1. Day Aranda

Day Aranda New Member

Does anyone have tips on writing personal narratives about "boring" things

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Day Aranda, Apr 12, 2024 at 6:27 PM.

I need to write a personal narrative, and there is nothing interesting about my life that I want to share. What would be acceptable and more importantly, how can I write about an everyday thing in an interesting way?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

First of all, don't write about anything boring. You just have a narrative about your life saying that it's all been boring, but that isn't true. What do you think would be interesting? Wild adventure in exotic places? Car chases and explosions? Real life isn't made of these things, and real life is in many ways for more interesting than these cliches. You've had interactions with people that were at times intense and combative, and at times came out much differently. These are probably the most interesting things to think about and narrativize. Anything can basically serve as an allegory or rather a corollary of a person's life, like say a video game you played once with a friend, where what happened in some way paralleled the reality of what was going on between you but that you werent't talking about (subtext). Good writing is all about noticing things like this, and figuring out how to frame them to bring out the inherently interesting aspects of them. Nobody has lived a totally boring life, it just isn't possible. You're just not used to seeing the intersting aspects of it, or maybe you just don't trust your ability to make it sound interesting in writing.

AmoraPaz and Not the Territory like this.
  3. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Much of the best writing has been about little things...

4. Starcatcher

Starcatcher Member

Some Youtubers online literally make their living telling stories about silly little things in their life. Think about a particularly memorable event that happened in your life. It could be scary, heartfelt, maybe even something dumb that happened when you were young.

5. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hello and welcome to the forums, Day!

Some ideas - Give it an insight. What undercurrents are at play? Use your imagination to make an impact. Seek out the unusual in the mundane. Evoke emotion. And sometimes the language itself is enough to carry the reader away...

6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You might be able to get some ideas from this blog post I did recently:

7. Eastwind

Eastwind New Member Contest Winner 2024

1. I went to the kitchen to make some coffee, then I fetched the paper to read the news.

2. I went to the kitchen to make some coffee, the aroma always reminds me of my mom's kitchen in the mornings before I had to go to school. My dad would take one sip of black coffee and frown at me, and I knew to run and get his paper. He always shared the cartoon with me, and that's why I still get the paper today; to remember mom and to share a moment with the memory of dad.

Just elaborate about feelings and meanings that make it relatable, even if it doesn't jump out immediately. With some thought there is a lot of meaning in even menial things.

Louanne Learning likes this.