1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

World Aids Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Dec 1, 2008.

I promised myself I was not going to put up a controversy thread concerning World Aids Day, but, well, it is World Aids Day today. As an HIV + individual, it’s kinda’ hard for me to let the day go by without commenting.

Just because we have medicine to fight the pandemic doesn’t mean we don’t still have a global pandemic. This forum is filled with young, bright individuals who are the future of their respective countries.

Be safe folks.

If you choose to participate in intimate activities, protect yourself every single time. There are all kinds of political messages I could post, and links I could attach concerning the significance of today, but I will keep it to just one noncontroversial point:

You are precious and irreplaceable. Treat yourself that way.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Heed this man. He has wisdom.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

He certainly does.

4. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I think that's the most touching message i've read here.

Last year I did some research into the AIDS situation in Africa. It is really shocking how bad an affect it is having both socially and economically in the region.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This morning they were talking about the good news/bad news about AIDS treatment. Apparently, the deayhs and new infection rates among heterosexuals has dropped, but the same rates among gays and bisexuals is about the same or slightly higher. No explanations for the discrepancy was noted. I wonder if it's the economics of treatment.

Until the rates drop for everyone, until there is a cure available to everyone, there is no cause to celebrate.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Good message Wrey. I find it interesting that the AIDS survival rate in countries like Canada, the UK, Australia and the USA can be excellent, while it is still a relatively short-duration death sentence in many coutries, especially third world nations with little modern health care or expensive medications available. Magic Johnson has led a very productive life for 17 years since his diagnosis and he is still going strong. He's rich, so I am certain he gets the absolute best medical care...and it shows what can be accomplished. Of course, prevention is, as the old saying goes, the BEST medicine. Thanks for your advice to all the members on this site, Wrey.

7. Wreybies

For this reason Brazil holds a special place in the hearts of HIV+ people. In line with Brazil's policy of self reliance, drug companies in Brazil have given the middle finger to American and European drug companies by all but openly declaring, "We will violate every drug patent imposed by the drug companies who sell HIV drugs at prices which put them only in the hands of the lucky and the privileged. We will break every chemical code you create, and we will give these drugs to our citizens for free whenever they need them."

8. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Thank you for this thread Wrey, because it hits home within my family circle...it is greatly appreciated. We can never be too cautious, we get one chance at life...let's make it the count.

9. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

It is true, you can never be too safe! And why risk it? Pretty much every friend I know in real life is completely careless when it comes to 'intimate activities'.
    Honestly I can't even count how many teenage girls have gotten pregnant in this town, or extracted STD's. One of my best friends has. And my cousin had a child a few years back and the father is a dead-beat. I don't think anyone I know pays much thought to HIV.
    A lot of people seem to not care about protection anymore. Not here, at least.

Considering I'm a virgin who has been kissed maybe once, I feel pretty secure. xD

10. Wreybies

Actually, that's pretty darned awesome. The media machine you have to deal with as a young woman does not support your choice, so I applaud you in sticking to your guns. Well done. ;)

11. Banzai

*claps for Solaris* :)

12. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I think it's great that the Brazilian government has cared so much for its citizens. I guess though Brazil's in a better position than most other developing states to do that. I think though what the government does makes a huge difference. It was only a few years ago that a high up politician in South Africa said he protected himself from HIV by having a shower, and also the president a few years ago as well said he didn't believe there was a connection between HIV and AIDS. It's quite scary politicians can act this way when over 20% of the population is HIV positive.

13. Banzai

That high up politician is now the president of South Africa, I think...

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Congratulations on your behavioral choices in life. It shows your strength of character.

As far as "...people seem to not care about protection anymore...", sex is not the only way people contract AIDS. Illegal drug usage, rape, contact with blood during emergency medical treatment and legitimate medical care like transfusions, sperm donation (artificial insemination) or organ transplants carry risk. And while this is "World Aids Day", there are other contagious diseases like hepatitis that need the same precautions. For this reason, it is important to be aware of ALL potential sources of infection and avoid risk where possible. For example, you can "auto-donate" blood before a scheduled surgery to avoid stranger-blood transfusions. If you do not need all of your OWN blood during the surgery, then the balance can be retained by the hospital for other patients who may need it. Kinda nice to protect yourself and help others at the same time.

15. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I wasn't aware of that, that's good to know! Thank you for tell me.
    The only 'surgery' I've ever had was dental.
    I don't do drugs... though I can't say I've never smoked pot before.

As far as my life goes right now, the only way I'd end up with HIV is if I were raped. And, well. I'm very hopeful that that doesn't happen. o.o

And I'm sure a large number of people don't realize, or really think about the fact that you can contract HIV from things like drug use.

16. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Not yet. The new president is Kgalema Motlanthe. Zuma (the guy you're referring to) is in charge of the ruling party, but he won't be president untill the next elections.

Thabo Mbeki (the former president, and the HIV denialist) was fired from the presidency by the ruling party - but not over his handling of HIV.