1. Greentea

Greentea New Member

hello...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Greentea, Jan 4, 2016.

Hello,

I'm new, but I just wanted to post here first to help me get started. I love writing and I hope one day to be an author of children/ya books. I have many ideas, but I have trouble writing them because I tend to be too critical of my own work. But I'm starting to get back into the habit of writing everyday, so hopefully I can one day post on here as well for critique. I am very shy and scared about posting, even generally, so it might take me a while to build up posts. I also tend to worry about people stealing my ideas, but I hope that's not the case.

I guess that's all for my intro :)

2. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Hi there

I'm very new to this too and have only really started writing recently. I'm a writer of fantasy/sci-fi so no danger of stealing ideas here :) Like you I'm a little nervous about posting stuff for critique but more because I'm afraid its rubbish.

Anyway I just wanted to say hi :)

3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi you two,

Don't be scared, all we newcomers are. You will get over it if you stick around, never fear. Don't give up too soon :)
    I've been a stranger also until recently, but this feeling passes as you get to know the people around, start making friends. The people around here are helpful too, and if you are too shy to post stuff for critique, there are plenty of resources around to let you get a start in on your own works without posting. That will come or not, as you get more confidence and decide if you want to post your work here.
    You don't need to post in the workshop if you don't want to. I don't. But when making friends they will maybe offer critique in private messages, just between the two of you. Sure, the first time giving out the first chapter or story is scary *shiver* but it is worth it. The first time is the hardest, everything else will be easy, promise :)
    Just start responding to other's threads, get to know styles, satisfy your curiosity. We will be around to help if you need it. And if not, more power to you :D

Welcome!

4. Greentea

Greentea New Member

thanks karldots and lifeline for the welcome and suggestions :)
    I guess I'll just look around the site and gradually get used to things. I think I've always liked this site better than other ones I've looked at. Hopefully I can improve my writing so I can post for critique someday too :)

5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

That's the spirit! :)

6. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Welcome, Greentea.

I think you made a good choice with this forum. I'm a bit of your opposite, as in extroverted and arrogant as hell. But I still learn, and if I can learn then surely you can pick up some tricks of the trade here. It's a good and friendly place.

Don't worry about ideas. I was told long ago (by an English PhD of somekind. I dont know exactly, Im in the math field) Every idea has been printed already, every variation and every combination has been done with few exceptions. Where does the originality come from? That's the writer's style and that cannot be stolen. Ghost writers be damned, lol.

Again, welcome and hope you have a good time here,
    AB