1. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

Never written anything, starting my first.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eg8hardcore, Sep 16, 2014.

Over a decade ago while in High School I attempted to write my first story. I was a Starwars fanatic and while it wasn't actually a Starwars book, you could see the semblance. I got about 90% done and became more interested in women than writing. After all it was just something I did when I was bored.

Well I had a little cousin who looked up to me and copied everything I did, the difference is that he is now a published writer and just asked me to proofread his third book before he works on getting it published. It was a kick in the ass to me, and I think I have the time to go ahead and write my own now.

I have doubts that it will be a large success, but I'm still going to do so more for my own sense of achievement. I'm joining this community in hopes to learn A LOT from all of you about writing, how to create characters, etc.

I went about writing in a bit of a crazy way before. I'd write chapter 3 today, and chapter 26 tomorrow, and chapter 13 the next, then find ways to connect these. The musings of a teenagers just wanting to put my dreams on paper. This time I want to actually do it properly and finish. I hope that maybe I can help and contribute eventually, but for now I'm here to learn.

A little about me:
    I'm two weeks from turning 28 and one month away from celebrating my first anniversary. I work in sales and have for about a decade now. I moved to GA about a year ago with my wife just after she graduated from FSU when she was offered her own store to manage within her company. We have hopes of moving north to the Philadelphia area or the New York area as she majored in fashion and retail. I have no children currently and don't really have plans to.

My hobbies include a select few online video games, fast cars (import and muscle alike), and beer. I work 6 days a week and enjoy spending my Sunday doing nothing but relaxing and soon writing a story I hope.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Congratulations on your decision - Good luck with it!

Do you plan to write another sf/f book, or try a different genre?

3. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

For now another sf/f book. My first book I don't expect to be a success and therefore, I'm really using this as a chance to put my dreams and fantasies on paper, while gaining some valuable experience. This book will be more for me than it will be for anyone else. It's a way for me to tell somebody the things I think about without them labeling me a weirdo. I'm exploring the idea of a post apocolyptic underwater world that is built on the ocean floor where the rich travel by submarine and the poor have nowhere to travel to. Taking place in the future enough that technology has improved, but not so far that readers can't relate.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started.

You work 6 days a week? Sounds pretty tiring. Is that normal in the US? I hope you'll have enough time to focus on your writing. :)

Have fun, and see you around!

-Kat

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Yes.

6. KaTrian

All the more important to get a job you like. O_O

7. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

I do. Monday - Friday is 9am to 8pm and Saturdays 9am-6pm. Sunday = no work. 63 hours a week in total. About twice a month I also take Thursday off so there is that.

Thanks for the link to the New Member Guide. I'll be checking that out shortly.

While I do love sales in general and have been in love with some of my previous jobs; Supervisor at T-mobile, General Manager at Radio Shack, Store Manager at At&t to name a few, unfortunately I am only moderately satisfied with my current job selling cars. I actually took the job because my wife is moving up along her career path right now. She came home and said, "Great news, they offered me a store to manage but we have to move to a new state in two weeks."

I told her let's do it and I'd find something. I've been doing this for about a year and have no intention of making a career out of it, but we also won't be in this city for much longer. Six months to a year max before it's time to move again, and I don't see the point in starting a new job just yet and getting settled into it. I'd rather support my wife in her career for now, as her next move will take us to a more permanent location.

KaTrian likes this.
  8. KaTrian

That sounds like working over-time to me. Reminds me not to complain about my working hours!

Sounds exciting, so many changes coming up... Good luck with everything! :)

9. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

Unfortunately I work on commission/bonuses. Sometimes I make the equivalent of $65 an hour for two weeks. Other times I'm lucky to make the equivalent of $8 an hour. But it all balances out in the end so it's no big deal.

Thanks!

KaTrian likes this.
  10. Robert Klein II

Robert Klein II Member

If you want, go ahead and PM me. I can message you a sheet as to how I make my characters. Also, may I ask what genre you're writing?

eg8hardcore likes this.
  11. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

Welcome to the forums! I look forward to reading your work :)

12. Jakv6

Jakv6 Member

Good luck, man. I'm rooting for ya.

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

No; if you have a vanilla office job, you're usually scheduled to work five days a week. Though in many jobs there's pressure to work unpaid overtime.