Tags:
  1. joanna

joanna Active Member

Genre Help!

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by joanna, Jun 20, 2011.

Brief plot: Bridget & Lacey have been homeless prostitutes and best friends for years, but become torn apart when Lacey meets and falls in love with an upstanding pre-med student, David. Lacey doesn't tell David her dirty little secret, so to win her back, Bridget tips him off. Dumped, lost and alone, Lacey runs off to discover herself and learns the awful and mysterious truths about her broken family, betrayals and heartbreak, and Bridget's sordid past.

The tone is somber but interspersed with witty observations; it's written in first person from Lacey's perspective, and she's reflective and somewhat intelligent, a student of the world.

What genre do you think this is?

I'm not even sure whether it's literary or commercial fiction, because I feel like it's a commercial-type plot with literary-style writing.

I'm always leaning toward urban fiction, because it's set in the city and because of the plot and the characters. However, urban fiction is mainly written by and about minorities, which I'm not. But almost all the characters are minorities except for Bridget, who's white.

Please help! Thanks!

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I don't think I can be of much help when it comes to deciding the genre, I just wanted to say I like the idea and it sounds really interesting, like a book I would read. :) Have you already finished it?

3. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

I see love written all over this one. Romantic drama maybe? Good story by the way

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It sounds like either chick lit or drama, but don't worry about that. Worry about writing it with the best possible quality and getting it finished.

5. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I think it is is a Mystery Romance my self.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as an agent/editor, i'd see this as only chick lit, or pb romance...

7. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I would say romance. Sounds like a good story though!

8. joanna

joanna Active Member

Thanks for your answers, everyone! It could be romance, I guess -- I've been reluctant to label it that because it is not the main theme, and it certainly doesn't read like a traditional romance novel. But it does contain romantic love.

I can see it as chick lit. I want it to appeal to everyone, but I'm sure it'd appeal to women more than men.

And yes, it's finished! I'm working on the sequel now. More answers are more than welcome!

9. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Sounds like a drama.

However the big sexists have invented the catagory 'chick-lit' which is basically, drama with women! So you may get dumped in that catagory, and severly demeaned in the process.