1. little_writer

little_writer Member

New place to write...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by little_writer, Jul 10, 2015.

Where do you write, guys?

Well, I mean... your writing cabinet. Is it organized by the rulebook?

I've never thought about it before, writing my blog posts, short stories and essays with my laptop on knees. No, I heard of a workplace organization, all those things about how it influenced your work, inspiration, productivity, blah-blah-blah, but I considered it something for office workers only or employers who care about all this stuff.

This infographic on organizing a HOME writing cabinet has met my eyes, and I am confused now.
    http://omnipapers.com/ways-to-organize-your-home-writing-cabinet-infographic/

[​IMG]

Is everything so serious? Or I should just forget about this info and continue writing with my body on sofa, a cup of strong coffee, and a laptop in hands? Yes, it's comfortable for me, but still...

PiP and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

That is all such good advice!

I loved the suggestion that I should "Adjust it (my chair) to sit comfortable." (sic)

3. jen_writer

jen_writer Member

Oh luxury! I don't have a desk, I don't have an office. I don't work in an office but a shop (and get very annoyed when people assume that EVERYONE works in an office! Oh, luxury, to sit down and work *sigh* 9 hours standing up in a shop is so fun!- sorry :( rant over ).
    I am trying to be more organised and putting short stories in folders and started things in one file. I just need to put things in the right folder and get labels.
    We don't need a special place to write just write, imagination is with you where ever you are.

little_writer likes this.
  4. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

I guess mine almost complies (no plants and I don't drink tea). Two desks across from each other. I usually stand at the laptop table. The laptop occasionally accompanies me to a park bench or coffee shop.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

little_writer likes this.
  5. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

My writing desk has a desk, a laptop, speakers, my wallet, a lamp and a cup of Earl Grey (I hate green tea). You don't need an infographic to tell you how to set up your workplace. Each to their own.

6. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

image.jpg

When I need a break from my computer I go down to the basement. A corner in my art studio. Hermes Rocket!

Normally I'm on my computer upstairs.
    40" LCD TV as the monitor. Yes, it's very nice!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I usually do my writing at work when I'm supposed to be working (though technically my work is writing -- but you know what I mean). So I suppose my cubicle is in compliance. Needz moar plants tho.

8. little_writer

little_writer Member

yes, it's very important.. I usually write lying on my sofa... Understand it's not good, but... old habits die hard, you know ))

9. little_writer

little_writer Member

Yes, you are right probably...

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hooray for notebook computers. I can write anywhere, but my favorite place at the moment is in my backyard in the shade with a gentle breeze. I feel my fictional world there.

11. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

There's obviously no "office" requirement for writers. You write where you're most comfortable, and it shouldn't matter where other people write and how organized they are compared to you. To each his own, right?

I have a desk. But my office is currently being taken up by a queen sized mattress for guests. As soon as we get rid of it, I'll be moving my desk in there. It has awesome little cubbies for loose paper, a small drawer, shelves for books, and a cork board for my hand-drawn maps or timelines with a small shelf for pencils/pens and other small things.

Though to be honest, I don't know how much I'll use it. lol At the moment, I wake up, get my husband off to work, make coffee, smoke a ciggie, check Facebook/WR, then plop my ass in the couch and start writing in my notebook. I typically do my best brainstorming with a pencil, not a keyboard, especially outside. So I often sit on my porch and write. And laptops provide too much temptation to surf the interwebs. Once I start writing, I transfer a chapter at a time to my computer.

Maybe once I have something fully written and need to start editing, I'll use my desk. My mouse always falls off the couch when I try to write, and it's quite frustrating.. So editing at a desk would probably be much easier. lol

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I may be a 18 year old rascal but i really like seeing writers who still use the Typewriter. They don't crash like computers or get viruses etc.,etc. The Typewriter may have its disadvantages, but all human made creations do.

13. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Ah they do crash. Kinda ick to get ink all over your fingers as you wrestle 2 of the letters apart having mistimed your type. *shudder*

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  14. Fullmetal Xeno

At least they have Electronic ones but those aren't as popular for obvious reasons lol.

15. Aaron DC

How did you have your chair adjusted previous?

o_O ;)

16. Aaron DC

We don't need no electrickery. We're too busy adjusting our chair comfortable.

Speaking of which...

http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products/emperor-200

$49,150US

200 - oveviews.png

17. Aaron DC

I seriously want to try and build one of those at home.

18. Fullmetal Xeno

It's definitely worth the shot, that's like a writer's dream in a nutshell. I bookmarked that just in case i ever have the spare money in the future- but i'm not holding my breath on that . :rolleyes: I think you should try it but add a few cupholders and maybe an ashtray. Lol

Aaron DC likes this.
  19. Aaron DC

My ashtray will hold almonds, but I get your meaning. Custom building should happen for most things, I reckon.

There are much cheaper options from that manufacturer, I just chose the most expensive one for shock factor :D

20. Fullmetal Xeno

I didn't even know those actually existed for retail until you presented me this link. I thought it was still a science fiction joke lol.

21. Ezekiel2517

Ezekiel2517 New Member

Whoever wrote this does NOT want to get published. Starbucks is the only place worth writing in. I need them to know I am writing then I really feel like I am a writer. They see me writing and I know it.

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  22. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I have a really bad set-up now that has stifled my writing for years.

23. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

I write on my laptop in my room or wherever I am (I always keep my laptop on me).

24. little_writer

little_writer Member

Thank you all for your replies!

I have this lady at the table (sticked to my laptop), and she helps me a lot, actually. If you know the story of Misery by Stephen King, you'll get what I mean ;-) All writer's blocks disapper at once!

[​IMG]