1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

New Yorker article on SF/F author Gene Wolfe

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by Steerpike, Apr 24, 2015.

Nice, short piece on Gene Wolfe, one of the best writers going in science fiction and fantasy:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/sci-fis-difficult-genius?intcid=mod-latest

His work is well worth reading, if you're not familiar with it.

The New Yorker
    April 24, 2015
    By Peter Beberga
    l

Wolfe has published more than twenty-five novels and more than fifty stories, and has won some of science fiction and fantasy’s most prestigious awards. But he has rarely, if ever, been considered fully within the larger context of literature. His books contain all of the nasty genre tropes—space travel, robots, even dragons—and he hasn’t crossed into the mainstream on the strength of a TV or movie adaptation. Wolfe himself sees the trappings of science fiction and fantasy, the spaceships and so on, as simply “a sketchy outline of the things that can be done.” But even within fantasy fandom, Wolfe’s work presents difficulties. His science fiction is neither operatic nor scientifically accurate; his fantasy works are not full of clanging swords and wizardly knowledge. But ask science-fiction or fantasy authors about Gene Wolfe and they are likely to cite him as a giant in their field. Ursula K. Le Guin once called Wolfe “our Melville.”

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Though it may seem a little pedestrian to mention, his The Death of Dr. Island is a story that laser-etched itself into my memory. Talk about commitment to imagery! The reader can like it or hate it, but it cannot be denied that Wolfe was totally balls-out in that story. I loved it! :)

satellite_v1.jpg

3. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributing Member Contributor

I'm an absolute fan :) His "New/Long/Short Suns" series are what got me hooked, but I'd also recommend his "lesser" novels, "Peace" and "There Are Doors" for example, as well as his short stories. He creates dreamscapes of strange beauty, both baroque in details and vivid in imagery... An American catholic sci-fi Borges, if there ever was one ;)