1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

The Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Sep 7, 2011.

The software upgrade went smoothly. Currently, I'm still working on the new design, making some tweaks, and customizing the new software.

There's still a lot to do from an administrator perspective, so expect new features and changes throughout the day. Eventually we'll have a style similar to the previous one (instead of the current default style) and several additional features.

Please report problems, issues, questions, or suggestions relating to the upgrade in this thread.

Edit: You may notice a few features missing, such as the blog. Don't worry, they'll all be back in good time. Once the upgrade is complete from an administrator perspective, I'll make a new announcement highlighting the features.

1 person likes this.
  2. the1

the1 Active Member

Good work Daniel.

It seems to have gone well. I'm sure many of the sites users' will find the new features of vB4 quite good!

3. Cain

Cain Member

People fear change, but they soon get used to things once they've calmed down, so I wouldn't bend too far backwards on this one (new look is good!)

4. Flowerfairy

Flowerfairy Member

Nice work, Dan! The contrast of colors here is brilliant. Yeah, I can see some extra effects on the user icons. Keep up the good work, Chief.

5. Daniel

Originally I tried to mirror the previous style completely, and it was more trouble than it was worth. I'm going to try to come up with something similar but different. ;)

Thanks. I'll still come up with a custom style
    Unfortunately it's the default style that comes with the software. I hope to have a customized style ready completely ready by the end of the day.

6. the1

the1 Active Member

It shouldn't be too hard Daniel.

I agree that keeping the default software theme is a BIG no. You should be able to mirror the old theme quite effectively. The only real differences lie in the new software features as well as the new editor and also the re-designed menu.

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, it'll take time for me to get used to it, but I do like the layout. =)

8. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

Well, so far, I love the upgrade! Aesthetically, it's much more sophisticated and sleek, which is just the kind of look that suits this site in my opinion. Very nice layout. Good work, Daniel! Thanks! =]

9. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

It's alive! It's alive!

And nice design too.

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I quite like it, though it's a bit difficult on my Kindle. Any plans in the works for a mobile version?

11. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Do you want a job as chief advertiser of the Kindle in the UK? :p

It's not exactly a massive change of layout. It's just aesthetically different. Which right now is a bit jarring (as is the fact it keeps logging me out rather than just leaving me logged on - thank God my computer has my password saved, because I'll be damned if I can remember it after signing up 3 years ago). If the plan is to bring it closer to how it was, then I won't have a problem, but I wouldn't have a problem with more aesthetic changes being made, just to freshen the place up.

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Looks pretty good. :)

13. Banzai

I pretty much am, by the look of things!

Wouldn't mind a paycheck for it, though.

14. DBTate

DBTate New Member

I must admit, I love the new layout.

I say keep it! People will get used to it, and we will all be better off for it. :)

15. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Hmm, I tried viewing blogs but I can't. I clicked on one and it said 'To use this product the plugin system must be enabled.' Is that something you're still sorting out, or is it to do with me?

16. Banzai

I've had the same. Since the blog feature is a plug in, I'd imagine it's just awaiting addition to the upgraded forum.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

WHERE AM I? :confused:

seriously, it looks great, daniel... will just take some getting used to is all...

thanks for all your hard work and for making/keeping this the best writing site ever!

love and hugs, maia

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

It took me a bit by surprise (I really should pay more attention to stuff like this) but I think I like. One tweak (and I don't think it's my pc 'cause I haven't changed anything) - the two right-hand columns on the main forum have all the second lines cut off (can only see the top half of the letters) and some of the first lines are like that.

But otherwise, yeah. Neat so far. Look forward to seeing what else is coming :)

19. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I was momentarily disorientated when I viewed my profile, everything is on the left now...weird...lol
    It'll take some time to get used to, but over all I like it.

Great job Daniel! :)

20. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I know it's not complete yet, but unfortunately I don't quite like this new layout. The latest posts subsection on the right was always an essential part of the interface for me, now it only displays the five latest additions, and its mixed with reviews and anouncements and the non-writing related stuff, most of which I never really paid much attention to. To have the ten most recently active threads on writing was very useful. I miss it.

21. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think the new layout works better than the old on my phone (iPhone). There's less wasted space.

22. Daniel

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. A few notes:

- The current style's the default, so it probably won't stay too long. If it does it'll be a secondary option. The sidebar will also have a makeover later this afternoon.

- We will eventually get a mobile-style solution, it's just not high on the priority list. I will look further into it, though.

- The blogs are down - I'm working on it. The blog system is the only real problem I had in the transition. I have class this afternoon so it might be a few hours, but it should be up later this afternoon.

- I'd like to stress that this is a partial upgrade, in a way. A lot of the software improvements will need to be set up, and the style still needs to be finished. ;)

1 person likes this.
  23. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I like it so far. Thanks Daniel.

24. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Thanks!

It'll take a while to get used to, though.

25. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I like it - the only thing that threw me off was the default style, but that's only temporary. Looking forward to seeing it when the changes are all said and done. :)