a great and fun place. It's actually very popular. I can see where your concern came from though. I just meant I'm not much of an RP guy I tend to float around the workshop, the debate room, and the many other categories like Plot and Character development (separate sections), Word Mechanics, and General Writing.

11. Helianth

Helianth New Member

Oooh, okay, thanks for the clarification. For a second I was afraid there was some underlying clique system and the RP kids were uncool or something.

I originally wanted to be an English teacher, and sometimes I regret not going that route. The friends I have who made it in that field are all very happy, even if overworked and sometimes underpaid, probably because they really love what they do. It's definitely worthwhile :).

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. Andrae Smith

Nope. ha ha it's all clear. If any place deserves a warning it's the debate room. It's really not that bad, but things can get a little excited in there. The most common topic is usually religion vs. science, and you usually wind up with the same slew of arguments and debaters ha ha. But you're a big girl, you seem like you'd be just fine in there. Te warning goes to those who are faint of heart.

And that's encouraging. From what I know, most people don't go into the field for the money or easy workload (they'd be foolish if they did), but for the gratification of helping students grow and cultivating knowledge and so on.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The Debate Room is where all the depraved individuals hang out (I should know; I'm one of them :p). People are generally friendly everywhere else, though.

Welcome to the forum!

Andrae Smith and GingerCoffee like this.
  14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hey, I'm friendly. Just because I spend an inordinate amount of time in the debate sub-forum doesn't mean I'm not friendly. It's research. :p

There's a serious role playing group on the forum. It's not in my realm of interest but there are plenty of folks here for whom it is in.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  15. Helianth

Helianth New Member

Heh, I'll be sure to drop by the Debate Room if I'm feeling particularly opinionated or ornery one day.