1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

So I have a conundrum

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Jan 26, 2010.

Back in December I had a piece accepted by an online e-zine. The editor said he would post the piece up immediately, although it didn't appear on the site. I waited until mid January and sent an email politely asking if there was a link available to my article, as I would like to link to it from my personal web page. About a week has passed, and I still have not received any reply.

1) Is this 'normal'(ish)?
    2) What are my options at this point?
    3) If the article never appears on their site, but they did accept it (and I agreed to allow them to post it), at what point can I shop it around to other publishers? What is the procedure for that?

I doubt it will come to that point, but it got me wondering. The situation sucks, because I had two publishers accept the article within 30 mins of each other, and had to tell one of them 'sorry'. I can't help but think that my article would be in view and circulation right now if I had chosen differently :(

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you searched for bad reputation, complaints, or civil actions against the e-zine site?

3. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

It's not unusual for people (usually writers) to create e-zines on the web that they're not very well equipped to manage. So, sometimes a zine will come and go without any particular notice. You may know that Duotrope, I believe, gives some input on experiences writers have with various zines, in terms of wait time and so forth. That might help give you a picture. And there are other places on the net to check out particular editors and find out if they do or don't do what they claim.

Some things to consider are (1) is this a paying publication or not? If yes, have you already been paid? (2) do you have a contract or not? If yes, see what it says about kill fees, if anything (what they'll do if they change their minds about publishing the article, as agreed to).

One option is to continue to try and simply find out what's happening with your article, and to express your displeasure and intention to see it in print somewhere else, if necessary. Could be its publication was postponed for reasons they didn't tell you (and maybe don't have to, depending). It's likely not worth any particular hassle (i.e., a law suit or threat or hiring an attorney)--I'd probably just walk away from it (as I did once with a published story on a zine that subsequently locked out its readers (I assume while the editor reorganized her over-ambitious efforts to have a viable web-based lit mag).

Another option is to inform them in writing that, given they have chosen not to respond to your inquiries, you have to assume they do not intend to publish your article, as previously agreed to, and your intention is to pursue other avenues if you receive no response by ... whenever (give them a date). IOW, if they don't put something in writing, you do it for them (and then be prepared to own up to the cirumstances with another publisher who decides to publish your story). IOW, these editors are just people, like you and like me. Treat them with some respect, but hold them accountable for whatever they promise (and expect them to do the same with you). That's all.

But I think a lot depends on that contract and payment thing. If there's a written agreement and compensation involved, that means the publisher's turning loose of something of value in return for the privilege of publishing your work. There's a reason why that system usually works best (it clarifies where the responsibilities lie and, at least to some degree, what those responsibilities actually are).

That's my opinion.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

check the site out on p&e to see if it's a dud, or not...

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pema.htm

and google for feedback from happy/irate contributors...

then, if there's a phone number available, call them!

5. LordKyleOfEarth

They seem pretty legit; they have been around for many years now. I was not paid for the article, but I still would like to have it 'out there' for people to view.

P&E doesn't list them maia.

6. mammamaia

that only means no one has sent any info on it to dave, yet...

7. LordKyleOfEarth

I still have not heard from them, so I would like to send another letter asking for information regarding the article's status. Would anyone mind giving me notes on my request email?

Dear Mr. Sheldon,

On November 30th, 2009 I submitted a piece titled, "Shopping Tips" to your publication. On December 5, 2009 I received a reply from you stating that you would like to publish the article on your site immediately, pending my approval. I responded on Dec 6, agreeing to allow you to publish the article.

On Jan 19, 2010 I contacted you asking if the article had been posted yet, and if so if there was an address which I could use to link my personal web page with article on your site. I have yet to receive a response to my inquiry.

I understand that sometimes mail gets lost to spam filters or other problems, so I am resubmitting my request. Could you please confirm if the article has been published and if an address exists for me to link to.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Kyle Baker

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Seems like a reasonablely worded letter to be sending that still sounds professional. and not desperate. I wouldn't wait too long, though, when you could be submitting it to publishers that pay and will help your chances of getting a book published (if that's what you want).

9. mammamaia

sounds ok to me, except for the following part, which makes little sense and needs some cleaning up...