1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Announcement New option for 'visible to forum members only' story submissions

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 28, 2014.

If an author prefers their story not be 'Google searchable' and only viewable by registered forum members, that option is now available. Just let me know. The story will be posted in the 'Private Submissions' thread and only the title and a link to the story will appear in the contest voting thread.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

What are the benefits from hiding the submission from Google or non-members? I'm just wondering what would be a prompt for someone to do so (Not saying anything negative about this feature, just honest curiosity)

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Often times when a publisher, publisher contest, or online magazine, will do a search using a portion of a submission in order to see if it has already been put online before they will pay for it or allow it in contests.

4. GingerCoffee

Good point @Lewdog, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking it was to keep everyone on the Web from access to potential plagiarism.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

As of now, I'm not doing this for two reasons.

First, people can still make an account here and look at any private submissions. So it's only a slight inconvenience for any would-be thieves and thus doesn't protect you very much. The best way to prove that you wrote the piece is to keep all the drafts you have. They will serve as proof just in case, though from my experience theft of other people's works very rarely happens.

Second, don't ever lie to a publisher/editor about a piece being online. If it has been posted online, say so. Getting published is hard enough as it is; you don't want to be known as the writer who lies about these kinds of things. While some magazines do consider work posted in password protected areas of a forum to be unpublished, many don't. It's better to be safe and not post anything you intend to submit.

6. GingerCoffee

I think the "don't lie to a publisher" has merit, @thirdwind.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

If the piece has been submitted to a private (password protected) site, particularly for critique, most publishers/contests don't consider that published as it's not technically available to the public. Now, in terms of the contests here, if they're viewable without a password, and are complete (ie, not just an excerpt), I would think that would constitute "published".

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

One of the reasons we ask that members only post excerpts has to do with the first point in my previous post. Anyone can create an account, copy your piece, and post it on some website. The piece would then be considered published. So even though some places may still take pieces posted in private sections of websites/forums, it's better to simply post an excerpt or not post anything at all if you intend to publish. Better safe than sorry.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

I'm only talking about contest entries, @thirdwind, not excerpts for critique.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure what purpose this really serves, other than offer a false sense of security. Anyone, or any entity, can create an account. That includes rogue archivers. In my time as a moderator, I was able to detect and eliminate a handful of archive bots, but I ha no illusions that I had picked off all or even most of them.

It may block indexing by search engines that play fair, like google, but that's about it.

Oscar Leigh and jazzabel like this.
  11. Lewdog

This response is about as illogical as telling police officers they shouldn't waste their time wearing a bullet proof vest because they can still get shot in the face.

12. Cogito

Sorry, that's a poor analogy. A kevlar vest does actually provide a degree of protection. This does not. It doesn't even prevent titles and usernames from being indexed.

It will help plagiarists lessen their chances of being caught though, by foiling searches to match excerpts. So I guess it does protect some folks.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Lewdog

You just said that it protects against Google and other search engines that play fair. Now you are saying it doesn't provide any protection. :rolleyes:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Cogito

The fact that google doesn't show content is meaningless in any substantive manner. I've made my point, and I'm done arguing over nitpicking irrelevancies.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  15. Lewdog

It wasn't so irrelevant that you mentioned it, but now that your own words are used against you it is. I didn't have to go to MIT to know that's a fallacy.

16. GingerCoffee

New contest theme will be "Mermaids" courtesy of BookLover. Anyone who wants to get started writing can. I'll post the contest thread tomorrow and instead of a PM, authors will post directly to the thread. I won't be responsible for the copy/paste problems. Yay!

Your entry will show up as anonymous until the authors are revealed after voting.

Charisma likes this.