1. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Question New Posts - Filtering

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Sack-a-Doo!, Jan 30, 2016.

I like browsing the list of New Posts, but I also come on this site to get away from politics and all the crap going on in the so-called real world created by the media. So...

Is there a way to filter the New Posts list so I only get stuff about writing... you know, the entire point of this site?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

....... *deep intake of breath followed by long heavy sigh* .....

Would that it were possible. You can filter (I believe) the Debate Room out of the list, but that's as much as I think the software is prepared to handle. Other than this, it would require a change in the forum rules regarding permitted topics, and my stance, which agrees with yours, would seem to be in the minority.

KhalieLa and Sack-a-Doo! like this.
  3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

@Wreybies is correct, it is possible to filter out certain sub-forums from showing up in the New Posts list: Go to your profile settings, hit "Ignore New Posts" (in the nav bar to the left) and choose the forums you do not want to see in the New Posts list. Note: This will only hide new posts, i.e. the posts that were in the list before you changed the setting will not disappear (until they're pushed away by newer posts, as usual).

As far as I know there is no way to filter out certain threads (based on keywords or something), however.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

You'd prefer to ban ANY topics non-writing related, not just debates?

Just curious :D

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Most forums restrict topics to venue-related themes, and for good reason. There's always a grey area. Always. That bit can never really be extricated, and theres little use in trying to pin down the difference between 11:55 a.m. and 12:05 p.m. The difference between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., on the other hand, is easy enough to denote and that difference is where the majority of difference lies. ;)

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Gotcha. I'm with you there.

7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Thank you @Wreybies and @Komposten. I've filtered out a bunch of stuff.

I have to agree with narrowing the topics list. If I wanted to talk politics, I'd join a political forum and if I wanted to read people's reactions to the news, I'd go to a news site. But I don't (on either) so I come here... to get away from it all and talk shop. :)

KhalieLa likes this.