1. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

A drink that can be made in something like a blender with orange juice and ice

Discussion in 'Research' started by Patra Felino, Mar 9, 2014.

My MC is hungover. He is very thirsty the morning after a big session and is in his well-fitted (he is wealthy) modern kitchen in London. What is a refreshing drink that he could make. The constraints are:

1. It must be noisy to make. He shouts up to his wife at the same time, knowing that she won't be able to hear him/he won't be able to hear her reply and that he can escape having to make her breakfast.
    2. I would prefer a blade or blades (of either something like a blender or just an ordinary knife) to be used in the preparation. It's a horror and I feel that blades offer a way of throwing in a bit of imagery.
    3. He must be able to chuck a couple of shots of vodka in (to show what a pisshead he is).

I tried putting ice cubes and orange juice in a normal blender, with laughable results. Help!

2. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Bloody Mary is a classic British hangover cure, and it contains vodka. It's not particularly noisy to make though, even if you could, if you really wanted to, make it using a blender.

It goes well with ice too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Patra Felino likes this.
  3. Patra Felino

Good thinking! He could easily whack the tomatoes in the blender, couldn't he? That way I could describe the blades cutting though the red soft flesh of the tomatoes or something.

The only slight problem is that I had in mind a drink that he could sneakily add a couple of shots of vodka to, rather than one designed as an alcoholic beverage, as he doesn't really want his wife to know he's drinking in the morning. I might go with it anyway, though.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Any of your basic smoothies would work. With or without added spirits. Some of them look so nasty no one will be tempted to sniff it for alcohol.

Patra Felino likes this.
  5. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Vodka freeze
    Margarita ( tequila not vodka)

6. Patra Felino

Cheers everyone. I'm not sure why I didn't think of a smoothie in the first place. The Bloody Mary suggestion has got me thinking about colors though, so I'm going to buy lots of fruit tomorrow and see if I can get some blackberries or raspberries to do something edgy and poetic in the blender.

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Anything with frozen fruity ingredients would make a lot of noise. I make strawberry daiquiris using frozen strawberries, rum, lime juice and a bit of sugar. Fling them all in the blender at once. They come out like slush. Yum. But what a racket!